HDS 3185 Questions

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
mikem5000
First and Last Name: Mike Morgan

HDS 3185 Questions

Post by mikem5000 »

Hello,
New to the site but not to older tractors.. but this one has me stumped a little, I recently bought a 3185 98 model (only year made So I seen after getting it) and wanted to know if it was really worth getting for a long term mower?
[URL=http://s43.photobucket.com/user/mi ... .jpg[/img][/url]
I keep seeing people from other sites saying it wasn't a good tractor and a lot say it is so I'm confused. Plus I went online to find a sleeve hitch and seems like they are few and far between. So I came up with this and it seem it costs about 800.00 Anyone here every used this setup?
[URL=http://s43.photobucket.com/user/mi ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Also love the way this thing mows with the driveshaft deck....mine came with the 48" and a steel block off plate where the chute went to make it a mulching deck. Is this a true mulching deck? it cuts everything just as small as my old Simplicity and Wheel horse and no clogs left in the yard so it looks awesome once done. It does have brand new high lift gator blades on it.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: HDS 3185 Questions

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome Mike. Looks nice. Every model and series has its qerks.....and u will always have someone love a tractor and someone hate it. I don't know that model to get into details.....but u own it and it sounds like it's working good. So your question....is this tractor worth putting a lot of money into...like the 800 dollar 3 pt hitch? Hopefully someone who knows this model can come by and help u out. To me that sure sounds steep for a hitch so I hope u have a good excuse for the purchase. :lol: Good luck with it. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Mike, the 3000 series tractors are the best cutting machines Cub ever built and you have the good deck with the striping rollers. Take the time and set your deck up properly so that side to side it is level and the blades are about 1/8" lower in the front. You need one of these bad boys if you don't have one yet.
DSC04115.JPG
DSC04115.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 10162 times
Now, if your just bushhogging weeds in the yard then it doesn't matter what deck you use and once you get the hang of the foot controlled hydro, you will never want to use anything else for mowing and the tight radius power steering is awesome. Say "goodbye" to the crappy mule drive belt system all other Cubs use and the maintenance free driveline is another great design. You also have a great engine (18 HP Briggs Vanguard) and I like the vacuum operated pto system too.

The hitch you have pictured is not correct but you could prolly get it to work. Here is the correct cat 0 hitch for the 3k machines with an A frame adapter. They are NLA from Cub but sometimes they show up for sale. As Dag said, some people just don't like these machines but give it a try and if you don't they sell pretty quick. Oh, that is a great looking tractor too. :beer:
DSCN0202.JPG
DSCN0202.JPG (3.69 MiB) Viewed 10162 times

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Nice early Sears wheel weights, too!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Todd......PLEASE tell me that is a picture from a brochure and not your tractor! OK...if it is your tractor tell me it is a trailer queen and u dont use it to mow......Holy smokes :oops: ...i must b mowing the wrong direction or something...i have green grass chaff, smuts, and juice everywhere :lol:

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

I have a 3240 that I use as my primary mower and I love it! Bryan Baker from this site turned me on to them when he started out with a 3165/3185 and 3240. They are great machines, plenty of power, mow really well and you can find attachments for them, but they do tend to be a little pricey. All in all, I haven't had any complaints about mine yet and I think you'll find that it's a very good machine! Mine also has the 48 inch deck and I love it....I also had one with the 54 and that cut just as well if not a little better, but the 48 just works better for me. Enjoy it, I think you'll find it'll do everything you need it to!

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

Oak cant see the pic,,,,,,can you show it another wy that I need?

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

yeah I know the wheel weights are eairly subarian weights from a sears deal but they work......when others say where can I find wheel weights for the ace symeterical wheels of the 3000 series

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

I bought this one in a lean too sitting there for 10 years ......bought it home and they said it didn't bring the mower blades on ....I bought a new vacume switch and it spins perfectily

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

its not dented and not abused and NO rust what so ever
I think I got a good deal but was just worried about people talking it quits .........mainly because of the hydro rear

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

Can I count on it for years down the road or throw it away like a Lowes mower?

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

Mine also came with a steel plate instead of the plastic insert to make it a mulching deck ,,,,,,can show pic but blurry ......but need to know if its a good mulching mower with this add on [URL=http://s43.photobucket.com/user/mi ... .jpg[/img][/url]

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

mikem5000 wrote:Can I count on it for years down the road or throw it away like a Lowes mower?
So its a Lowes mower in your opinion?

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

I bought a new 2001 Troy Built that I have set aside since 2003 and this machine seems to have more functions and does the work I asked of the troy bily and ....now I understand the llowes/depot junk...so that's why I'm asking about this one since its still a MTD machi

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

I'm going to try to utilize all I can off that troybuilt

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

Thank ya'll for the info

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

I'll keep mt little 30 lb weights on the 3000 series.....know I'm not cub original but love the machine .....do that's me

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

And I will utilize that manual hitch by cutting a hole for the trans dipstick

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

Oak wrote:Mike, the 3000 series tractors are the best cutting machines Cub ever built and you have the good deck with the striping rollers. Take the time and set your deck up properly so that side to side it is level and the blades are about 1/8" lower in the front. You need one of these bad boys if you don't have one yet.
DSC04115.JPG
Now, if your just bushhogging weeds in the yard then it doesn't matter what deck you use and once you get the hang of the foot controlled hydro, you will never want to use anything else for mowing and the tight radius power steering is awesome. Say "goodbye" to the crappy mule drive belt system all other Cubs use and the maintenance free driveline is another great design. You also have a great engine (18 HP Briggs Vanguard) and I like the vacuum operated pto system too.

The hitch you have pictured is not correct but you could prolly get it to work. Here is the correct cat 0 hitch for the 3k machines with an A frame adapter. They are NLA from Cub but sometimes they show up for sale. As Dag said, some people just don't like these machines but give it a try and if you don't they sell pretty quick. Oh, that is a great looking tractor too. :beer:
DSCN0202.JPG
Alreadt leveled it and it came with gator blades....it mows awesome .......I just want to know the longevity of the mower itself ......I loce the driveshaft deck?

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

I bought it for 9 bills and it came with extra filters and oil .....rear does not leak .....deck stays up till I come back to it .....tires are original with cub on it as being 24"s not 23"s
Just wanting some info

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

Oak wrote:Mike, the 3000 series tractors are the best cutting machines Cub ever built and you have the good deck with the striping rollers. Take the time and set your deck up properly so that side to side it is level and the blades are about 1/8" lower in the front. You need one of these bad boys if you don't have one yet.
DSC04115.JPG

DSCN0202.JPG
I replaced the front guide wheels and the outer striping wheels and it works great

mikem5000

Post by mikem5000 »

Now I replaced the lights also ....now it has the original back up lights and the running lights

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Dag, that is my 3205. I picked it up off of CL without a deck for $400 but it was in pieces. I purchased it for the engine (Liquid cooled Kawi) and found out soon after how nice they are so I hunted down a deck and completely redid it. It was a lemon and was returned to the dealer and sat in the shop for 10 years and had some parts taken from it. Rich Patton took care of all my missing parts needed and it is my go to machine.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Very NICE Todd! I think i figured it out....u have afro turf.....and u just drive around and pretend to mow. That how it stays so clean :lol: Good job on sniffing out the deals Too !