451 - 551 initial thoughts on using both.

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

451 - 551 initial thoughts on using both.

Post by SWilliams »

So I finally got to try out the 551 on the 1863. Last year the same tractor wore a 451.
The 551 is MUCH lighter overall than the 451, It steers almost as good as it does with the mower deck.
The 451 follows terrain while the 551 doesn't. This is due to the mounting differences on the lower lift section, the 451 uses a 4 link style mount while the 551 uses a solid linked lower arm that doesn't twist. This is good on flat level areas, doesn't work well if you are cleaning off any banked areas or rough spots as the corners dig in instead of float.
The 551 has a plastic panel that directs the snow into the chute and the chute mounts on. Not sure on this yet and it seems like a COLD day and a rock will not be friendly to that piece. Time will tell.
The 551 driveline is much cheaper build wise than the 451. The idlers are thinner steel and bend easily and the main drive pulley is thinner as well. The tensioner works, but it seems like a weak point in the way it locks. Mine is wearing a zip tie as insurance.

As far as parts go. The spirals and front gearbox are the same for both (and the 450 as well) The drift cutters on the 551 will fit the other two but not the other way around as the holes are different on the 551 shell but the cutters are drilled for both.
The chutes will interchange but the 551 is much taller. Same plastic clamps on all 3 for the chute. Cables and adjuster for them are the same, and can be retrofitted back to the 450 as well if desired, the chute tip is the same for all.

Throwing impressions - the taller housing is nice as the snow doesn't fall over the back and onto the belt. Throwing distance is about the same, will see if "good" snow makes a difference as the current batch is mostly ice.

Lastly, I have not got the cab on yet, my thought on this is simple, no cab = MAJOR MISTAKE.....
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 451 - 551 initial thoughts on using both.

Post by Tom Scott »

Steve - Good post, thanks for the comparisons,

My major complaint with the 450/451 is the spirals getting packed in snow that is wet enough to make snowballs. And by packed, I mean packed, the spirals will become solid cylinders of ice if you don't jump off soon enough and clean them out. For comparison, I had an Ariens 28" walk behind that wouldn't pack the spirals in any conditions at any pace. There is something about the Cub design, probably a combination of the spiral flight angle and speed that contributes to this.

I bought a 551 hoping it would be better. Of course I tore it all apart to paint several years ago and just haven't picked the project back up. Since the rpm and spiral design isn't any different, my only hope is that with the taller housing that the forward force of the tractor won't trap the snow and pack it so tightly in the spirals.

This problem is what also caused me to try the 450 with the large pto and overspeed it. I am not recommending it to anyone else, but I think it has helped some. The downside is that I am stressing the blower's drivetrain more doing this. I snapped one belt so far doing this as well.

Let us know when you get into the "spiral packing" levels of snow, typically the 12" deep stuff that is wetter than you wish it was.
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Tom
I lived up his way about 20 years ago for school and as I recall most of those storms are a bit drier then they are here closer to the ocean. Not saying they don’t get snow, that lake effect stuff would come out of no where and dump 6-8”. But then my memory could be fading....

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

JMotuzick wrote:Tom
I lived up his way about 20 years ago for school and as I recall most of those storms are a bit drier then they are here closer to the ocean. Not saying they don’t get snow, that lake effect stuff would come out of no where and dump 6-8”. But then my memory could be fading....
Lake effect can dump 5'-8'! Ask Erie Pa. and Oswego & Lewis County,NY.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Yes I know I Western NY but in the eastern ny where I was and where Steve lives, just the fringes would make it. 4-6” was about the max I remember.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

In my area a "normal" storm will dump around 4-6 inches. If you get into it before the sun or salt get a lot of water in it you are usually OK. We have had 12-24" storms a few times. Those can be a pain, but I've blown snow twice the height of the blower without much problem. The packing issue is a bad problem in the "right" snow. I think what keeps mine going in that is spraying the flighting with graphite paint AND storing the blower in the cold. Let the housing start to warm up and it starts to get sticky.

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Silicone lube works for me.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Silicone works but the graphite paint tends to last a bit longer.
Currently the 551 is down as I work on the belt drive. Started throwing the belt off. The idlers were pretty beat up when I got it, guess I need to do a bit more work on them as they still bounce pretty good when in use. Also need to replace the chute as it's almost worn through and is cracked. Think it was used on a lot of gravel. Am also making a steel replacement for the stupid plastic chute adapter on it.
Once I get it dialed in it should be a decent unit. Might alter the drive pulley to get the speed up a bit. the 451 will throw better I think. But we didn't gt a lot of snow to play with so far.