1782/2182 Side Panels

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

1782/2182 Side Panels

Post by Tom Scott »

Willy - I recently bought the muffler side panel (RH) new for my 2182. The 2182 and 1782 use the same panels.

The side panels for the early machines had five large air intake louvers at the rear; later models had a single screen for the same area.

The only side panel still available is the late panel (with screen) for the RH (muffler side).

Here is the confusing part; if you look up the panel for the early machines, it is a differerent part number than the later machine, and both numbers are still available. The difference is that the early number (759-3670, $274) includes the metal screen and RH decals. The later number is the same panel, but does not include the screen or the decals. It is a kit versus individual pieces.

I only discovered this after Messick's did some calling to Cub for me to explain why my "early" panel that I ordered didn't have louvers. Their rationale was that if you ordered for an early tractor, you would need the screen, as you didn't have one from the old panel. If you ordered the later part number, that meant you had an old panel with a screen, and could use that one.

Clear as mud, eh? So... I too need to contact Mr. Weaver for a LH panel. Or, the LH panels for the air cooled engines are available from Cub; they just need a bunch of tiny slots cut into the front to be correct and provide cooling. Doable with a template and dremel, but not pleasant if you make a mistake.

Also, on this subject of Cyclops panels... The replacement grill assembly (should be called a cowling) (759-3773, $129) includes the complete sealed beam kit. I got one of those as well. I will probably spring for a hood while they are still around too...
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Willy
First and Last Name: Ray Williams

Re: 1782/2182 Side Panels

Post by Willy »

Hey Tom,
Thanks for the info. I remember you saying something about this on the registry if I recall...

So what I think you're saying is that I can order the right hand panel new and it should be correct because I have the later version?

Here's a few shots of the ones I have on my 1782. The tabs are broken on them, so they both need to be replaced as well as the decals. I spoke with Mr. Weaver earlier today and he is checking to see what he has, hopefully I won't have to buy a new one!
leftside.jpg
rightside.jpg
-Ray

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 1782/2182 Side Panels

Post by Tom Scott »

Willy - Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was you that spawned this last time! Good to hear from you again.

Yes, either part number will get you the later panel; you just have to decide if you want it with the screen and decal or not. I think the difference is about $25. Your screens look a little pushed in, so might be nice to get new screens. (Screen comes unpainted.)

The decal that comes with it should be correct for yours too. It has the stripe and both "Model Number" (1782/2182) decals for the right side.

I will now need a LH because my new right has the screen, and my left has the louvers. Can't win!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><