GT3235 Update

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
PaulArthur
First and Last Name: Paul A. Freiburger

GT3235 Update

Post by PaulArthur »

I finally got enough front hydraulic angling parts together to get the tractor back together and install the 3 point hitch. A used lift valve (which I rebuilt), NOS hard & rubber lines, and new aftermarket quick connectors & fittings got things completed up to the front hitch – now to find an angling cylinder that won’t break the bank.

A 3 point hitch plus dual front hydraulics mean 4 lift valves need to be integrated. The way the factory did it was to stack all four together on the left side, with the front-most lift valve controlling the 3 point via longer lines. It requires another hole to be cut in the floor pan for the lift lever to come through, in front of the cup holder. The kit (#759-3971) has been NLA for a while now, but it is still shown on the Cub Cadet Parts website, although the individual parts are almost all NLA also. Although I could have probably found this kit on the internet, I have seen others add the valve for the 3 point on the right – installing another cup holder – and I liked that idea.

The right side frame LOOKS like it is set up to install more lift valves, but it only kind-of works. The lift lever holes are in the right place, but as the lift valve brackets get reversed when moved to the other side, the holes to mount the valve don’t line up – one needs to be drilled and another needs to be elongated. Also, the valve has to go in the rearmost slot, as a transmission fluid hard line and the control linkage block the other spaces. The return line on mine (this varies from early to later) was long enough to connect to the front port on the right, and the 3 point lines also fit fine on that side.

Image Image

That leaves the lift valves to be connected side to side, with a couple of options to do it. From what I can tell, the shouldered line held in by line retainer plates is not widely used elsewhere, so most hydraulic shops don’t form this end. I did hear of a shop in another state that does have the equipment, but it was kind of pricy. Luckily, the 3000 series hydraulic hoses can be disassembled and re-used to make another hose. I bought used two of the hoses that go to the center lift cylinder and CAREFULLY cut the crimp collars with a Dremel tool and then bent them until they separated from the hose and fitting. When cutting these apart you must make sure you only cut through the crimp collar and just into the rubber – it you get into the barbs or cut through the locking collar, its junk. I attached the two ends to the lift valves and used fuel line between them to determine how long the hose needed to be. The hydraulic shop then made me a new line using my ends to the hose length I determined, for just under $20. Not bad.

Image Image Image

After getting all the hoses situated and the transmission vent relocated forward (using a 90 degree fitting), the tank could be refitted and the 3 point hitch installation finished. The 3 point is pretty simple, EXCEPT for the fact that the hitch plate bolts thread into the side frame rails, and the two top ones stripped. Getting locking nuts on the backside with everything in place is a job for a contortionist and one with more patience than I (lots of very bad language is used during this operation).

Image Image

A tracing of the cup holder opening is made from the left fender and copied over to the right side. The lift lever slot and cup holder hole was cut out, and the mounting holes drilled (along with the holes for my taillights) and the cup holder fits very nicely. The left side has a recessed area for the cup holder that the right does not of course, but it’s not too noticeable.

Image Image

However, pictures of the finished fender pan and cup holder on the tractor will have to wait a bit longer, because I found that the floor pan areas under both foot pads were very rusty, as was the flange on both parts where the pan and fenders bolt together. I decided to sandblast all the rusty areas and shoot both the pan and the rear fenders with Cub yellow. So it will be a bit longer before it’s finished while I get some materials together.

Image Image

I have figured out that while for the most part this 190 hour tractor looks like a 190 hour tractor, it also almost certainly spent its life outdoors. The earlier mouse infestation problem, more weathering in areas than it should have for the hours, and now the pan and flange rust (the water/snow collects between the foot pads and pan, creating rust) all tell the tale. In addition, all the areas NOT exposed to the weather look like new and wear points aren’t much worn, so it all fits.

More to come after I shoot the fenders and floor pan.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: GT3235 Update

Post by Tom Scott »

Paul, excellent work. If you are able to post larger pictures, they would be a little easier to see. I am not sure how you are posting them, but when you use the "Upload attachment" feature below the editor, then "place inline", usually you get a photo that can be clicked on to expand the pic. Your pics are not expanding for some reason.

Anyway, very nice work!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Nice job on all the plumbing! Yea....i like that i dont need to log in to view your pics, but like Tom said i cant enlarge them. I have been wondering how a select few can add photos that dont need a log in to see. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

PaulArthur
First and Last Name: Paul A. Freiburger

Post by PaulArthur »

Must be the picture hosting service I am using, Tiny Pic. I will fix them.

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Pics don't work.... :(
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.