m12/k301

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
byknow
First and Last Name: Alfred Tambling

m12/k301

Post by byknow »

Just starting to on this engine,pulled the head and it's aluminum....the block i guess you call it is cast.Is this factory or something else?

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: m12/k301

Post by ksanders »

It's factory. All the heads were aluminum and blocks cast iron on the Kohlers except the twins maybe? I think I have some literature somewhere that says blocks went to aluminum with cast sleeves somewhere in the 80's on the series after the x82s in 1986. That info is all from memory but a cast iron block with aluminum head is correct that you have.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

byknow
First and Last Name: Alfred Tambling

Post by byknow »

Thanks for getting back,pulled the head and it was just coal black with carbon,any tips on where to get the full rebuild kit??

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Carbon wasn't uncommon. I think there's even a service interval on taking the head off and cleaning. Rebuild kits for a K301 are found about anywhere from cheap kits on ebay, Stens has decent aftermarket kits, or if you plan to use it a lot I recommend spending the extra money and getting OEM Kohler parts. You should be able to get gaskets, valves, rings and piston, connecting rod, governor gear... however far you want to take it.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!