2182 Rear PTO and 3 PT Info Needed

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

2182 Rear PTO and 3 PT Info Needed

Post by mpfeiffer »

I recently acquired a nice 2182 Super from the original owner. Tractor is exceptionally nice as the original owner only had a100x100 suburban lot to maintain. This tractor will be a keeper for me so I am in the process of adding a cat 0 3pt hitch, as well as rear PTO. I currently own several 3pt/ rear PTO tractors, which are all 82 series. In all my years in this hobby I have never owned or seen personally a cyclops with these options up close, only pictures online or in Cub Cadet brochures. The few cyclops supers I have owned have been just basic tractors with no options, as most were.

I am looking for some pictures of the setup of the following components.

1. Location of the rear PTO directional switch dash location. I don't see any knock outs on the dash, and perhaps this switch had different locations or the cyclops tractor production run?

2. A close up picture to the location of the lift down stop adjustment rod in the rear cover plate. I am going to have to drill this hole in the rear plate myself. I have a picture of this setup in a Cub brochure but the pic is very small.

3. This tractor is outfitted currently with a 46gt deck and also triple rear bagger. I am likely to swap to a bigger deck, but does anyone know if the rear bagger was able to be mounted to a Cat O equipped tractor from the factory? I can see that it would still work the a standard GT style 3 PT, but the configuration of the Super style 3pt being different....

Thanks in advance for help on this!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 2182 Rear PTO and 3 PT Info Needed

Post by Tom Scott »

Matt - Great to hear from you and nice that you found a great 2182!

The Cat-0 and rear pto installation for the Cyclops and 82 Series is the same (as far as I can tell), except for the directional switch location. Section 7 of the Cyclops manual shows the installation, including the switch location, as well as a paper template at the end (very last page of manual) which is used to locate the switch. Cyclops manual is in the "Documents and Manuals" section, top header above. Here is a link: downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=14

Here is "the rub" with using the factory directional switch on a Cyclops; the threaded body of the switch was specified by Cub to be long enough to just penetrate the steel of the 82 Series lower dash. To save money they kept the same switch part number, but to install through both the layers of steel and plastic for the Cyclops dash, the switch threaded body (barrel) isn't long enough to get the nut on... So... The Cub directions tell you to spot face the dash in that location to make it thinner, which I did, and it works fine, but was just a poor solution by Cub. They should of had the switch manufactured with a longer threaded barrel.

Here is a thread I started long ago on that switch hunt/buy/install: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1460 If I was doing again, I can't think of a better way than the Ryobi forstner bits. Just be sure to use the forstner for spot facing before drilling the center for the switch barrel. If you do not want to spot face or do not have the factory directional switch, I would just source a generic SPDT (single pole, double throw) switch that has a long enough body to penetrate the dash properly in that same location. If sourcing a generic switch, don't worry about terminal locations, just take the factor harness end off and use insulated spade terminals. It's only three wires, not a big deal to keep them straight.

I will try to post more later, with pictures too. I can also speak to the deck and bagger some later.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Not in the shop right now but I have a 1882 out back all loaded up. I'll get some pictures in the next day or so. Unless Tom beats me!

As for the Bagger I have one of those here too! It will NOT work the rear hanger is different. Unless there is a bracket or something I'm not aware of you will need to discharge until you get the deck/Bagger on another tractor.

mpfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Tom-

Thanks for posting the link to the service manual! I would not have guessed that switch to be in that location, but that location makes the most sense. I have the factory switch but will ponder a day or two on my options with that.

After reading your past tread on the switch, one thing that is interesting is on both of my IH built 982's the rear PTO switch is the same switch as the front PTO switch. Each operates its respective clutch, and you can have both clutches engaged at the same time. I would have to investigate the cyclops wiring to see if that switch would work and function the same as the 982. That switch has a longer barrel so it can go through both the metal dash tower and the plastic 82 series dash. More than likely I will retain the "correct" directional switch setup, but its food for thought at least.

My take on the bagger is that it could be done, but custom brackets would need to be made.

Joe-

Would love to see pics of your tractor too!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Matt - I'll have to check, but I thought my 82 Series manual showed the directional switch too. Perhaps some early installs used a regular pto switch, or perhaps that was a dealer method for your area. Below are the pics of my install. Mine is installed on my first 2182 that I had before I bought 2182-2 from you.

The directional switch placement does make sense, a mirror to the PTO switch on the other side:
PTO & Directional Switch.JPG
PTO & Directional Switch.JPG (621.65 KiB) Viewed 8588 times
Below is a close up that shows the recess (spot facing) created by the forstner bit. Easy to do, just spot face before you drill the hole for the barrel or you won't have a way to center the forstner bit. You also need to eye up the drill as square as possible so the thickness reduction stays even all the way around.
Directional Switch close-up.JPG
Directional Switch close-up.JPG (734.67 KiB) Viewed 8588 times
And...If you read the other thread, as far as I can tell, that directional switch was the last NOS directional switch ever sold! The supplier didn't want to sell it because it was a "Cub only" part. I convinced them that Cub wouldn't ever be calling for the last one on earth because it was listed as NLA by Cub, so they gave in and sold it to me! Lol

Ok, deck and bagger discussion next...
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Ok, 46 GT deck and bagger... I think I know what Joe is thinking. Here is the top bracket used by the Cat 0:
Top link bracket.JPG
Top link bracket.JPG (672.69 KiB) Viewed 8588 times
It is too small for the bagger attachement. Here is the bagger attachment bracket on my 1872:
Bagger top bracket.JPG
Bagger top bracket.JPG (514.14 KiB) Viewed 8588 times
I think all you have to do is cut the welded on Cat 0 top link bracket ears off and bolt the bagger attaching bracket on. XtremeMotorworks.com has been building their replacement Cat 0 this way for as long as I can remember.

The next issue is, would the vertical tube for the bagger interfere with the pto shield? I don't think so. I looked at the bagger hanging in my shed, and the vertical tubing is behind the locating pin for the drawbar hitch. Although I didn't snap a pic of the bagger, here is a pic that shows that the pto shield does not protrude behind the drawbar pin hole, so I think it will not interfere.
Pin hitch drawbar to PTO shield relationship.JPG
Pin hitch drawbar to PTO shield relationship.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 8588 times
The real proof would to be to dummy up the bagger to the installed Cat 0, but I am pretty confident it will work.

I had a lot of time using the 46 GT deck before moving to other decks. It is a great bagging deck, but I don't believe in bagging grass. I used it to bag leaves until I decided it made more sense to mulch them in.

The design features that make this a great bagging deck, make it a terrible side discharge deck. They sold it with a discharge chute, but it concentrates the grass in a stream so it has enough force to travel up the bagger tube. This makes it windrow terrible when side discharging.

Although not sold as a mulching deck, I found it mulched leaves great with the bagging blades and a brownie pan covering the discharge!

Anyway, I much prefer the 50C and 54 GT decks. I particularly like the 54 GT deck, great side discharge without windrowing, and mulches great with the Cub mulching plug.

Matt, let us know how you do with all this. Give us some updates and pics!
:beer:
<><

mpfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Tom -

Thanks for the info on all this! I will definitely keep you posted on how it works out. It will be a handful of days at least for completion of this project as I have been working on this as time permits.

I see in the pictures that the rear cover plate on your tractor has the hole in place as provision for the down stop rod. That 2182 must be an early one with the cam on the side of the frame for the stop same as 82 series I'd assume? Locating that hole should not be to hard for me to do, as if it was off slightly it would not really effect action of the rod.

I agree with you on your thoughts on the 46 gt deck. It was the perfect deck for the original owner on his small lot, but does not throw the grass well for sure. I plan to swap it out to something else, 54 gt, or 325 Haban.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Matt.....the 325 Haban deck is big and beefy. I have what I might term a second generation on my 18 and 2072s. I just wanted to point out that mine cut...and they can cut at pretty good speed...but the discharge is not that great. While it can throw the grass ten feet....it will leave plenty still laying in it's path.
As for the generations....this is how I see it. First gen was on the 982 with front skids. Second was on the 18/2072 with front wheels. Third was yellow and found on cyclops... had a little different front wheel brackets. Not sure if any internal changes where made for proformance. Maybe someone else knows?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh Matt...I just noticed there's no pics of this "super" nice machine! This thread is getting boring with only pictures of Tom's log skidders.... :lol:

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Some shots of the 1882
Attachments
IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3592.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 8550 times
IMG_3593.JPG
IMG_3593.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 8550 times
IMG_3594.JPG
IMG_3594.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 8550 times

mpfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Not to worry, I will be putting some pictures up as soon as I get a chance to work on it again :beer:

I have had both the 4 wheel white 374 ad Yellow 325 Haban decks in the past, and logged many hours on both units (this was in the mid 90s). Performance on both I remember to be the same, but the yellow 325 deck is quieter floating over the ground due to the different design of the wheels. The white 374 deck is built a little more stout though.

mpfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Looks like I finally wrapped it up! I had to fab up an extension for the down stop rod. The rear PTO cover plate protrudes out farther out the back of the tractor than the standard hitch plate, thus the original rod was about 3 inches two short. Some measuring, threaded rod and a coupling and we are back together. Here are the pics as promised!
Attachments
IMG_2231.JPG
IMG_2231.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 8536 times
IMG_2229.JPG
IMG_2229.JPG (720.37 KiB) Viewed 8536 times

Marlin
First and Last Name: Marlin Homrighausen

Post by Marlin »

I like it. It looks very nice. :beer:

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Yeah....looks great!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Matt - That might be the best looking Cyclops I've ever seen! Nice to see one with uber shiny paint!

Our Jess Laws generally has the correct NOS tail lights to make that thing perfect and he is very reasonable on prices. Shoot Jess an email or PM, he will hook you up:

Username: Jlaws
Link to profile: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=54
<><

mpfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Tom - I will contact Jess and see if he has more lenses. I would like to fix that one up on left. I think its messed up from fueling the tractor over the years.