Fired up the 2082

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
kbrothers
First and Last Name: Ken Brothers

Fired up the 2082

Post by kbrothers »

Finally got the 20 mag together and ran for a few seconds. Shut it off and am adding more oil a little at a time to full.Oil seems pretty black for only running a few seconds. Now do I just let it idle ror 10 or 15 minutes ,then retorque heads? then what's the best break in procdeure? Any advice appreciated I'm off to the chiropractor Have a greatday all! Ken in Pa :D

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Fired up the 2082

Post by Farmallgray »

Ken,
What all did you do to it? On a fresh rebuild I like to put them under a good load by letting the grass grow tall then mowing it fairly fast. It is a good idea to vary the load as well.
This forces the rings against the cylinder wall and helps them seat in. I run that way for 5 hours then change the oil. Then run it normally. I usually change them again at 15 hrs then every 25. I think Kohler recommends every 50 hrs on Magnums with an oil filter, but I still go every 25.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Doog M
First and Last Name: Doog Martin

Post by Doog M »

Ken
Glad to hear you got the 2082 back together and running.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Don't let it idle for a long time until it is run under a load. Will result in weak ring tension with walls.
Black oil sounds like the oil galleys were not cleaned out and held old oil.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Glad to see you got it running. How about oil in the lines may have not been drained. I like to run mine under a load, grass, plowing. Dale M taught me that, also I have a good hill I run them up on to to load them up.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

kbrothers
First and Last Name: Ken Brothers

Post by kbrothers »

Haven,t had a chance to break it in yet, no grass to mow and deck is off Have the snow plow for it but took it apart to paint. Am thinking of hooking my son's Cub trailer behind to break it in What kind of load would it take ?? Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all Ken in Pa Vince while you're up hunting deer chase a BIG one up to Cambria County for me

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Ken - Enough load where you can here it pulling on the governor, maybe pulling the engine down by 200-300 rpm under load, but not straining it too bad. Even if you don't have a tachometer, you can hear when you are working it pretty good. If you have a hill you can climb, they are good for putting some load on it. Even a mild hill should do it if you are pulling a trailer with some weight in it. Doing that repeatedly will also vary the load/rpm as you will be going up and down. That should seat the rings well.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><