3240 won't go in reverse?

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
mirage775
First and Last Name: Jason Maples

3240 won't go in reverse?

Post by mirage775 »

Oak told me that my problem may be the plastic washers, but I'm not sure that's the problem, so I thought I'd ask on this forum.

Before tearing down my mowers, one of the 3240's went in reverse, but super, super, super slow. The reverse pedal is hard, it doesn't move any of the linkages! Forward moved just fine! Forward linkages move fine, which is strange, as they're on the same linkage bar... Also, if I take something, like a cheater bar and push down on the Hydro Neutral Return Plate, it goes into reverse and the pedal moves, but if I press the pedal, it doesn't move a damn bit!!! I've studied the linkage under the floor boards, time after time and all of my theories on what could be wrong, haven't panned out... I'm going to order all the plastic bushings and see what's up with this thing.

dale campbell
First and Last Name: Dale Campbell

Re: 3240 won't go in reverse?

Post by dale campbell »

when you push the forward pedal the reverse pedal should rise up ,if it doesn't then something is definitely wrong, you should be able to lift up on the forward pedal while pushing the rev. pedal and normally it will go faster when the bushings are worn out. i've had a couple that even with new bushings were very slow in rev..i took the adjustable rod out and elongated the slots more so I could shorten the rod more and it fixed them.

mirage775

Post by mirage775 »

Yep, just checked, the reverse pedal comes up, when the forward pedal go down, but not vice versa???? I adjusted the linkage and have plenty of forward pedal, but ZERO reverse. I don't know WTF is wrong here?!?!

mirage775

Post by mirage775 »

I'm not sure if this will fix my problem, but I was in the garage for a while earlier and kept trying to figure out why everything was working, WITHOUT being hooked up to the pedal linkages and it finally hit me! The big hex head flange head thingys that go through the frame, that hold the Pedal Shaft Assembly, were trying to move in the frame. The pedal shaft assembly was rusted solid into the hex head thingys! It took me forever to remove them off the shaft! I ordered 2 new ones from parts tree and after I use some emery cloth on the shaft, it should rotate freely, after I get everything reinstalled? I'll reply back whenever I get the parts installed.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Sounds like you found the problem!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

mirage775

Post by mirage775 »

Tom Scott wrote:Sounds like you found the problem!
:beer:
Oh, I forgot to post back, LOL! Yep, that fixed it! I cleaned up my hex flange thingys and got the shaft assembly super smooth again and everything worked as it should. Put everything back in and it all worked! Need to adjust some linkages and then get the mower running again, (hopefully this weekend), and go from there.