782 fuel pump

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

782 fuel pump

Post by OhioBinder »

It appears that the fuel pump on my 782 died. Every now and then for the last 3 or 4 mowing the engine would act up starved for fuel. Some choke would clear it up and after a bit you could shove the choke in and it would run great. Well this last time it didn't recover and died. Sit a few and it would fire and run just long enough to give you hope and die. Got something else out and finished mowing. After it cooled off I was able to barely get it back to the barn before it quite. Is it better to replace the original or go with an electric or something else?
David Gregg
NW oIHo

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: 782 fuel pump

Post by ksanders »

In my opinion they last a really long time and aren't complicated. I'd just replace it back to original. Are you sure it's the fuel pump though? Also might be worth taking the fuel pump apart and making sure those two "valves" in there are tight. I've had them pop loose and give me fits before
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

This happened to my 2072 couple yrs ago. Fill the tank up full...with a full tank u should have an hour of trouble free running till the fuel gets lower in the tank. Kevin is right about the little things in the fuel pump....but I feel if it's old...and I'm taking it off....it's only getting a new one installed. The prices have come down to under $50. New ones have different hose connection fittings...but not too hard to figure out. Good luck.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

For cheap you can replace with a pulse pump.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6894
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find