I'm blaming this one on BB!!!!

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

I'm blaming this one on BB!!!!

Post by stevet »

3240.jpg
3240.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 9625 times
After seeing BB fall in love with the 3000 series tractors, I started keeping my eyes open in case I came across one, you know, just because! Well, I found one!! Came across this 2001 CC 3240 40th Ann. Edition. Has a few odds and ends that need attention, as they always do, but runs great....the most important part! Looking forward to getting to know this one better!

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: I'm blaming this one on BB!!!!

Post by JMotuzick »

Steve
If you find another at the right price let me know :? Seams we can blame my search on him too!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Steve - Good to see you on here! Good find. You will love that deck. I have the 54" on one of my 2182's, and it is the best cutting deck I have ever used, and mulches leaves great with a mulch plug. You might have the 48", I can't tell from the pic, but they are the same design. I cut grass without the mulch plug, and it scatters it really good (well, at least without the discharge chute guard... :roll: ). Mine didn't come with the guard, I might try to find one.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

PaulArthur
First and Last Name: Paul A. Freiburger

Post by PaulArthur »

Hi Steve,

Great looking GT3240 - I really like the anniversary color scheme. I am looking forward to more pictures and details after you give a good look over. Congratulations on your find!

stevet

Post by stevet »

Joe, I'll keep my eyes out for ya!!!

Tom, it is a 54" deck. Definitely looking forward to cutting with it, I love the fact that it's a shaft driven deck. Transfers all of the power to the deck , nothing lost in between and no belts to break! Looking forward to checking it out more when I get a chance!

Paul-Thanks! I will definitely post some pics as I go. Needs a good cleaning and will definitely be getting a few odds and ends fixed that I've seen already. Looking forward to trying it out!!

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Nice find Steve! Your going to love the foot controlled hydro and tight radius power steering. Those decks are the best and I think you have the good one with the roller striper in the back.

stevet

Post by stevet »

So I finally got some time to clean up and get to know my 3240 better. All in all, cleaned up very well.

Motor appears to be well taken care of and certainly this isn't the first time it's been cleaned up! Had to change the battery cable ends from automotive type back to l and g type, not a big deal. There are a few controls and things on the dash that need to be repaired or replaced....again, nothing earth shattering.

So, once all cleaned up and fluids checked, decided to give it a test run mowing what I have for grass (still very spotty this early!!). Here are my initial impressions:
1. Love the tight turning radius! Really makes it easy getting around everything.
2. HATE the reverse pto disconnect. That will get taken care of very shortly!!!!
3. The 54" deck is BIG! Probably bigger than I need, but I'm going to take my time and keep working with it.
4. Love the way the deck cuts. Very nice and even cut.
5. Like the differential lock. Had a couple of occasions where I started to lose traction. Stopped, engaged the diff lock and was able to move on easily.

All in all, quite liked it overall. A few things to get fixed and a couple of others items to address, but first impression is very good!

PaulArthur
First and Last Name: Paul A. Freiburger

Post by PaulArthur »

Hi Steve-

Glad to hear your new tractor checks out well - you never know exactly what your are getting when there was PO.

Yes, not only is that 54" deck big, but it's heavy too! I have the 48" version deck and man, it's way heavier than the 50" suspended deck on the GT2550. They put a lot of extra beef in it to stand up to ground contact.

Ditto on the diff lock, as I too have places where I can use it regularly. Also, it's especially useful when blowing snow, as it saved me last winter when I got a little too close to the culvert.

Keep us posted as you get to know the 3240 better - cheers!

Doog M
First and Last Name: Doog Martin

Post by Doog M »

Doesn't look to bad Steve. You will have to let us know how it mows.

duke
First and Last Name: john carolan

Post by duke »

Nice GT i also like that color design.I can't speak for the 54" deck but the 60" on my 3235 does a great job.

-----------------
3235 2284 1882 1872 2165

stevet

Post by stevet »

So over the weekend I decided to drop the mower deck and get it lubed up and sharpen the blades or switch them out with the new set that came with the tractor. I knew they definitely needed to be sharpened....but what I found was much worse than I expected!!!
3240 blades 1.jpg
3240 blades 1.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 9441 times
3240 blades 2.jpg
3240 blades 2.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 9441 times
Sooooo....obviously I chose to go the new blade route! while I had the deck off, I did get everything greased up, put some Never Seize on the spindles for the blades so it'll be a tad easier to change them next time, cleaned the deck up some and back on it went. Also took care of the annoying little pto killing reverse switch while it was easy to get to!!! Needless to say, had to see how it did with a good set of blades, and WOW, what a great cut this thing gives you! I was even more impressed than I was before....and I could back up!!! Not sure how it cut as well as it did with those old blades, but they had definitely seen better days!!!

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

HaHa I hadn't been on the site for a few weeks and I find myself blamed for other's behavior! :)

I'm glad you like it. I hate when I suggest something and the person doesn't like it. I feel responsible!

I would suggest before you get too used to it to take the rear end out and take it apart and Loctite all the bolts in it. It seems some of these tractors were built either not tight to begin with or they just plain need Loctite to keep the diff and diff lock together. Once a bolt comes out it's a bad failure.

Congrats on the new tractor and it looks like you, me, and Tim can start our own 40th anniversary club! :)
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

stevet

Post by stevet »

Ha BB, you shoulda known it was getting blamed on you! :D Hopefully this weekend I will be pulling the fender pan and taking care of all of the bolts In the differential, giving it a good cleaning and making sure everything is good to go. Been working on it a little at a time and getting a few things fixed up. Still loving the way it mows, although I'm thinking I would prefer the 48" deck over the 54", but that's for another time!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

The oil in these from cub is very very expensive. Lots of folks have been using 15w-40 or 20W-50 synthetic motor oil without issue and that's what I used in my rear, so far so good. I was not going to pay the nearly 20 bucks a qt the dealer here wanted..
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

So Steve... you gonna update this thread and blame even more crap on me? :)

stevet

Post by stevet »

Of course I am!!! So since BB called me out already, here is 3240 #2! Found this on about an hour away. Overall in better shape than 3240 #1, also has the 48 inch deck which I was really looking for. Fenders are a little banged up, but otherwise sheet metal is in really good shape. Only 570 hours on this one, #1 has about 800 hours. Sooooo.....yes BB, still all your fault!! :beer:
3240 #2 1.jpg
3240 #2 1.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 9382 times
3240 #2 2.jpg
3240 #2 2.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 9382 times

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I bought a brand new rear fender pan from cub for about 220 bucks from my local dealer. I hated to spend that much money but it was pretty easy to unbolt the old dented one, and install the new one.

stevet

Post by stevet »

I'll have to check into that. What did you do about the Anniversary decal on the back?

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

stevet wrote:I'll have to check into that. What did you do about the Anniversary decal on the back?
Very carefully with a heat gun pealed it off, and then cleaned the gunk off the back with acetone. I then reapplied it with 3M spray adhesive. Worked out pretty well.

Also if you want to look up any parts for these tractors I have found the messick's website parts look up to work pretty well.

http://www.messicks.com/

stevet

Post by stevet »

Thanks for the link BB. They are actually not far from me at all. So in doing research, I've found out a few different things. MTD must have some quality control issues! :D Here is what I have found:

1. 3240's are supposed to have the 22 hp Command in them, I have seen them for sale with not only that motor, but also the 23 hp command as well as the Kawasaki water cooled (I think 20 hp). Not sure if they just put Anniversary sheet metal on those because they had it or what, but found that kind of odd.

2. The front bumper on both of my 3240's has the blue Anniversary graphics, but I have also seen 3240's with the standard black graphic or none at all on them. Again, not sure why this happened, but just something I've noticed.

3. With BB's research, found that we don't really know how many were built due to not very good record keeping.

4. Attachments for them, if you can find them, are very expensive! I've been looking for a couple of things and I think I may have to sell my first born, although that actually saves me a fair amount of money in grocery bills every week!!! lol

All in all, I really do like the 3000 series. Other than a few issues BB has outlined in his thread, they really are nice machines! Still trying to find out more info on them, but there sure isn't a lot out there, even in todays internet world!

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Steve
I'm in town I'll be over tomorrow to pick up the first one... Think I can strap it to the roof of my little 4cyl car?

stevet

Post by stevet »

Absolutely!!! I've even got a hill in front of the house we can jump it on there for ya!!! lol

stevet

Post by stevet »

Well finally got to mow with 3240 #2 yesterday, and definitely do like the 48" deck better. It may take a few minutes longer, but the deck is more manageable for my property. Fortunately, this 48 also has the rollers like my 54 does, so it still gives that striped look. All in all I'm very happy with 3240 #2!
3240-2-4.jpg
3240-2-4.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 9320 times
3240-1-4.jpg
3240-1-4.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 9320 times

stevet

Post by stevet »

So today wound up being pressure washing day for the 3240's. The 54" deck desperately needed a good cleaning, as did the underside of 3240-1. After getting everything cleaned up, greased and lubed, just waiting on a new set of PTO belts to put #1 back together. #2 got cleaned up just so it wouldn't get jealous of the attention #1 got!! lol
Cleaning 1.jpg
Cleaning 1.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 9320 times
cleaning 2.jpg
cleaning 2.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 9320 times
Cleaning 3.jpg
Cleaning 3.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 9320 times
Cleaning 4.jpg
Cleaning 4.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 9320 times

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Pull the fender deck Steve.... I guarantee it's nasty under there!