More help on my 1872

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

More help on my 1872

Post by vince_o »

Ok some of you out there have done the command into the SGT's. I need help on getting this 18 command into this tractor.

I would put the mag in it but Im not sure it wont need rebuilt and I already know what I need to do to get it into the 482.

So heres what Ive got. Im like 2 inches short for the drive line. Id move the eng back, but im not sure that the fuel tank would fit.

I have no lathe to make something so i was thining of having a drive shaft made to make it longer. Any ideas would be great.
Attachments
100_9743.jpg
100_9745.jpg
100_9746.jpg
100_9747.jpg
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Re: More help on my 1872

Post by J Hayes »

Just a suggestion maybe use longer boltz and make spasers out ov like pipe?
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

I would have a new driveshaft made.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

The most reliable would be a new driveshaft. I use cold rolled and machine the ends to fir the bushings. So far, no problems. If you try bushing out the mount, you may induce some off center weight that may cause some vibrations and ruin a shaft in short order.

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

the driveshaft is the least of your worries you take out the splined coupler which is nla have fun finding one and not cheap

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Ray-

Are you sure that's NLA? The parts lookup still lists 903-1066 as available for about $120.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

junderwood
First and Last Name: John Underwood

Post by junderwood »

Vince,

Which engine plate did you use? Is that the stock Super drive shaft? If I have some time tonight I'll check the drive shaft table to see what it says and try to remember how my swap went. I know when I put the CV shaft in it came from the command powered super and was 26.?? long. It was the longest shaft available.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

John

The plate and eng are out of the 1863. No I just got off the phone with Ray and he inlightend me on some thing that I didnt thin of. Useing a drive shaft with the CV joints.

The we talked about food, we both kinda like food!

So Ill work on it some more this weekend and see what I come up with.

Also John let me know what you come up with as Im curious on how to put this togeather! Learning is fun! But at times costly. Could I run this as R and D work? :lol:
-Andrew Jackson

junderwood

Post by junderwood »

Vince,
I'll do some more digging, but I got my drive shaft from Ray. It is the CV style from the Command powered super and was a perfect fit. The only somewhat hard part is drilling/tapping the hydro input shaft to hold on the CV coupler. I bought a cobalt drill bit and went slow, then tapped it.

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

John

I got a heck of a set of drill bits. The best Ive ever used. So I guess Ill go with the round guy for the cv style.

Could you send me some pics of what you did on the pump end some time. Im still 2 3 weeks away from that.
-Andrew Jackson

junderwood

Post by junderwood »

Vince,
This is the only pic I have of it. Unfortunately, it is all together. If you get the right couple for the CV shaft the splines fit and it is held on with a bolt into the end of the input shaft instead of the roll pin like the rag joint coupler. Just drill and tap the end of the shaft for the same bolt the factory ones use. I think it is 1/4 x 28.
Attachments
P1060290.jpg

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

I may have to check with ray to see if he can get me what I need to convert the 1572 to the cv style. My current coupler is worn out and a new one is over 100 bucks so I might as well invest in a better setup. My brother-in-law does machine work and lathe stuff at work so I could have him drill and tap my input shaft
Adrian

junderwood

Post by junderwood »

Drilling the shaft is no big deal. I did mine in the tractor. Put a vise grip on the rear output end and then drill slow. The shaft seemed to be case hardened slightly, which makes sense with the splines. That is why I bought a Cobalt bit to get through the case hardened layer.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Adrian - As a mechanical engineer, I can't help but respect this as one of the improvements that Cub put into the Cyclops'. That being said, it was probably an engineering improvement for minimal gain; I haven't ever noticed any more driveline vibration in my 1872 than in my Cyclops machines. My rag joints were shot pretty good, but it never vibrated. I put in new rags and the motor coupling and it is still smooth. I suspect that my rag joints were original, 22 years old with about 900 hours. Just my input after playing with both. I wouldn't go through the effort and expense unless you have had vibration problems.

And... I have never visited Ray for less than $100!! :lol: (Sorry, Ray!)
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Tom....thats funny :lol:
I've never been to Rays , but I know that i wouldn't stop there without having at least $500 , because your gonna see something else to buy while your there.
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

rweaver

Post by rweaver »

hehehe Tom but you have not been here in awhile either
100.00 bucks your getting off cheap I would say

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I don't know that drilling the shaft is necessary. I have done two that I just drilled the coupler and put two set screws in at 90deg to each other. One of those is my loader and it is holding up well. Once the shaft is in place, it can't go anywhere.
My loader has a hybrid driveshaft. The rear half is the rag joint from a Super and the front is the flex coupler from a 2000 series.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

rweaver wrote:hehehe Tom but you have not been here in awhile either
100.00 bucks your getting off cheap I would say
Ray ! yer making yerself sound bad to the new guys. now they think ya charge admission just to visit.

I think ya meant it only costs fer How big of bag ya leave with and how full it is . :lol:

junderwood

Post by junderwood »

Todd,

I found it easier to drill the shaft than the coupler. The couplers I have were hard as heck. I couldn't even get the cobalt bits to do much. Either way would work, the shaft was easier for me.

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

If I understand Todd correctly, he drilled the super rag joint coupler, which is cast iron and not hard. The CV couplers are a completely different story and are hardened. You could probably drill them once you got through the hard layer on the outside, but it might be easier to just drill/tap the end of the shaft.

John-

How did you keep the hole lined up correctly while drilling? If I were doing it, I'd be tempted to take the pump apart and put the input shaft in a lathe and drill the end...that would be very easy and accurate, too.

junderwood

Post by junderwood »

Matt,

The shaft has a center already in it from the machining process and you are only drilling 1/2" deep or so. It worked pretty good. I really had no desire to tear this pump apart at that time.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Matt, John,
You are correct, it was the rag joint coupler that I drilled. And I had forgotten that the CV couplers were hard. In fact I think they are made from powdered metal. You can't weld to them either.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

rweaver

Post by rweaver »

to you new guys I have a challenge for you come on over the tour is free the farm smell and the all the dirt is free as well bring lots of cash and you will be good heheheheheheh how did I do

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Jim

Have you seen Ray? Hes as round as you are ugly! And you all know Im better looking and skinnier, just a bit in both coments!

I wouldnt know an engineering upgrade unless it was Jess in a bigger train. Ray and I had a nice talk over the rag joints and cv joints. As I was reading my first thought is that the drive shaft cant move much. Being bolted to the eng and on the pump. BUT turning as fast as it is you would need something to hold it in place. I like the idea of the set screws. So Ill have to drill the cv one and Ill take it to my friend that has a bridge port and some good bitts. He used to be a machinest so he will know what to do.

Really guys thanks for the help. I really like doing this. "making it work" and learning from those of you that have done this before!
-Andrew Jackson

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Jess - Yeah, I can't blame Ray; he doesn't sell you anything that you don't ask about. The problem is it is like giving your wife a fistfull of cash and turning her loose in the jewelry store; you just know what is going to happen!

Ray - Yes, I have avoided "Ray the Wallet Vacuum" for a little while! :D The last time I brought money you got nearly ten times the $100 mentioned. You had the vacuum turned on high that day.

On my last trip to Ray's, I got to watch my friend spend his money; that was easier to take. And Ray, the engine you sold him ran just fine, just like you said it would. ;)

For any newbies to the Ray initiation, the tour is for real; he has a forest of decks and dozer blades stood on end, many shelves of small parts, and a staggering collection of complete tractors, most of which are worth bringing back to life. But, if you bring cash, the vacuum will smell it...!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

vince_o wrote:Jim

Have you seen Ray? Hes as round as you are ugly! And you all know Im better looking and skinnier, just a bit in both coments!
Well If we were running an ugly contest I know you would win. (I never won anything in my life) :lol:
The skinnier part ?? I'm just a little shorter than you so, not so much round as it is too short. :D
Ray ? He would be as tall as us if he didn't run his legs off going around getting all those good deals that he so generously shares with us .. :P

I probably will never get to visit his "candy store" although I know he has lots of items I'd be interested in. Not that he would charge too much, It's more the( I want list) would make me broke. :(
:idea: I wonder if he would want to adopt a 66 year old son ?

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Ive been to Rays via the us postal service, transport net work only. I wanted to go to Danville and plow then stop off at his place for a few days then swing into ft allen, but I got a job so that ended those plans. my neighbor that has the horses that I clear land for goes Lancaster a few times a year, but he flys now cause the tickes have come down and gas has gone up. I told him the next time he goes up I wanna ride up with him.

Ol Ray has been good to me in the past. Seems every time I get some thing from him he throws in some extras. For example I got one of those large flat rate boxes of nuts and bolts he advertises and when he says "what hits the floor you get, you get"! I thin Im still living out of that box and I got 2 creeper knobs in the box and one was nicer than the one I had on my 106. Then I got my NOS sub frame from him, I got enough shrink wrap to tie the kids up with, just couldnt throw them over the power line! But the real deal was in my tiller I got from Ray. That there was the best. I asked if it came with everything in the pic he sent me and he said yep what you see is what you get. I called him back and said Ill take it all! Oh I was so excited! I got it all thats for sure, cause I got all the grocery store coupons that were on the pallet from the news paper! :lol:

Ol Ray he sure dose deliver! HEhEhehehehehehe

Seriously for anyone that just new to this and reading, if you cant find it anywhere, call Ray cause he will have it.
-Andrew Jackson

rweaver

Post by rweaver »

Jim we are not taking adoptions any more I was just asked 2 days ago if I wanted to adopt 2 more guys which I declined its hard to feed what we have here now
Vince you lucky dog so thats what happened to all my creeper knobs I thought somebody stole them cause we are really short some

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

rweaver wrote:Jim we are not taking adoptions any more I was just asked 2 days ago if I wanted to adopt 2 more guys which I declined its hard to feed what we have here now
Awwww sorry to hear that ! :( Just give me a couple wrenches, and maybe some table scraps

on special holidays maybe a baloney sandwich......, I'll sleep with the Cubs :D :lol: :lol:

rweaver

Post by rweaver »

Jim thats the main staple of the weaver ranch is baloney so you would fit right in every now and then we do olive garden you may as well come down and see what your missing