1811 back from the dead

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
eplummer
First and Last Name: Eric Plummer

Re: 1811 back from the dead

Post by eplummer »

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachmen-

Could this be the cause of my electrical woes......one step forward, 2 steps backward!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 10829 times

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Well that's not how the factory wired them.......
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

I agree! I count 6 wires and 5 slots on the switch. I looked up the wiring diagram and it looks to me like the two white wires go to the same tab? :dontknow: Does this seem like reasonable logic? or should there be a 2 into 1 then onto the tab in the switch?

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Both whites get crimped into the same connector. While you're there pull all the connections and clean them and apply some grease to keep them from corroding.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hi Everyone,
Put in some time today taking off the hood and other bolts to gain access to the rear oil seal. Things went surprisingly smooth as far getting things loose. I need some advice on how to remove the crank bolt? Is there a way to wedge or hold the collar that is spinning that is behind the pto when I turn the bolt?
Thanks
Eric

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Eric - This is that junction in your life where you justify an impact gun. If you don't have an air compressor, then your cost just went up considerably to make the jump.

If do have the compressor (or can afford to buy one), you won't regret getting the air impact gun. You don't need one often and shouldn't be used on many jobs, but this is one of the jobs where they shine. You would have that bolt out in less time than it takes to go hook it up.

Alternatively, there are electric impacts, but I am not a fan of them. Someone may come along that has a good experience with them, mine is just one opinion.

Finally, if an impact gun just isn't in the cards, you can have a helper hold the driveshaft using either the front or rear coupler. Might be able to "carefully" wedge a pry-bar against a the coupler bolts and frame. I'm hesitating as I suggest this, because you could hurt a coupler if your not careful. You might be able to use a strap wrench around the rear rag joints as well.

Resist the urge to hold the driveshaft with a pipe wrench, it will mar it up bad.

Good Luck, let us know how you do!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

While I have 3 battery impact guns no wait 4 at home and one at work air is still in the tool box and comes out more often then one would think! Two of my battery guns are 14.4v 1/2" drive dewalts they are both going on 10 years and are well used! One lives in the trailer tool box and is just for the bolts that hold my home made ramps in place. The main gun is a 18v dewalt 1/2 drive. It gets used a lot around here. The PTO bolt would probably come off with this gun, it's newer and still has a lot of power. The last is a 1/4" dewalt. It works great for 1/4" stuff and normally has a 7/16 socket in it. Also very handy for screws for other projects. The air gun comes out for those stroborn big nuts bolts. Like blade bolts that have not been off since ragen was in office.... At work we have other brands of cordless all have there place I think I'm switching to Milwaukee for my next cordless set, I just bought a cordless band saw for work and it sure is sweet!!!!!

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

So....I might have to buy a new tool??? That's to bad...not. I did get a black and decker tool kit with various attachments for Christmas. One says it is an impact tool, guess I will check it out.
Thank you again for all the help.
Eric

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Impacts r great....but I don't always feel like turning on the compressor, pulling the hose, bla bla. I try a quick smack w the hand on the end of the rachet handle. If that don't work....I move to a 2' long 2x4. A couple sharp blows sometimes will work. If not....then u need the impact! Yesterday I just took off the PTO and flywheel on my 20. I used my fist for both....but I probably should have used a block of wood :oops: To remove the PTO....remove 4 backing bolts..... lubed the crank shaft w penitrat..... Installed the bolt back in the crank a few turns shy of tight....then tapped on the bolt head while pulling on the PTO assembly. It should start to walk off.
IMG_20160102_145025801.jpg
IMG_20160102_145025801.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 10811 times
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Thanks again everyone for the input. I borrowed an Impact gun from my brother in law and had the bolt loose in 2 pulls on the trigger. Worked the assembly as suggested by dag1450 and had the PTO off in under 5 minutes.
What a dirty mess! The existing seal was pushed out on one side. I was able to work it out with a mini screwdriver and some patients. I used a piece of pvc pipe to drive the seal in. Was a little unsure at first but it did eventually drive in to the correct depth...maybe a little more? Filled crankcase with oil and put a paper towel under shaft. Hope that it is still a white paper towel in the morning!
Top photo is the before and bottom is the after.

Next question, does the key slide into the groove first, then the pto ? Or pto first then slide the key into the groove? If the key goes in second how far down the groove?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 10807 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 10807 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Not exactly sure what u r asking but I think this is what u want. Put the key in the shaft...as u r sliding the PTO on the shaft line the key up in the groove. As u push the PTO back it should set the key just where it needs to b. I'm telling u this from memory... I will look tomorrow.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Thanks. I think that tells me what I need to know. Kind of 1 step forward and 2 steps back today. Bought a new breather element but discovered that the gasket had a tear in it. Of course I broke it into 2 pieces. It was really brittle. So I will try and get a new gasket tomorrow and get the breather put back together. I did manage to clean out some more of the dirt, grass and caked on oil that had built up over the years.
Thanks again for the help.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

As far as the pto removal method, it is safer to tighten the crank bolt back down on some washers that are small enough for the pto to slide over it.

By doing this the entire crank snout takes the force, which is where you want the impact anyway, and that way you are not relying on the threads to take that kind of force. Also, best to use a shot filled no bounce or a brass hammer, best to avoid steel-on-steel impact so less likely to damage object being struck.

Good job on the progress!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Update on the 1811. No visible leaks from the oil seal when the engine was running....did notice a pool of oil on the right side engine rail but not until I had shut the engine off so don't know if it was just a drip or a leak? Maybe will figure it out this weekend. I am suspect of the external oil line. Also some leaking from the left nut on top of the hydro. I hope that is as simple as an o ring. I guess I have a few (more) things to investigate.
Dag1450-Thanks for the advice on the key way. I did a test re install and it seemed to be perfect.
Attachments
1811 hydroleak.jpg
1811 hydroleak.jpg (8.19 KiB) Viewed 10786 times

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hi Everyone, Could someone please confirm/deny a few questions I have regarding wide frames?
IH wide frames (1650) have a cast iron rear end, CCC wideframes (1811)have an aluminum rear end?
The IH wide frames are more rugged and could take the weight of a rear mounted tiller, the aluminum rear ends..not so much
Will the lift bar and rear casting of the 3pt hitch from the 1650 fit and operate on the 1811?

I have an agri-fab box scraper with a sleeve hitch that I would like to pull behind the 1811 as it closer to being operational than the 1650 and will "borrow" the lift components from the 1650. Being able to raise and lower it will sure make things more enjoyable.
Thanks
Eric

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Let me start by saying I have no 3 PT hitch... So this is just me thinking out loud. The upper cast piece will probably work on the 1811. The the lift rod I have no idea. My main concern and I think yours would be mostly where the lower part of the hitch bolts to the cast aluminum rear housing. That sounds like trouble. They make a rear frame plate ( recently heard it referred to as a bagger plate) that u could install first then some how bolt the lower part of the hitch to that. That would transfer most or all the stress up to the frame and not the rear. But....u may then have to cut out for different things to work with that plate installed. Rear braces would also b a must. I would not bolt directly the rear without some major beefing up somehow. This is a good topic Eric.. Maybe others have done this and lets hope they can shed some light on this for u. Dave.

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

What you can actually do is buy a 3 pt hitch for a 782 with the Frankenstein bolts and buy the lower bracket from xtreme motorworks designed for the aluminum rears. It will have 2 tabs that attach to the axle tubes as well as the back plate, which I've heard of people having good luck with. The 782 3 pt will have the correct casting and lift bar for the 1811. I think your casting from the 1650 will work, but you definitely need the Frankenstein bolts. The lift bar I'm not certain about.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Thanks for the input. In any event if I want to do much more than pull a garden cart I should make some changes to the rear end. So..working from the rear end out I would need the back/bagger plate which the 3 point hitch would attach to, then the brinly sleeve hitch would attach to that, and the scraper blade/scarifier would attach to the brinly hitch.

I noticed on the xtreme website they have a 3 hole and a 4 hole option for the u-shaped piece, is it just a matter of more holes more options?
Thanks

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I made my own super bottom link for the sleeve hitch. I have been running it on my 1872 for like 5-8 years now with no issues. The 3 point has its own "bagger plate" it will cost about 500. Then the a-frame adaptor is about 1-150 more. Just use the sleeve hitch and the cast aluminum rear bottom plate from extreme attritional bring the adapter and then you can run your greader box....

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hi All,
I have been using the 1811 Frankentractor through out the fall for light duty, pushing leaves and dirt around to make a walking path through the woods. Not having 100% confidence in my task of replacing the engine seal I did not replace the pto 6 months ago. Now, the shaft has a lot of surface rust and I am thinking I should put the PTO back on as my seal replacement seems to be a success. ( I might want to push my luck and run a snowblower on it??) Can anyone offer a process to remove the rust? Chemically or physically??
And, a related concern....before I took it off the pto would engage when the switch was engaged but would stop after a few seconds even though the switch stays on.
As always thanks to everyone for their input!
Eric

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Good job on the seal! As for the rust, If your brave.....No I will not suggest that :o . Plan b would b sand with a like a 220 wet paper and maybe use a light oil as u sand. I can't believe it's that rusty. It might not get back to the shine of fresh turned....But should get the pto on. I would hesitate using chemicals unless u r super careful around the new seal.....And u already own them. Try the paper....Like u r shining a shoe.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

+1 on what dag said.

pto, look in the manual and check/adjust the air gap. It is an easy job to do.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

I think the shoe shine method is excellent advice and the direction I was leaning. Will give it a go later today, hopefully!

Oak...what is this "manual" you speak of??? Thanks, I have it downloaded so will reference. Don't know what an air gap is or what it is for but I will research that too.

Thanks again for the help!
Eric

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Hey Everyone, Got the PTO back on and there is power to it, at least I can hear the click when I engage the switch. Tractor wouldn't start. But it has been in the 20's here in Massachusetts and was in the single digits yesterday when I tried. The engine would crank but I don't think fast enough to generate spark. I have not changed over to the winter weight oil, could the cold temperatures make the engine oil so thick it would lug the down the engine?

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

eric
oil temps in both the engine and the rear end and a weak battery all will make it hard to start!
A few years ago i bought a magnetic block heater at tsc it works good and when stuck right on a rear over night it makes a hard starter fire right up!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Joe is right.....Cold and tractors don't mix. I just want to point out..The block heater is a grt idea on the rear. And one would think do it on the engine also....Well that's not as easy. There is Litterly no spot for a stick on block heater. Now they do make dip stick heaters. A couple years ago....For an experiment..I aimed a hair dryer right in the front exhaust tin work to blow on the cylinders if u will. Had it on for about a half hr I think. Most times when it's cold like this....It takes something creative to get them going.
One last thing. All batteries r not created equal. For winter u need the best lawn tractor battery u can get. I think it might b like a 340 CCA?

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Thanks once again for the input. I had thought about redneck engineering an old heating pad by adding a couple of magnetic strips to accomplish the same thing, but haven't done it. Less hassle if I buy one! I used a dip stick heater on my car years ago when I lived in Maine without a garage, it worked pretty well. Will check out the CCA's on the battery.
Temps are supposed to reach the low 50's here on Thursday, maybe that will be a good day to try again.

michael
First and Last Name: Michael Knott

Post by michael »

not its not a parachute.its my solution to cold weather cranks. 800cca. :geek:
004.jpg
004.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 10741 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (994.25 KiB) Viewed 10741 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 10741 times
001.jpg
001.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 10741 times

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

So..This didn't look just right...I didn't think that there should be a gap between the top and the bottom of the plate on the back of the PTO. My take away is that I should not try to reassemble anything from memory :oops: :oops: :banghead:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 10727 times
The plate is not flush after reassembly but much closer...I must have pulled it out of shape when I put the PTO on the first time. The gap is still bigger than I am comfortable with so might try to persuade it back to flat with some sort of press. Will update as (if) progress is made.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Pto sets flush against the block. If it's not....I would bend it back till it does
IMG_20170116_190932688.jpg
IMG_20170116_190932688.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 10727 times
IMG_20170116_191004063.jpg
IMG_20170116_191004063.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 10727 times