Resealing Axle housing on transaxle

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
cubcadetfeva
First and Last Name: Evan Savar

Resealing Axle housing on transaxle

Post by cubcadetfeva »

I am in the process of putting an aluminum trans-axle back together. I had to remove the left axle housing (part that hold the disc brake caliper) to drill out a damaged bolt. I was wondering if I should seal the bolts that hold the housing on to the main so that the oil from the trans-axle does not leak out through the bolt holes? I noticed after I pulled the back cover off that the bolts holes go all the way through and I can see 1/4" of thread from some bolts. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Resealing Axle housing on transaxle

Post by dag1450 »

Yes use a sealent on those bolts. Anything is better than nothing. But permatex #2 or 3 stays flexible so it can b retorqued. I think Tom Scott mentioned this method.....he probably checks his once a week :lol: . It's like a dark brown tar. U could look into using thread locker also....but not sure. Post some pics. Thanks
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

cubcadetfeva

Post by cubcadetfeva »

Thanks for the info. I have attached a photo of the axle I am resealing. What happens when you want to add a Cat 0 hitch later? I guess you would have to drain the oil because the threads would then be full of oil and the Permatex #2 would not work?
Attachments
IMG_1707.JPG
IMG_1707.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 3589 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Yea if those holes go through.....u r talking the ones at the bottom? I don't have any three pt hitch and mine don't have bolts so...idk. but yes u would need to blot the hole dry...add more #2 or three to the hole and the threads and install. This is not under pressure so not crazy critical.
So.....what model u workin on??

cubcadetfeva

Post by cubcadetfeva »

I did not realize the very bottom screws do not go all the way through and I cracked the aluminum now I have to weld it. It sounds like I should add the hitch before the oil. This goes on a 782.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Ouch! That sucks!

cubcadetfeva

Post by cubcadetfeva »

I welded the hole up today. It turned out well. I will post a picture tomorrow after the paint dries. It looks like I should have used a 3/8" x 2 1/4" bolt instead of a 2 1/2" long bolt. Does anyone know which order the size of bolts go? The owners manual lists 3", 2 1/2" and 2 1/4" bolts for the axle tubes but not their locations. I am thinking 3" at the top, 2 1/2" in the middle, and 2 1/4" at the bottom? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks