2084 On the Mend

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Binder_Finder
First and Last Name: Tom Cahill

2084 On the Mend

Post by Binder_Finder »

Hey All-

I've been busy with RR work, but have been wrenching on the 2084 every chance I get. The motor work is done, the blown gasket side of the Command was just about as blown as you can get, I'll post a pic of the head gasket in a later follow up. It was open to atmosphere just below the exhaust port and explained the hissing and failure to fire unless WOT. I did both heads while it was apart, the Kohler head kit had everything that was needed to do the job. This COmmand has the head bolts rather than the studs, but the kit contained hardward for either application. I found both heads to be grossly out of flat right around the exhaust ports, so I found the most level spot on the garage floor and work them back into specs with a couple sheets of sandpaper (sorry Matt G, no glass plate available this time). I got the one side just about perect and the other head down to .004, but it's still gotta be way ahead of where they were. I also did the front main crank seal while the motor was out. It looked like it could have been throwing some oil from there, and I decided to go after it since the rest of the motor seemed to come apart ok as far as corrosion and broken bolts go. The PTO pulley came off smoothly with a gear puller and lots of PB Blaster. A lot simpler than the older mechanical PTO's on the IH's! I also used the 'two self tapping screws in the old seal' trick to pull the crank seal - very easy! I can't wait to drop it back in and hear it run.
Cub 2084 engine small.jpg
I've spent a lot of time trying to chip away at the rust and corrosion that I wrote about in the other post. I was pleased when I pulled the fenders found how clean and tight the rear 1/2 of the tractor looks. It cleaned up very well after a power washing, and the hydro fluid checked out to be full and clean. The filter is dated from 2005, so I guess it could have been much worse. A new one is standing by and will be in order after everything is back together. Note the assembly ok'd date from Feb 16 1994.
Cub 2084 101-9 small.jpg
Cub 2084 101-9 small.jpg (78.69 KiB) Viewed 2357 times

I'll also put up more pics of the patch-up paint job on the frame and fenders/battery tray/foot rests. I used the 759-3588 'powered yellow' that is supposed to be a match for these cyclops tractors, but it's not even close. I had to get the painting done this weekend, so it will have to do for now. I just couldn't put it back together like it was, and I'm no painter or body man, so I'll just have to be happy with the results. I keep telling myself that it's no worse than when I got the tractor in the beginning.
Cub 2084 017 small.jpg
Cub 2084 101-14 small.jpg
Cub 101-2 small.jpg
I also picked up a really nice seat from Ray Weaver, who helped me out immensely this month by taking some excess inventory off my hands. You know I'll be back, Ray! I think I am gonna need that front nose piece after all...

Looking to have it all back together by the end of the month. There are a few electrical gremlins to tackle, it looks kike the PO just went overboard trying to disable all of the safety switches. There are a lot of wire nuts where there used to be switches, but all of the wiring is there, and the tractor DID charge the battery and opreate the PTO when I had it running, so it's just a matter of going over everything once it's back together. It's been fun, but I can;t wait till it's running again.

Now if I can just find a reasonably priced 551 blower...
If the price is right...

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 2084 On the Mend

Post by Tom Scott »

Looks good! The paint may not match because of the weathering of the old paint. I just bought some Valspar "Cub Yellow" from TSC; I liked how their Cub/IH beige painted better than the Cub stuff, and it is much cheaper. I will have to see how their yellow matches the Cyclops era color.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

The Valspar CC yellow is the cyclops orange-ish tint. The PO of my 1872 used it on the fenders, and it's really easy to tell the difference between the two colors.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Matt - Thanks for confirming the Valspar/TSC paint color. I figured it would be the newer stuff that it would match. Fortunately that is what I need it for right now, Cyclops stuff. Unfortunately, I don't think TSC has the older yellow that will match my 1872.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><