582 Special Cub Cadet

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
jdudding
First and Last Name: Joey Dudding

582 Special Cub Cadet

Post by jdudding »

I am looking at 582 Special Cub Cadet and was wondering if anyone has ever changed one over to a real gear drive? I can not find any more IH built 582 Cub Cadets in my area so I thought I would just make another one but I don't know if its ever been done and how much differences there is in the two. Thanks in advance Joey.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: 582 Special Cub Cadet

Post by JMotuzick »

Never done it, but I would think if you pulled the rear and the entire driveline from the engine back out installed a rear from say a 1200 with dry brakes used brake linkage from a 1210/1810 etc and a new clutch to fit a 582 it should work! Bring the tunnel cover over from any wide frame gear dive 108/128/1200/1000 and you should be pretty close!

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

Thank you for the reply I am getting ready to tear into it and we will see how its going to work out. I will have a disc brake rear end out of a 128 cub that I may use and I have a complete drive line out of a 1806 cub that I am going to use and I am going to just make a drive shaft. I think this 582 cub special is just in to good of shape to let go but I can't use it on my yard I need the gear drive and I like the twin cylinder to. Thank You, Joey.

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

I got the cast iron rear end built ready for the 582 Special I put fine spline axels in it I had a rear end out of a 1806 Cub Cadet and I wanted the bigger brakes also. My buddy give me a 128 cub cadet and I am going to get the brake rod out of it and the arm for the brake pedal shaft that works the clutch rod and brake rod. I think it will come together here in the next couple of weeks I have to work on it when I get time here and there. Joey.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Sounds great! Couple pictures would help us understand what you're doing.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

I got my 582 Special Cub Cadet together and I put a new carburetor on it and it started and ran pretty good and I got on it today and was going to mow some with it and it started and run for a couple of minutes and stopped. I checked the fire and its getting fire. I took the air cleaner off of it and turned it over and I have more gas blowing out of the carburetor than going down in to the intake so I pulled a spark plug and no sign of gas on the plug any more ideas what might be going on with it? Thanks, Joey.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I'm not familiar with the Briggs. Is the carb on top of the engine or on the side? But fuel out of the carb... sounds like valve problem? Or carb needle and seat causing a flooding problem? How about your crankcase breather...check that out?

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

Thank you for the reply the carb is on the top of the engine and I will check the breathers out tomorrow.

jdudding

Post by jdudding »

I looked at the 582 Special Cub Cadet some more and I removed both spark plugs and the right side sitting on tractor was hit by the valve it looked like. I rolled the engine over and that side valve is moving about half way across the spark plug hole. The other side don't even make it to the threads of the spark plug hole. When I installed the carburetor I adjusted the governor it was way out I wonder if it might have run over the rpms it should have. Thanks ,Joey.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh man :cry:
When you said gas blowing out the carb....yep....valves we're my first thought. Probably lost a keeper. Idk

mrbrown
First and Last Name: Mike Brown

Post by mrbrown »

I think i said this before. The Briggs in mine, you could see that the valve spring retainers had eaten themselves into the aluminum block. The breathers were crumbled junk and the front seal had slipped inward. It ran good except for the oil it pushed into the carb. It might have ran a good while with new breathers and a seal. I put a mag 18 in mine. Mike