This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
nddragoon1
First and Last Name: nathan dragoon

Post by nddragoon1 »

To anyone who can help.

I searched the site but for the 164 related posts associated with searching "2082", I can't seem to find the answer for the questions I have so sorry if this is repeat (first time user)

Background:
I purchased a 2082 a few months back with the intent on using it around the property. It came with the 54" mower deck, the 45" snow blower and the 17 cuft trailer. I picked that all up for $1700 (I thought this was a good price). Its been neglected but still runs well and everything functions. I've seen that you can do a lot with these tractors and I'd really like to get every attachment possible.

Question:
1. It appears like this model has the ability to add the rear PTO for a tiller or backhoe. What aftermarket PTO is available or original model that I can search for?
2. I've seen some discussion on the Ruegg 3 pt hitch being of good quality. Which model will fit this tractor?
3. It appears that he kwik way loader will work but when I check the kwik way site all they market is loaders for John Dears...which model will work for the 2082?
4. Was there a tiller for the 2082? If so, whats the model number and was there an aftermarket version.

Ive downloaded copies of the service manual, owners manual an for the Kohler M20S. Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Nate

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 2082

Post by Tom Scott »

Nate - Welcome to the forum, and Welcome to the Super club (Super Garden Tractor, SGT)! Wow, lots of enthusiasm and questions, you are going to have me type for a bit!
:beer: Ok, here goes...
Question:
1. It appears like this model has the ability to add the rear PTO for a tiller or backhoe. What aftermarket PTO is available or original model that I can search for?
2. I've seen some discussion on the Ruegg 3 pt hitch being of good quality. Which model will fit this tractor?
The rear pto option with the Cat 0 three point hitch was available to drive just two Cub pieces of optional equipment, the 349 rear mower and one of several available rear pto driven tillers, the 308 (42"), 442 (40") and perhaps one other model number that I can't find at the moment. At any rate, for a brief period in history the industry agreed that Category 0 tractors would use 2000 rpm as the standard. Deere, Ford, Cub, etc. all offered 2000 rpm rear Cat 0 attachments and any should be able to be used with the proper Cat 0 and rear pto options. That is all the good to know, now the bad...

The bad is that there is no aftermarket rear pto kits that I know of. The original rear pto kit was model number 433 which also needed to be used with the separate Cat 0 hitch option, model number 383. They were sold as separate options because you could buy and use a Cat 0 hitch for passive equipment (rear blade, rake, etc.) without needing a rear pto. Tractors were sometimes sold with the Cat 0 hitch but without the rear pto. Obviously, if you wanted to use a rear pto you also had to have the Cat 0 hitch. Now for the ugly...

You can look for the original Cat 0 hitch and rear pto options used from people parting tractors. They do turn up, but they are not cheap. Expect to pay big money for something used that is missing some parts and may have others worn that you will need to replace. Been there done that, I have both, and I paid dearly for them. Probably not the best decision I have ever made.

There are two available Cat 0 hitches available for the SGT. The more popular one is made by XtremeMotorwerks (http://www.xtrememotorworks.com/) and is really an adaptation of the Cat 0 that Cub made for the regular garden tractors (GT). The GT Cat 0 offered by Xtreme has been reported to be a great product, with the only disadvantage being that it cannot be used with the rear pto. That is the primary difference between the GT and SGT hitch, the SGT Cat 0 had provisions for the rear pto. The other choice is the Ruegg Manufacturing hitch you mentioned, which is intended to be a direct copy of the Cub SGT hitch and can be used with or without the rear pto. The Ruegg site has never listed the Cub hitch but from what I know he will make you one if you contact him. Link: http://www.rueggmfg.com/index.php

Ok, mostly answered first two questions, I will continue with more posts... :lol:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

nddragoon1

Post by nddragoon1 »

Wow...Great background info to start off with. Thanks a bunch and stretch those fingers. A little disheartend to hear about the rear PTO and price but I really bought the the SGT for the lawn and snow here in upstate NY. Im really looking forward to using the snow thrower this season. It ought to be a blast. I am missing one part which connects the the hydraulic pivot to the riser bar on the blower....its $100 bucks so Im going to try an fabricate it by myself...wish me luck.

Nate

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

3. It appears that he kwik way loader will work but when I check the kwik way site all they market is loaders for John Dears...which model will work for the 2082?
Kwik-Way made loaders and a backhoe attachment for the Supers, and at least the loader for the GT. (I also have a Kwik-Way loader :D ) I have to put a smiley there because it was a decision I do not regret. When I was looking for a loader (about 2010 I think), Kwik-Way still had them advertised for the Cubs on their website. I called, spoke with the owner, and he said "better buy one soon, were going to stop offering them". I was searching for another SGT to buy, then planned on immediately buying a new loader from Kwik-Way, but by chance found a sweet 2182 SGT with a clean Kwik-Way loader mounted as a package deal. I bought and was done. A good friend and member here (keiths) liked mine enough that he called Kwik-Way and bought what I believe to be possibly the last SGT loader they ever made. At the time it was about $3000 to buy new.

As nice as the loader is, you can definitely find yourself at the limits of these machines in a hurry. It is an attachment that needs enormous amounts of counter weight and sensible use. That being said, I am always impressed at its capability.
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

4. Was there a tiller for the 2082? If so, whats the model number and was there an aftermarket version.
Ok, I think I covered this one in the first post. There are a few equipment websites that still mention that they will make a tiller in Cat 0 and 2000 rpm, but you will be peeling off many thousands of dollars. Best off looking for any brand of Cat 0 2000 rpm tiller after you procure a rear pto kit and Cat 0 hitch. I would count on as much as a year or two to find and install all that you need to make this work. The rear pto kit will be the most difficult part. My last sense on price is to expect to pay over $1000 for a complete rear pto and Cat 0 hitch package. It might actually be easier to keep your eye out for another Super with them already installed. Then we can convince you that the multiple tractor plan is a real advantage! :lol: Or you could steal the Cat 0 and rear pto then resell the tractor.

The model numbers I mentioned are easily found by visiting an online parts site. I prefer http://www.partstree.com as a look-up, but usually buy parts from http://www.messicks.com as they are my local dealer, with good prices and low shipping costs. At the bottom of the partstree page for each model you will see the list of optional equipment and attachments.

Here is a short thread from when I tilled a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5157

And because, all threads need a pic:
2182-1 after a hard day of tilling
2182-1 after a hard day of tilling
2182-1 with tiller.JPG (3.4 MiB) Viewed 18681 times
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Nate - It sounds like you are missing the lift bracket (or lift arm). If you use the partstree.com site and use the part name/part number they show we can follow along easier.

XtremeMotorworks makes that as well in the snowblower parts section: http://www.xtrememotorworks.com/Parts%2 ... Blower.htm

The factory Cub bracket was cast and prone to breakage. The Xtreme bracket is cut from a solid piece of steel and is a much better choice. Unless you are an accomplished metal worker, and have a way to mill the mounting hole, this is probably not something you want to make yourself. The Xtreme bracket is still $100, but if you make one that fits poorly you will likely ruin the end of the tractor's rockshaft and cost yourself more in the long run. I would recommend buying the Xtreme bracket. I often fabricate, but this was one thing I choose to buy from XtremeMotorworks.

Check out the many threads we have on the Supers. It doesn't have to be a 2082, much of the information for the first generation Supers and later Cyclops Supers is the same.
:beer:
<><

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Tom covered most questions.... But cat0 tilers can be found with there own stand alone engine. Much cheeper way to go if that's your only read PTO attachment. Many brands made this type of unit. I belive the cub model was 400. It had a 8hp Briggs. I sold one via ray at red power round up a few years back I belive it brought around 500$. I did find my tiller out near Hudson my and paid around 250, I'd like to think I stole it!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Joe - Good catch, they kind of slipped my mind. The Cat 0 tillers with their own engine can be an easier route, unless you get a good lead on a rear pto set-up and tiller.
<><

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Welcome to the board Nate. Looks like you got your questions answered. There are a lot of folks on here that can answer just about any question about these tractors.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

nddragoon1

Post by nddragoon1 »

Well...I am stubborn and I just heard....challenge....off to fabricate the lift bracket!

keiths
First and Last Name: Keith Stroud

Post by keiths »

Here is a picture of the Kwik Way loader that Tom mentioned, it is on a 2086. It also has the three point hitch on it from xtremeMotorWorks.
Attachments
2086_kwikway.jpg
2086_kwikway.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 18636 times
105, 124, 149, 2086, 2182

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Nate - It can absolutely be done, you just want to make sure it is accurate to the shaft.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, here is a thread that has the dimensions so you can make it to spec: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6448&p=36728&hilit= ... ons#p36728

Let us know how it goes!
<><

nddragoon1

Post by nddragoon1 »

I manufactured the the lifter arm. I measured the drawing and scaled it up based on the shaft measurement on the tractor. It seems to fit well and everything has good clearance. I made it with 1/2" steel plate and did some weld build up where the bolts go through. Ill post a pic soon. Thanks again for the help and info.

Nate

nddragoon1

Post by nddragoon1 »

Next question:
I have a dirt/gravel driveway thats pretty long. Rather than paying someone twice a year to grate it is there an attachment that will work for grating the driveway?

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

York makes a nice tow behind rake, no 3 point required. I saw one recently on Craig's list for 800. If it where me I'd go for the 3 point and a cat0 rake. Many brands make them 5' is about right for what your super can pull. I have a 7' rake behind a older ford tractor and it makes short work of my long driveway.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Our member Jess started a nice write up on modifying a Brinly box blade to make it tougher and more usable for his stone drive. He convinced me enough that I found my own and made similar modifications, which I included in his thread. It was a fun project and really works well. Notice my avatar!

Link to Brinly box blade thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6402&start=30
<><

duke
First and Last Name: john carolan

Post by duke »

keiths wrote:Here is a picture of the Kwik Way loader that Tom mentioned, it is on a 2086. It also has the three point hitch on it from xtremeMotorWorks.
Very nice.i like the front tires too

nddragoon1

Post by nddragoon1 »

Alright...here is a silly question-
What "series" tractor is the 2082? Is it an 82 series? That seems like it would make sense.

Thanks

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Alright Nat....you asked for it. A 2082 is in the cyclops series.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

The "82" in the model name "2082" has nothing to do with "82 Series". Here is how the family grew up...

When IH owned Cub Cadet they introduced the 82 Series, i.e. 482, 582, 682, 782, 982

When IH sold to MTD it became "Cub Cadet Corporation" (CCC). CCC transitioned the 82 series to new model numbers that were the same tractors, although some physical build differences emerged (like change from cast iron rear to aluminum and standard options for each model).

Notably...
782 (GT) became:
1810 (manual lift)
1811 (hydro lift)
1812 (hydro lift, front hydro ports)

982 (SGT) became:
1872 (18 Mag, power steering standard, front hydro standard)
2072 (all same, but 20 Mag)

So, notable in the CCC number system is first two digits are HP, third digit is "Series", last digit is option of that series. Option could indicate "extras" or next engine in series.

So, 1872 is still kind of 82 series, but of CCC build. Really should be thought of as "7" series. Since they were only available with option level "2", often called "72 Series".

For Cyclops, the numbers continued in same way...
1872 became 1882 in Cyclops; 18 Mag, "8" series designates Cyclops, final 2 continues marketing name indicating two adders that would be options on lesser machines, power steering and hydro lift.

To compare, a standard GT Cyclops, an 1860... 18 Mag, "6" Series indicates standard GT (instead of Super) and the "0" indicates no extras (manual lift, manual steering)

2082: Mag 20, "8" is Cyclops Super, "2" is continuing of marketing to recognize two extra features, PS and hydro lift.

2084: Command 20, "8" is Cyclops Super, "4" was necessary to discern the model from a 2082, as it is a different 20 HP. Final designation could have been anything really, there wasn't a strict naming convention for the last number, it just had to be different to avoid confusion with previous Mag powered tractors.

2086: Water cooled Kawisaki engine, so last digit had to change to avoid model confusion. It seems Cub liked even numbers for Supers...
<><

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

And to toss another wrench in the works, there are also different sized front PTOs in the Cyclops family. One item to look for that is unfortunately a common issue is that the bolts to the rear axle tend to get loose. This can cause multiple issues. There are braces available as well as a lot of alternate methods of repairing this fault and keeping it from occurring.

nddragoon1

Post by nddragoon1 »

Wow...thanks for all the great info. Really give a good history. I feel like I have a clue now.

Thanks
Nate

nddragoon1

Post by nddragoon1 »

Wow...thanks for all the great info. Really give a good history. I feel like I have a clue now.

So as mentioned it has the Kohler 20HP. My PTO clutch just went tits up tonight. Bearings are fried and the magnet is completely delaminated....seems like time for a new one. Part number 717-3340 later replaced by 917-3340 which is in the $400 range. I see some aftermarket stuff in the $200s....any experience on the aftermarket stuff or, anyone know where to get the original cheaper than $400?

As always...thanks!

Thanks
Nate

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Nathan - I don't have any experience with those aftermarket ones, but I would be tempted to try. Cub doesn't make the pto either, they are sourcing them and putting a huge mark-up on them.

I would look around for some reviews, but I suspect they are probably ok. Hopefully someone doesn't come along and tell us they are junk! :roll: :lol:
<><

nddragoon1

Post by nddragoon1 »

I bought the after market...its been a year and it has been working fine.

New problem, the Charge pump check valves are both weeping hydro fluid through the top weep holes. Not sure the function of the check valve but for both of them to go at the same time seems odd. I'm wondering if I have some sort of overpressure condition? Thoughts?

Thanks

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Yeah don't know much about the check valves either.
What aftermarket PTO did you end up with and what was the price if you don't mind. In the back of my mind that is always a concern as I know they are crazy money.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

nddragoon1

Post by nddragoon1 »

So I finally bought a new and much bigger tractor. I think it is time to unload the 2082. Looking for a little guidance on what a reasonable asking $ is and where I should try and sell it.

Tractor:
It looks used but runs well. It still needs some work to be working 'good' (brakes primarily need to be adjusted).
Ive done the following to it (front to back):
-Installed and aftermarket front PTO. It works well and haven't had any issues with it.
-Rebuilt the engine with new piston rings, lapped the valve seats, replaced the valve springs and replaced all seals. Rebuilt and retorqued everything to manufacturers specs
-replaced the low pressure oil switch
-Rebuilt hydraulic check/relief valves ($70 each to rebuild)- they work fine and are no longer leaking oil
-Poured concrete wheel weights in the rear wheel wells (wont be easy to remove)
-installed a cat 0 three point hitch

Implements:
17 cuft dump trailer - one wheel deflates over time

Box blade - good for moving crushed stone and loose gravel, I used it to fluff up my gravel driveway.

551 Snowthrower- Runs well and throws snow a long way - has hydraulic lift kit.

54" mower deck (this was rebuilt with new spindles) New blades as of last year.

Not going to lie....I wouldn't feel right selling this to someone without mechanical ability. I have spent a lot of time on this thing.

With all the attachments I was thinking $2500....is this in the right ballpark?

BTW - you guys in the forum have significantly contributed to me being able to keep the tractor running - thank you!

Cheers - Nate

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

That's not a bad price for a Super with all the toys with it. The biggest issue with these machines is that people don't understand what they really are. They wee them and thing "Lawnmower" when they are useful for much more and are built far better than most of the junk on the market these days. If I had the money to spare (and didn't have a Wife) I'd tell you to load it up and drop it here!

Be sure to post in the for sale section here and include a few pictures. Supers are getting harder to find these days.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I have a 2082 I’m planing on selling soon, I’m thinking 1500 as a starting price, it has a 54” deck. If I included a 551 blower I’d want a bit more, your not far off. I’m guessing it has a 3pt? Mine does not.