Gas Fumes

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
GMUmberger
First and Last Name: Gary Umberger

Gas Fumes

Post by GMUmberger »

When I park my 2084 not all the time but more times than not I get really strong gas fumes. No puddles or obvious leaks around or under tractor. Any ideas where this could come from ?

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Gas Fumes

Post by dag1450 »

Uhh Gary..Tom's busy.....So my thoughts will have to do for now! :lol:
If it's a magnum 20 in there u may need your flashlight. Under the air cleaner look down in the hole to the bottom of the 90° bend. Wet or dry? If it's wet ...Your carb needle and seat need some work. Next would b to look around the fuel pump...Very very hard to see around it but maybe ​your nose would do better for that one. Not sure where your tank is on that machine....But check the tank gromit? Follow your nose...lol
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Gary - dag's suggestions are good, buy if not a carb overflow problem I am betting it is weeping at the fuel level warning lamp sending unit area. This was a known trouble spot and Cub later issued a service bulletin to use Permatex #2 when installing the sending unit. Since the Cyclops tanks are under the fender and lower than the carb, it is unlikely to have gas fumes from a leaky needle and seat as there isn't any gas trying to flow downhill like in the previous generation Cubs.

The Cyclops tank under the fender is depressed in the center and rises to a right and left wing area, all one continuous open tank. This means that when the tank is any more than half full, the center portion with the sending unit is completely submerged. I have had them weep just slowly enough that you get the smell that you describe but never drip on the floor.

The fix is to remove the fender pan, pull the gas level sender out, apply Permatex #2 and put it all back together. (Search on my "Cinderella" thread if you need to see how that back area is put together, I think I have some pics that show the tank.)
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Wow...Who knew those had a real gas gauge. :shock:
See....If it's more complicated than a 2x4 .....well..We won't go there.... :roll:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.