THE 3240 thread

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Re: THE 3240 thread

Post by bbaker »

Didja git it back together yet? :)
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

BB
things have been busy on the cub front of late. Friends and family always seam to find me! I did a clutch for a 106 last week had a 126 get dropped off this week for the same treatment, a 1200 with a striped second gear and a new HD LT model with a curagre engine, seams the rocker arm nut backed off with 195 hours.... got it running again today. hopping to tie up all those lose ends this weekend. after a trip to Maine last weekend and to DC for Halloween not much time for my new "toy"! i'll get it going before snow witch around these parts is any day now!

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Progress! I hope to have her running again before work on Monday!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 10886 times

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Well my wife went with her sister and my cousins to the mall after thanksgiving today.... I went home and got the 3240 back together! I am out of oil and it was after 9 so I'm inside for the night, it cranks and no sparks when I hook up the battery! Oil in the morroning and then to see how she runs! I'm hoping to have time to pull the fenders and pressure wash everything, it's a mess under there! Then it's off to my parents for winter storage!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 10884 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Good job Joe. Your garage looks like mine....can barely walk around..... :lol:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Looking good Joe! Hopefully all is well once she fires up! But how in the world can you be out of oil????? :lol:

stevet

Post by stevet »

So, while we're on the 3240 topic, again, it seems that another one of those jumped on my trailer and came home with me! This one was a little more expensive than others that I have had, but given the overall condition being near showroom new and that it had some valuable attachments I need, it made it all worthwhile. The hour meter shows 500 hours, but given the near immaculate condition, I'm thinking the key may have been left on at some point and the hour meter just turned.
3240-3-1.jpg
3240-3-1.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 10877 times
3240-3-2.jpg
3240-3-2.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 10877 times
Deck hanger underneath the tractor. It look like it had a deck on it when new, but taken off and never put back on.
3240-3-3.jpg
3240-3-3.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 10877 times
Even the snowblade is in excellent shape.
3240-4-4.jpg
3240-4-4.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 10877 times
And my favorite part, Cat 0 3 point hitch!!!! I had the A-frame already, but had to put it on and put the tractor to use already!!! :beer:
3240-3-5.jpg
3240-3-5.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 10877 times

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Good deal Joe, hopefully she's up and running by now! :)

Steve, you know I think you did good on that one. :)
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

stevet

Post by stevet »

That I do BB, but I almost hate to use it! :lol: Needless to say, I am, but I will definitely take good care of it, as I do with all of my equipment.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Steve
I had about 5 quarts but no two alike! That's better now!

BB
Not yet I only spent 5 minutes on it today, I topped off the oil but no pop... I'm guessing I didn't get the valaves right as I installed the head but never double checked the adjustment. Hopefully tomorrow.........

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Good Grief Dude... :cry:

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ok so all day and still nothing! I'm back where I started..... Seams this valve train is self adjusting with the hydro lifters. Valves are opening right.... The side with the new coil is getting better spark then the used side but both seam like it should run... I even pulled off the sump cover and checked my timing, dead on.... I'm not sure what I did wrong here.... Fuel spark compression timing.... Well I guess the last thing could be a sheared flywheel key don't think I ever heard of a Kohler doing that but maybe! Any ideas would be a help, for those that don't know this is a Kohler ch23 same basic engine as the Ch18's used in the Cyclops era.....

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

i just wanted to let everyone know what i found...

it seams that when i ordered the replacement coil for the beat up one i ordered the wrong one! :oops: some Kohler engines used a spark advance built into the coil. Thats the one i ordered! I swapped one out from a ch18 i had here on the shelf and it ran! I spent a hour or two getting the engine bolted back down and everything right only to find it wonldnt run unless the clutch is pressed in ! a couple jumpers on the clutch switch and it moves ! now to figure out what the problem is .... I think its the seat switch and my next move is to pull the seat/fenders and clean all the crud under there hopefully the problem will find itself once I get working on it again tomorrow.....

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Joe - Glad you're making headway on this one. Should be getting easier from here on in...
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Tom Scott wrote:Joe - Glad you're making headway on this one. Should be getting easier from here on in...
:beer:
I hope so for his sake too.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Well I think I have it figured out!

The engine is all back in order, the seat switch is not happy it seams I pulled the fenders off, and jumped the switch out everything else works as it should. I have washed the transmission down and after leftovers for lunch I hope to get things going again! Some progress photos.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 10837 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 10837 times

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Well, after messing with the switch I guess it just wasn't plugged in properly! All is well again :beer: . No photos outside in the dark but I took it for a spin. That posi is the cats arrrrs! I took it up a steep spot out back I normally can't go up. Once I started spinning I stopped hit the brakes and then locked in posi. I slowly went forward the 10 feet or so into the level and again stopped hit the brakes and back came the posi peddle. First time I was able to drive up that spot in the yard. :beer: now all this is done I can park it for the winter :( being the last stored it will be the first out come spring though!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Yay they are the cats a$$ of cub cadets :)

stevet

Post by stevet »

Well, this should tease dag for a little bit! After a roughly 720 mile round trip, picked up a couple of goodies for the Cubs. Haven't had a chance to unload yet, but will get more pics when I get a chance!
Snowblower.jpg
Snowblower.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 10833 times

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I know I know lol

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Cool! U got like a "Cub" pie.....some crust and fruit filling. Sweet blower! I hope T.S. sees this blower....it might inspire him to get his painted :lol: . Nice haul Steve!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

stevet

Post by stevet »

And just what do you know BB??? Something about a blame game??? :lol:

dag, I'm anxious to get the blower on the 3240. It's shaft driven, so no belts to deal with!! As for the plow, it's going to be taken completely apart, cleaned up and painted. It's missing the A-frame to mount it to the tractor, so I'll either order one from xtreme, or see if I can locate an original one if someone has a plow that's worn out. It's actually a Cat 0 plow instead of a sleeve hitch plow. You know, I need more projects like a hole in the head!!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

stevet wrote:And just what do you know BB??? Something about a blame game???
I know it's more fun to spend your money than my own :)

I know you'll probably be careful telling me your looking for a particular item in the future. :)

I know it gives me a sense of satisfaction to help a buddy out :)

stevet

Post by stevet »

Ha, all of those are sooooo true! The reality is, I couldn't be happier with finding the snowblower, they seem to be few and far between and this one is quite nice!! You do always find a way to help! :beer:

stevet

Post by stevet »

This will wind up being a couple of different posts to show how the quick hitch on the 3240 works. Quite honestly, had I known how great these things were set up, I woulda bought one years ago! Both sides of the snow blade have a pin that slides out at the bottom, this allows the blade to be lifted off of the lift frame and removed.
blade removal 1.jpg
blade removal 1.jpg (178.41 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
blade removal 2.jpg
blade removal 2.jpg (191.15 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
blade removal 3.jpg
blade removal 3.jpg (309.31 KiB) Viewed 10817 times

stevet

Post by stevet »

Putting the snowblower on is just as easy, with the exception of hooking up the pto shaft. All in all, it took me less than 5 minutes to switch from snowblade to snowblower!
snowblower attach 1.jpg
snowblower attach 1.jpg (198.51 KiB) Viewed 10818 times
snowblower attach 2.jpg
snowblower attach 2.jpg (171.52 KiB) Viewed 10818 times
snowblower 1.jpg
snowblower 1.jpg (267.95 KiB) Viewed 10818 times
Snowblower 2.jpg
Snowblower 2.jpg (257.62 KiB) Viewed 10818 times
Snowblower 3.jpg
Snowblower 3.jpg (229.93 KiB) Viewed 10818 times

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Looks great Steve! Glad to see you got that on there, and also that it works once you got it home! These tractors have always been out of reach for me price wise. Not that I couldn't afford them, but I certainly wasn't going to pay as much as they cost 10 years ago. Now they are getting some age on them you start to see good deals here and there. I've probably got more in mine than I should but like you I have a couple really nice tractors and I'm happy with them.

I think as more people see the success we have with these, and when they find one locally for a good price they will pick them up and these may be the next best thing since the 82 series went away. Will they ever share the same popularity as some of the earlier ones, no probably not but they sure do make a nice tractor to keep at the house for chores! :D

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Makes me want to find one too !!!!

Can the blower be power angled too? Or is there a lock of some short keeping it in the straight on postion?

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

JMotuzick wrote:Makes me want to find one too !!!!

Can the blower be power angled too? Or is there a lock of some short keeping it in the straight on postion?
It could be, but I bet it would destroy the pto shaft. There is a manual angle "cyl" that goes in where the hydraulic cyl goes when the blower is on, or if you just have a manual angle blade like Steve has.
Attachments
snowblower%20attach%202.jpg
snowblower%20attach%202.jpg (176.24 KiB) Viewed 10822 times

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ok kinda like a damper then!