1215 not charging the battery?

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
mic
First and Last Name: Michae M. McCartney

1215 not charging the battery?

Post by mic »

have an old 1215 cub cadet and battery not being charged! checked voltage on battery with tractor not running reads 12.4 volts, with tractor running volt meter reads 12.4 volts . what should I check next? I know this is a stupid ? but don't want to just throw parts at it! any help would be great! thanks :|

dale campbell
First and Last Name: Dale Campbell

Re: 1215 not charging the battery?

Post by dale campbell »

check voltage on the 2 wires coming from the stator at the voltage regulator should be about 28 - 34 volts ac if you don't have that you need a new stator ..if you have good voltage there then check on the third wire on the regulator should have about 13-14 volts dc there ..also make sure you're getting voltage to the regulator from the ignition switch

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Hi Dale, good to see you!

Michae - Also, check all connections for corrosion. Get some dielectric grease and coat any connection you take apart before reassembling. Dielectric grease the battery cable ends after cleaning as well, and coat the exterior when done. Check all the grounds to the frame, coat them with the grease as well. The grease doesn't need to be thick, even a thin layer keeps the gremlins away.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

mic

Post by mic »

Dale,Tom, thanks for your help! I will check out the items you posted next weekend and post what I find! firm believer in dielectric grease!
Thanks agin!

mic

Post by mic »

dale, up date on 1215, no voltage coming from stator! looks like I need a new one! again thanks for your help! :beer: