Need PTO parts for my recent 2284 purchase

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
millwright1529
First and Last Name: Bobby Irvine

Need PTO parts for my recent 2284 purchase

Post by millwright1529 »

I just purchased a Cub Cadet Super 2284 and someone in the past had removed part of the PTO parts, the Magnet is still there as is the tensioner pulley at the bottom but all else is gone, does anyone out there have the parts for sale or know a good place to get them?

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Need PTO parts for my recent 2284 purchase

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome Bobby! We will need to see some proof of purchase before u become an official member.....like some pictures of the new tractor would b enough. Check out the vendor section in the classified area down below. Ray's or Patton's are used salvage yards and might help. Keep us posted on how u make out. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

millwright1529

Post by millwright1529 »

Here is a picture of my recent purchase of a 2284 , hope it comes through.
Attachments
Image_5731.jpg
Image_5731.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 5428 times
Image_5837.jpg
Image_5837.jpg (4.05 MiB) Viewed 5428 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

NICE! That's one mean "cattle gaurd". Tom Scott might want one like that......he is always hitting stuff with the front of his plastic tractors..... now he is an expert in plastic welding :beer:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

millwright1529

Post by millwright1529 »

I actually built it for my 1873, when I bought the 2284 I transferred it over . I set it up so I could bolt a front blade, I have on it. It also helps protect my mule drive.
Attachments
Image_5657.jpg
Image_5657.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 5416 times

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Bobby - It sounds like you are only referring to the rear PTO being missing.

The PTO parts and assembly are NLA from Cub. As dag says, start contacting the Cub salvage yard vendors (Ray Weaver and Rich Patton are two in our vendor section), but...

You are missing much more than just the rear PTO pieces. There were only two types of attachments that Cub ever made for the rear PTO (several tillers and a rear finish mower). Other brands of Cat 0, 2000 rpm attachments would work as well, but they are just as rare as the Cub stuff. I got it up my crawl that I had to have it all, and I paid dearly. I put together the entire rear PTO and Cat 0 hitch assembly and found a Cub 442 Cat 0 tiller. I've used the tiller once, and that was at a friends house... :roll:

I would strongly consider whether you would ever really obtain and use any 2000 rpm attachments. If not, I would sell the little bit that remains on your tractor to someone else intent on having all that. (All I see left is the rear cover plate and the bottom bracket mounts. Someone out there would pay you for both of those items.) You could use that money towards an Xtreme Motorworks Cat 0 hitch. The Xtreme is a brand new reproduction of the regular GT hitch but built for the SGT. This gives you a proper Cat 0 hitch, but without a rear PTO.

I have found that the Cat 0 hitch is very useful, and would not want to be without it. The rear 2000 rpm PTO, not so much.

Here is a link to the Cub 383 hitch pieces. NLA in general, but the following link shows what you would have to gather to be able to use the rear PTO. Can't make use of a PTO without a hitch... Link: http://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cade ... int-hitch/

Once you have a hitch, then you would need all the PTO bits you are missing, Cub 433, rear PTO kit: http://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cade ... r-pto-kit/

Cub sold the rear PTO kit separate so that you could have a rear Cat 0 hitch without the added expense of the rear PTO.

Here is a link to the Xtreme Motorworks Cat 0 kits: http://www.xtrememotorworks.com/Parts%2 ... Cadet.html They are very popular and I have only ever heard good things about them.

If you do go for the Xtreme hitch, you will also need a stock type rear cover plate to replace the one that you remove. They are a dime a dozen. Good time for a fresh fluid and filter change.

Keep us posted. The Cat 0 (and sleeve hitches on other Cubs) open up a whole new world of things you can do. My avatar shows a sleeve hitch connected to my Cat 0 with and Xtreme A frame adapter. (Yes! You can easily use any sleeve hitch attachment as well with the Cat 0!) I have also modified my tow behind aerator to be used with the hitch, as well as an electric spreader.

And for the record... I have never busted any of my plastic! dag is just a crap disturber from way back!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

millwright1529

Post by millwright1529 »

I have already ordered the needed 3 point parts through extreme, as far as breaking plastic, my 1873 had perfect plastic when I got it but being I mow 3 acres with rough ground and a lot of trees It no longer has perfect plastic therefore I built the front guard that I transferred to the 2284. I am going to try to find the PTO parts, Patton did not have, as I Love building attachments as a hobby and I would love to find a rear tiller as I want to get a big garden put in next summer, the 2284 only has 600 hours on it and if you knew what I gave for it at a estate sale you would cry.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

1873? Must be a 1882? Keep looking you will find it all it just might take a couple years!

millwright1529

Post by millwright1529 »

Actually it is a 1863, I don't know why I thought 1873, I bought it 6 years ago , 54" deck and 44" snow blower, I gave 175.00 for it and have worked the heck out of it. I developed a bad hydraulic leak on it a month ago and have not taken time to find and fix it. Since a lot of the parts on it are the same as the 2284 I have thought about using it as a parts tractor since it has 3500 hours on it and a lot of play in the steering gear box. But you never know I might just get the energy to tear it down and rebuild it.

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

From the looks of it in your picture, you need half of the rear PTO clutch, driven hub assembly, belts, tension sing and the rear cover plate. Parts can be found, but will take some time and will be pricey. You may be better off finding a rear pto complete and using the parts you need and save the rest for spares.