1862 with 46 deck lifting issues

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

1862 with 46 deck lifting issues

Post by Dave C »

Ok this 1862 is killing me! it came with a 321 46 inch deck that had NO lift at all... so i determined that deck was for a later 1862 after 821xxx. OK fine so i traded joe for a 336 46 inch deck and undercarriage. Yea this all looks better. get it installed and i get a tiny bit of lift.... so i move the lift links to the rear holes for yucks.... ok so now the back of the deck comes up but not the front. even with the deck completely lifted i have 2.75 inches cut height. im losing my mind can anyone help. and the 2 front eyes are adjusted as tight as they can be for max lift
Attachments
20170531_170116.jpg
20170531_170116.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 5068 times
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Dave C
Web Developer

Re: 1862 with 46 deck lifting issues

Post by Dave C »

ok with the deck almost all the way up i have 2 inches cut height in the front and 3 inches cut height in the rear.... the manual says should be 1/8 inch lower i think in the front? not an inch!!!

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Some pics of your setup may help, You say you have the manual, still having trouble?

I see them now.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave - This is just a set-up issue. Easy to understand what's wrong just by checking a few things.

First off, for the future, the only material difference between the early (336) and late (321) 46GT deck is the input pulley size. The 336 should have the small center input pulley (about 4-1/2") in diameter. The later deck for after the serial number change has a larger input pulley (around 6") to match the later large pto. Check your pto diameter because you want it to match the deck input pulley, otherwise the blades speed will be way too fast or way too slow, depending on the mismatch.

The decks are interchangeable just by swapping input pulleys to match the pto size. Good to know, because as time has gone on, pulleys and pto's get swapped. You can't trust model and serial numbers to get things right.

Ok, next post will address hanging frame problem...
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Ok, you didn't post many pics, but I suspect the problem here is twofold...

1) Mounting, front: The front hanger assembly (mule drive) has four possible mounting positions for the lift frame (rear hanging frame). In the picture below, three of the options are identified. The bottom rear most hole (Position B) is further back and lower for the SGT to accommodate the longer length and increased height of the SGT. Position A is the normal forward hole that is higher for the regular GT; this is the hole you should be using. Position E is at the same height for a regular GT, but intended for use if additional adjustment range is needed with the belt. I would recommend having the correct belt and avoiding Position E.
46GT deck hanger positions.jpg
46GT deck hanger positions.jpg (40.89 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
The fourth possible front mounting hole was added for the later GT with the high axle. This new front hanger had the GT hole in the same forward position as Position A, but lower to adjust for the new increased height of the GT (after Serial number 821,059).

Mounting, rear: The rear adjustable links should be in Position C for a regular GT, as it appears you have them in your pic. Position D is for SGT.

I am betting that you have the hanging frame mounted in Position B up front, based on the angle of the rear lift links. They appear to not be hanging straight, which would be caused by using the SGT front hanger Position B on a GT.

2) The second problem is likely that this assembly is from an SGT. The GT and SGT used different hardware kits. The GT used kit 333 and the SGT used kit 332.

The difference in the kits is the belt and the rear lift links. Since your hanging frame appears to have originally been set up in the SGT position, you likely have the lift links from the SGT kit. You must have the correct GT lift links (and two ferrules, the SGT link on the left side was not adjustable and didn't use a ferrule). The SGT links are longer as they had to make up for the increased height of the tractor. You will never be able to pick the deck up to the proper height with the wrong lift links.

Here is the 333 parts page, proper GT lift links are still available: http://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cade ... r-adapter/ I generally buy from Messicks.com (better prices, flat rate shipping too), but their page links don't play nice here...

If you need another ferrule, that is part # 911-3021. As per the manual, the offset link is installed on the left side.

The hanging frame positions are from the 46GT manual in our Manuals section: downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=271

And finally, note in the manual that the GT directions are discussed as "a)", then the SGT as directions "b)"; they don't always call that out at every step.
<><

l palma

Post by l palma »

Gee Tom, that is a mouth full of info, with Daves one picture it was hard to see if he had the holes up front in the right position.
I have the same deck on a 1541 and it lifts about 3 inches.
That is one manual I do not have, parts lookup help a lot showing the correct lift links he needs.

Hey Dave, lets us know how you made out.

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

ok,

yea i have looked at the manual and found some of the same things... the frame is connected at holes "E" and i suspect the belt is stretched cause i am almost out of adjustment even being mounted in those holes... also the lift links are mounted in holes "C" just as the manual lists. originally when i got the setup it was in holes "D" and it wouldnt lift at all. so i moved them back to holes "C" then i was able to get some lift but mostly the back came up and not the front. So it also appears i have the one fixed link and the one adjustable link so i must have the lift links for a "SUPER"?

OK so fine i get the shorter links... but it would seem to me even with shorter links the deck will still be tipped forward.

I have asked Joe if he has another 46 subframe so i can compare... but i dont know what else could be wrong.

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

Ok so i got mad enough and took the deck off to get a closer look at things.... and i think i found the issue... the "scissor" arm im gonna call it has been broke and welded.... i think at the wrong angle... also the subframe itself is bent in the back.
Attachments
20170602_132230.jpg
20170602_132230.jpg (4.23 MiB) Viewed 5047 times

l palma

Post by l palma »

I would just get the other frame from Joe and call it even Steven...unless that one is messed up also.
Grass is growing...

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave - I think you have found the issues. Re-welded at wrong angle will absolutely make a big difference. And yes, if you have one fixed link, then you do have the SGT links.

Even with a good straight hanger assembly, you have to have the regular GT links. Once you get them you will see just how much shorter they are, it will make a big difference. Also, with the correct belt you can go back to the correct hole for Position A.

Since the 46GT is a bagging deck, it is much deeper and doesn't have as much lift as other decks just because it is so deep. You need everything right to get all the lift.

As an aside, I found that the engineering compromise for this bagging deck is that it windrows bad if side discharging. To create the velocity for the bagging tube, it needs to concentrate the grass stream the way it does, that is why the outlet is so much narrower than the dedicated side discharge decks. I also found that this deck mulches leaves real good if the outlet is blocked with the appropriate brownie pan secured with a bungee cord... :lol:
<><