60" deck

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
cwcub
First and Last Name: Corey Wilder

60" deck

Post by cwcub »

Greetings all,
First post, hope I'm in the right place. Here's the deal I have a 1872, 3 Point, snow blower and 60 inch deck which is white and says cub cadet on it, way heavy, is that the haban deck? The m18 is tired, blows oil into carb so rerouted crank vent out of carb. runs pretty good doesn't smoke but on start up but she's down on power a bit. Looked at repower 2grand for the honda bout 1800 for the vangaurd. So i'm looking at a 1863 good shape for 1500 with a cyclone rake. I know it isn't a super and it doesn't have power steering but will it take the 60" deck? if not then what tractors will accept the 60" deck

Thanks in advance for your response

Corey
cwcub 1450 1650 1872 782

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: 60" deck

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome Corey! Just this past winter I had a 2072 w all the same symptoms. I also looked into replacing the engine w another but did not want to end up with a lot of little modifications to make it work. I'm more of a keep what it was born with guy.lol. so I decided to rebuild the mag 20. I'm still in the process but have a lot of the hard work done....cleaning... Machining.... Paying. I just need to assemble. How many hours on yours do u know? As I got into my engine I feel the cause of the oil was the dried and cracked valve seals. If your hours arnt too bad I would maybe think about what could b called a freashin up rebuild.....some valve work....some seals....if u would do the work I don't see this costing more than a few hundred. I'm into mine for about $1000 with no crank work yet.
If your 1872 is pretty nice it would b a shame to abandon it. So while my 20 is being worked on I installed a low (ish) hour 18 mag in the tractor..... And that is powering the 60" haban very nice. With my sharp blades I'm going through real tall spring grass.
Keep us posted. Dave
IMG_20160407_194042399.jpg
IMG_20160407_194042399.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 4470 times
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Corey - If you really have a Haban 60" deck, it will only fit on a SGT, not a standard GT. It should have an equipment tag with a model number, and we can tell from that. Post a pic and we can tell you very quickly what deck you have even if you don't have a model number.

As Dave says, it would be a shame to ditch the 1872. You are at the fork in the road most of us encountered, when we just had one tractor, then "something" happened.

Often the "something" is that your one machine needs major surgery. For many of us that was the fork where we bought a second tractor. Having a second allows time to do major surgery correctly while still having a machine to use. Of course, one danger of the multiple tractor disease is that you pull one apart and neglect to ever finish putting it back together (dag :roll: ) :lol:.

Multiple tractor disease has its benefits; I now keep a snow blade full time on one, loader on another, and swap a blower with mower on the third. Oh, yeah, btw, a second tractor sometimes leads to a third... :D

The 1863 would make a great second machine (or only machine, but hard to step back from a Super). Like the Supers, the standard GT accepted a variety of decks, most shared with the Supers, just not the Haban.

Although you can perform a successful engine swap in anything, the Kohler Magnums are fine engines and it is easiest just to rebuild yours or find another used Mag 18 in good shape. In our area we have several good Cub "parts yards" where you can get a decent used running Mag 18 for around $600, I'm guessing. Used is a pig in the poke, but would get you going again quicker. The full rebuild is a better job and is easier to do if you opt for a second machine while you rebuild the Mag.

Just some ideas. At any rate, Welcome, and let us know what you end up doing!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

cwcub

Post by cwcub »

the 1872 has 1280 hrs on the clock. I already rebuilt power steering, new drive line, replaced leaking relief valve on hydro and replaced a seal on the pump. The engine wasn't even bolted down when I got it hence the bad drive line. I've had guys tell me the rebuild on the m 18 would be expensive and difficult to get some parts if needed. besides all that there is a chirpy kind of whine that goes away momentarily when you turn the wheel, pump maybe? I've had the engine out once and the rear end out twice and I'm kinda tired of wrenching on it..All that said it is a pleasureful beast to use. I do have a 1450 quite line that I use for tilling but I'm afraid I would kill it mowing on the hills. I was hoping to roll a fresher tractor over the big deck but it sounds like it would have to be a SGT. Not many cubs around here in North central Washington so not much in the used engine department. Looked at some new stuff but that looks like expensive junk to me! Hope to make it through the season but I got my doubts. How far down does the engine have to go to re-ring it?

Thanks for the replies
cwcub 1450 1650 1872 782

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Yea...i understand tired. If u r not attached to the 1872 and r just done with it .....sure pass it down the road, someone will b able to fix it up to there liking. But....to find a mower with a 60" deck that doesn't need work, i see u spending a couple..few thousand bucks. Thats all well and good and believe me i understand....its just that most of us here like to tinker around on these older tractors. Like Tom said....when u have a spare.....it really takes the pressure off so working can b a little more enjoyable...and hunting for parts doesn't need to b overnight shipments.
For rings u will need to pull the cylinders off...the block can stay together..crank can stay in. I dont know for sure but like i said on mine the rings were pretty good...the valve clearances to tappets were out pretty good but the seals were the main oil problem i think. Kohler did redesign the breather from the old rubber ones...that could also b a source of oil up to the carb area. That could b fixed right on the tractor for about $40 bucks. Good luck!

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

welcome!
does the 1863 have a deck? if so i would grab that or something else to mow with a fix the 1872 sounds like you have a lot into in already so fixing it is the way to go!
yes, the only other tractor that would fix the deck you have is the other supers. if your looking for a mower only don't knock the 3000 series. newer then what you have now, everything is different but they are a garden tractor and when all your doing is grass they should be fine!

cwcub

Post by cwcub »

Dag, are you saying there is an upgrade for the crank case vent if so where do I get it? Don't get me wrong I love making older things run like they should but being broke down when you need it is frustrating. Maybe I can tear down the motor this winter and see what all it needs. 1200hrs probably constitutes a full rebuild/replacement. I just mow with it right now but I do have a blower for it. Thought I might pick up other attachments when available, however pulling the deck on and off is a bit of a chore. Maybe I'm not doing right? The 60" sure makes quick work of 1.5 acres

Thanks JMotuzick but the 1863 is gone already. I'll be watching for other Cubs but like I said they are far and few between around here. Trying not to go green
Thanks for the input, Great sight!
cwcub 1450 1650 1872 782

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

This is a great site! The original breather was a red rubber disk. The new one is like a reed valve. Any cub dealer should b able to supply u w this. eBay has them for like $22 free shipping. U will need a couple gaskets to do this job......and u will probably want a new green mesh thing. The mesh is like $8 for nothing.....but u need it :x . Make sure to keep track of the copper washer under the nut. I will post a pic of my new one tommow. I'm not trying to spend your money...so maybe u should open it up quick before u purchase new stuff. U could probably get it back together w some rtv until new parts r purchased.....if needed.
Last edited by dag1450 on Thu May 19, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh yeah.....that mower deck is not to b taken on and off for seasonal attachments. No way no how!
:o