PTO's 4.6 or 6 inch

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Ike
First and Last Name: Dwight Byers

PTO's 4.6 or 6 inch

Post by Ike »

I have a GT 48 deck on my 782 with a CH 20 in it that we currently mow with. It does a nice job, but I always thought it should lift the grass better. Thanks to you guys I think I now know why. The CH 20 has the 4.6 PTO on it that was originally on the KT 17 in this tractor.
If I used the GT 48 deck and a 6 inch PTO on the CH 22 that I want to put in the one 1862 that should make a real nice mowing machine, if I understand you correctly.

As for the Snow Blowers, could I use a 551 (or 451 with extension kit) and 6” PTO on the 1862 with the higher axel, or a 450 with extension kit and a 4.6” PTO?

I currentlu use a QA 42a on an 1811 that does a nice job. Just looking down the road and thinking I'd like to move to one of the two stage units.

Thanks,

Ike
Take Care,
Ike
“Integrity – Doing the right thing when no-one is looking”

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: PTO's 4.6 or 6 inch

Post by Tom Scott »

Ike - I have replied to the 46" deck in you Axle post. As for the 48" deck, let us know the model number. If it is one of the later decks (probably a 317), then yes, you should run that with a 6" pto.

I believe your snow thrower understanding is correct. Any of those combinations will get it done. The only thing I am not 100% sure on is if you will really need the extension kit. They are not a big deal; just two plates of metal with a dogleg, and a longer belt. Ray Weaver on this site sells them as reproduction items.

If you could put your location in your profile, a member here might have a snow blower to offer you.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Ike
First and Last Name: Dwight Byers

Re: PTO's 4.6 or 6 inch

Post by Ike »

Tom,

The 48" deck is a 317.

I updated my profile, location is Butler, PA. which is 30 miles or so north of Pittsburgh.

You guys are a wealth of information. I'm not sure where you get all this info but I sure appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Ike
Take Care,
Ike
“Integrity – Doing the right thing when no-one is looking”