steer axle info

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
pballard
First and Last Name: Pete Ballard

steer axle info

Post by pballard »

I wanted to ask a maybe dumb question, I have a 782 that I want to install power steering and to do the super steer axle upgrade, I parted out a 1641 that had power steering from a 1864, the guy I got the 1641 was telling me that the 1641 has the same front axle as supers? Looks like the spindles are heavier than what is currently on my 782- wheels have grease fitting on them. Also the axle looks like it will turn sharper than what is on the 782. But I don't know if the above info is true. Or will pictures be required- I know pictures make everything better sort of like with BACON!
thanks- pete

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Re: steer axle info

Post by VScott »

Pete,

The 1641 did not have the same axle as the supers. A super garden tractor axle is much heavier than the standard gt axles, and strictly fits the supers.

The "Super steer" axles allow the wheels to turn sharper because of the angle of the kingpin area , and have a higher arc that allows the use of the 48" and 54" gt decks. There are two different "super steer" axles. One has a higher mounting point of the center pin. That one raises the front of the tractor 2". If you are going to use the super steer axle and spindles, make sure that you get the front wheels as well, there is an issue with bearing size or spindle size if I remember correctly. I had the serial number range of what tractors had what axles somewhere, I will try to come up with that in the next few days. I believe all of the 1864s had the 2" higher axle part number 719-3100-0637, so you are going to be putting a 2" lift kit on the front of your 782. I have seen this swap done to a 782 at Red Power Roundup in 2012, and I was very impressed!

I may be adding too much info here, but if you use the power steering gear from the 1864, you will have to extend the tube and shaft so it will extend through your dash, or use the longer column from the 1872-2072 (steel hood supers). I believe you would have to make the hydraulic lines from the pump to the lift valve or use them from a steel hood super because of the location of the cyclops valve.

pballard
First and Last Name: Pete Ballard

Re: steer axle info

Post by pballard »

I believe there is never too much info- I thought the "super steer upgrade" was a direct bolt in modification. I was already going over in my head what to do with the steering column. Hydraulic line are no problem. thanks for all the great info! pete