Cyclops Magnum engine R&R

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Cyclops Magnum engine R&R

Post by Tom Scott »

I'm helping my friend who bought my 1861/1541 years ago. It now has the dreaded "sticky starter Bendix" woes...

I haven't looked at the manual myself yet, but he is telling me the manual calls for removing the battery tray and heat baffle for engine removal (Mag 18). I'm thinking it may not be necessary, but I'm not there with the machine.

So, let me know if you are aware of the need to pull the battery tray assembly, or if it really is easier to just remove it even if not necessary. Removing these items does involve disconnecting a few more things, so not sure if it is worth the work or should be done.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: Cyclops Magnum engine R&R

Post by JMotuzick »

The plastic all needs to go. 6 bots hold the engine base to the frame unbolt these not the engine from the base. The throttle and choke cables come off engine side only. From the right side you should be able to reach in with a Allen socket and pull out the 4 bolts for the drive shaft. I would not pull the battery or try dash etc. not worth it. That’s a ton of work! The only electrical is one 3 pin plug on top and the one but for the starter battery connection. Hope this helps!

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ohhh the PTO wire too, but realy if all your going after is the starter, you just need to pick the engine up about 2 inches.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Fire wall stays too!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Very good. I've advised him of all that you mentioned, but wasn't sure about the battery tray and heat shield (firewall). I am trying to get him to do as much on his own before I show up and help yank it out onto the bench...

On the drive shaft, I'm wondering if it can just slip out of the CV joint without unbolting. I remember unbolting in the past, but the IPL doesn't show any retaining clips on the spline shaft. It's been a few years since I've pulled one, and I can't remember a reason you can't just pull the driveshaft out of the CV joint once the engine is unbolted.

**On edit, I know there can be clip on the splined shaft in the rear joint...
<><

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

I have not reassembled a Cyclops only pull them apart! I have slid them off I’m guessing they could just slide back on.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Ouch!! Man, Cyclops deserve to live too!

I'll let you know. I really think it can just be slid back together as well, but if not, nothing lost. At least then bolt removal is not hindered, just reassembly.
<><

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

It’s all about the plastics! If they are good I’ll fix/resell. If it’s got a bad engine I’d save what I can for another... right now I have a 1882, I started to do the leaves with it yesterday but the 3point leaf blower lost the recoil before I could start...

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

So what's the plan once u get the starter off? ....I would have a new one sitting on the bench. Yes....u might get away with clean and lube.....but hey....it's old and u don't need something else failing in a year or two.
As for the splined shaft. I don't own any cyclops.....but this summer did a Kubota mower deck. I just slide it apart.....half hour to get it back together. What a job. Mower was pretty heavy and hard to get thing oriented on my back and upside down. But....I hear that alot :lol:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Ok, another tractor saved from death. I'm sure so many machines have something stupid go wrong, like this sticky starter, and never run again. My buddy's neighbor walked by and said "Oh, you should just go buy another one." Most people these days don't even consider minor repairs, much less pulling an engine. Just throw the whole machine away and replace with a POS...

Driveshaft was easy, just slides out of front joint and right back in on reassembly.

The starter seemed fine, just a super sticky bendix. Cleaned up the bendix real good, found a NOS Kohler bendix kit (spring, dust cap, etc.) used CRC dry graphite spray, then spinkled some extra powdered graphite on for good measure.
Magnum reinstall.JPG
Magnum reinstall.JPG (684.51 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
My buddy even sprang for a brand new grill with the later style sealed beam headlamps! We took our time and rewired the lights neatly with all new wire loom. Found the ignition switch was very corroded, replaced that. Took all electrical connectors apart and cleaned, used dielectric grease on reassembly.
Completed engine install, new grill.jpg
Completed engine install, new grill.jpg (699.28 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
It starts with authority now, sounds like new. Machine is returned to service. Very satisfying little project.
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Idk...I kinda agree with the walking neighbor guy....just get another one.... Like an 1811. Oh better yet...1812 has front ports.... yeah! See, the 11 and 12 have the nicer higher gas tank....and the long battery cables from under the seat :)
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.