CCC built 782 driveline picture

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

CCC built 782 driveline picture

Post by Paul B »

Can someone post a good clear picture (from the top with the tunnel cover off) of the rear rag joint and bolts of the driveshaft couplings on 782 (CCC built 1984 if it makes a difference). I bought one of these (should have stayed with the IH narrow frame models) and the rear rag joints were missing and bolts were loose. The new replacement rag joints seem to be too thick and/or the bolts appear to be too short (1-1/2") so I need to see if I am missing something. Thanks in advance for any help that may be provided.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: CCC built 782 driveline picture

Post by Tom Scott »

Paul - Here you go. This is from my 1872 which conveniently has the tunnel cover off so I can get to the input shaft leak... :(

Those are 1-1/2" bolts in there, Grade 5, with hardened interference/deformed thread locknuts. Correctly tightened the washers have just started sinking into the rubber. Too tight just destroys the rags. (Make sure you are not trying to thru bolt from one coupling to another; each coupling is bolted independently to the rubber only, 90* apart in rotation.)
1872 rag joint left side.JPG
1872 rag joint left side.JPG (493.55 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Thank you Tom, that is what I needed, and that is the way I have the bolts I believe, I'll have to check them again when the temp goes up a bit. I had to work out in the heat and cold on an Air Force flightlinefor a lot of years, I don't have to work in those temps now, AND DON"T :lol:

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Paul.....isn't it nice to b working on the drive line standing over the top rather than lying on your back?
Just one of the benefits of a wide frame! :lol: Any pics of this 782?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Paul, I ran into the same problem on my 882 a few years ago. Here is what I found.

Existing rag joint
Old rag.JPG
Old rag.JPG (293.95 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
New from Cub Cadet
New rag.JPG
New rag.JPG (633.42 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
4 of the old stacked up was equal to only 3 of the new. I ended up cutting a new drive shaft.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

My rags were replaced within the last five years ago or so with new parts from Cub, can't remember exactly when. I will measure the "free" thickness where the rag is not captured by a bolt.

Oak's measurements show 0.060" difference each, or 0.120" difference between two new vs two old stacked. For that kind of difference I would just consider longer bolts if necessary, I don't think they are close to interfering with anything else.

Yes, if the rags are overly thick it could be a problem, I just think there is room to squeeze another 1/8" or so in there. If it was really that close you might also have room to take up slack in the motor mounting plate and slide it forward in the hole clearance if needed.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Tom
There is probably room for longer bolts, but another problem could be in pinning the two couplings to their respective shafts with the thicker rags between them, if I can't gain a 1/8" or so on the motor plate to move the driveshaft forward..

Oak, thank you.....I think :)

dag1450
So far I'll take the narrow frame, even if I do have to lay on my back, at least the NF parts usually fit....... :lol: