Plastic grill housings

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
kbrothers
First and Last Name: Ken Brothers

Plastic grill housings

Post by kbrothers »

On this 2082 the plastic ears where it bolts to the frame is really broken up Any known fixes short of replacing whole thing?Thanks for any help Ken in Pa

mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Re: Plastic grill housings

Post by mikeyb »

Ken,

I was wondering the same thing. I have one the same way.
Has anyone ever tried the plastic welding?

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I just bought a new one over the summer; the one upside of buying new is that the replacement part (759-3773, $133) for all the Cyclops has been upgraded and includes the complete sealed beam kit instead of the bare bulbs. (Well mostly complete; includes everything except for the outer clear lens that hides the sealed beams.)

If I were repairing I would try JB Weld epoxy. Maybe lay a piece of fiberglass into the epoxy bridging the break on top and bottom and smear more JB Weld on top.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

You could also splice it with a piece of sheetmetal. Put sheetmetal on both sides of the break and attach it with pop rivets or screws. I don't think any kind
of glue or epoxy will stick to it very well.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Todd - I know many plastics don't work with many glues, and I haven't tried the JB Weld on these, but the hood hinge plastic posts on my 1861 were repaired by a PO with some grey looks-like-epoxy that looks like it might have been JB Weld. I suggested it based on this as the repair has held up fine for the 9 years I have owned the tractor. I would be concerned that pop-rivets will point load the plastic at all the rivet locations. I would be inclined to try the epoxy and fiberglass first; if that fails, then your idea is the only other way I can think of besides the plastic welding (of which I have limited knowledge).

Looks like we need a pioneer in this repair area; I used the excuse of the upgraded headlamps to help justify new. I kind of have the attitude that I am in so deep with these things that I am usually able to talk myself into the gold-plated solution. I am not saying that these are necessarily good decisions, it is just where I usually end up... I guess it is just my own version of the Cub sickness. ;)
<><

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

I have seen some really bad and good fixes for a poor design the one I like most is replace :lol: but if its a worker I would use the jbweld seems to do ok I also have seen the many rivets which after while it cracks all around the break

kbrothers
First and Last Name: Ken Brothers

Post by kbrothers »

Thanks for all the input Am gonna try Farmall's suggestion first and see what happens Will try and get pictures and post them when my grandson is around Ken in Pa

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

The Cyclops factory plastic is an ABS item. The same glue used to join plastic pipe will work on it. I have glued some small bits of mine back together with it. Currently I am thinking of stripping down my 1641, cleaning it real good and painting it black/red. I have seen one painted that way and it looked REALLY nice.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Steve - That is good to know; I wasn't sure what type of plastic it was. So...I would put it back together with ABS glue, then use JB Weld to smear over the break then push the fiberglass fibers into the JB Weld to bridge the break.

But, more importantly, you have too much time on your hands! I like my Cyclops machines, but it is a love-hate thing. When I was painting my 1872, I had more appreciation for my Cyclops machines that wouldn't need all that front end paint work. (Instead they need replacement panels!) The only good thing about the plastic is that it won't rust or need paint...So you want to paint something that will never need paint!

I do know this; if you do it, you will make it look good. ;)
<><

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Tom, Yep that will work.

The Cyclops I saw that was painted up looked great. It made the tractor look a lot more like a real working machine. The yellow/white is OK but it gets dull after a while. Plus "someone" forgot to cover this one a year or so ago when there was painting going on in the next bay... Almost did the same thing a couple days ago...
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."