1862 power steering

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Tim DeLooza
First and Last Name: Tim DeLooza

1862 power steering

Post by Tim DeLooza »

I have an 1862 that started leaking oil out of the top of the steering column. I got a new face seal (22) and it fits over the seal spacer (24) but the spacer is loose on the input shaft (26). My question is how tight is it supposed to be? Was it originally a press fit so fluid wouldn't leak by, or is it supposed to be loose? Also I'm not sure I have the back up ring (23). What's it supposed to look like?
steering.jpg
steering.jpg (113.08 KiB) Viewed 2021 times

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Re: 1862 power steering

Post by Paul B »

Tim
I have a TRW Power Steering Manual that covers the disassembly/trouble shooting/assembly of the Hydraguide steering system if you need it. It may answer your questions. It has the same parts breakdown in it you posted, so you may have it.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 1862 power steering

Post by Tom Scott »

Tim - I don't remember the specifics of the individual parts from when I did mine, so I only have a more general comment.

Rather than try to replace an individual seal, I would just get the kit and do the whole thing. It really wasn't that hard of a job. The worst part was getting the steering column out of the tractor (1872) which isn't really hard, just not the way you would choose to spend a Saturday.

If Paul has the for real manual, that will make life even easier. Cub's directions in the manual are likely just a reprint of that. If found it was useful to compare the newer Cyclops manual to the older 72/82 series manual, and to have them both in print right where you are working.

It looks scarier in the book than real life. As with any hydraulic work, set up as clean of an environment as you can. I give up on cleaning my workbench and just set up a folding table with a piece of sheet metal on it as a work surface. Build the jig to hold the unit as in the Cub manual. Metal would be best for production work but I made mine out of a piece of plywood, worked fine.

The only slightly dicey part is the last step, reinstalling the cover with three springs laying in grooves horizontally; you have to come straight down on them and not let up so you know they didn't move out of their grooves. A helper here to thread nuts and snug with you would be useful. The kit also came with an exploded diagram, which helped identify some pieces.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><