1641, what is this lever?

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Ianb
First and Last Name: Ian Buckwell

1641, what is this lever?

Post by Ianb »

I am about to buy a 1641 and have been watching youtube videos, can someone tell me what the lever on the left rear of the transmission tunnel is? Is it the hydro disconnect, is this the same as a hydro relief valve? this was on a 1541 is the 1641 the same? Sorry these are all new to me.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 1641, what is this lever?

Post by Tom Scott »

Ok, just to get you in on the "lingo" both of these tractors are what we pseudo-affectionately know as "Cyclops" series tractors due to the single headlight lens. This series came after the "82 Series".

The Cyclops GT (standard garden tractors) came with either the older traditional Sundstrand 15 Series transmission or the newer (lighter duty) Hydro-Gear BDU-21L transmission, depending on the model and date of production.

The 15 Series had automatic relief valves and therefore no external dump lever. After the engine is turned off and the pump is no longer turning, the pressure bleeds off automatically.

The Hydro-Gear transmission has the external dump valve that protrudes through the left rear of the tunnel cover. This lever is pulled up and locked before attempting to move the tractor. If the tractor has this lever you know you have the HG BDU-21L transmission.

Although the Hydro-Gear tranny is lighter duty, it is still very strong and a true GT level transmission. This is the same tranny that was used in the next generation of GT to follow, the 3000 Series Cub Cadets.

As you read through our site, you will see reference to "Super Garden Tractors" (SGT) that were produced during both the 82 Series and Cyclops run. They are about 6" longer than a GT, taller tires, and a lower geared 15 Series tranny. All SGT only used a 15 Series tranny until the end of production.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Ianb

Post by Ianb »

Thanks, much appreciated for the great explanation. Just out of curiosity are the 782 tractors and the 1681 based on the same frame? Or do they just look similar (to my eyes at least)?

Just looked at photos as haven't got I yet, it appears to have the knob, I also see that on the back panel above the tow hitch is a pin/lever surrounded by a blue circle, would you mind telling me what that is for? As the tractor has the latter less heavy duty transmission will it still have the hydraulic deck lift, I read the 1 in the model number denotes this but just want to check. Thankyou

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Yes, 1641 is hydro lift. I think the frames are the same, if there might be a few minor differences. The knob on the back is for the deck height stop thingy. I have not messed with them much, some of the other guys might have more insite as to how well they work.

Ianb

Post by Ianb »

That's great thanks, the one I am getting doesn't have a deck but supposedly all the mechanism is retained, thought the hydraulic lift may be useful for something like a hitch or similar.

Ianb

Post by Ianb »

I didn't want to clutter the forum with another thread, but I am getting a 1641 tomorrow and have read of bolts pulling out on the rear transmission/drive, from what I can find I believe these to be the bolts that fix the axle tubes to the center diff casing, is this correct? If anyone has a link or picture to clarify it for me so I know where to check, thanks

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Yes, axle carriers (axle "tubes") on right and left side of the differential case. In particular, the top two that also go through the frame. These are all 3/8" bolts (9/16" hex head).

It is a bit of a design problem for these machinces, so part of the maintenance of these tractors is making sure they are all torqued to 30 ft-lbs, and it is a good idea to check them on a yearly basis. If this were an SGT, the forward mounts for the adapter housing can be suspect as well, but aren't usually a problem on regular GT machines.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><