Cyclops convesion to 82 series

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Kyocum
First and Last Name: Kelly Yocum

Cyclops convesion to 82 series

Post by Kyocum »

Has anyone ever converted a plastic cyclops style tractor to an 82 series. I think I have all the parts needed just do not know if I have to change out the tilt steering column or reuse it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have patched and repaired the plastic panels till there is no repair left in them. Thanks Kelly
I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it.
Jonathan Winters

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: Cyclops convesion to 82 series

Post by Jlaws »

Kelly , I started to do the very same thing with a 1535 cyclops that I bought . The PO had an oil fire and the complete doghouse was destroyed but the dash was OK. I gathered all the 82 parts needed (hood ,side panels , and grill ) but soon found out that the hood and side panel wouldn't mate with the tilt steering console on the 1535 . Its about an inch taller than a 82 dash console . You can probably trim off the instrument light cluster on the top of the dash or change the console to a non tilt steering 82 style . I lost my enthusiam and located a good used cyclops doghouse reasonable . I'm sure it could be done , but will take some imagination and fabrication.
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

Post by MattS »

I converted a 2182 to 82 series sheet metal. It is quite a bit of work. You basically have to replace everything from the frame up with 82 series parts, side panels, hood, grill, dash tower, hydro lever, control valve and hydro lines. You will still have to deal with modifying the steering column and wiring harness too.
Attachments
B2v348QBGkKGrHqUOKnE6ommGUSBMjsBQtgmQ_12.JPG

Kyocum
First and Last Name: Kelly Yocum

Post by Kyocum »

Thanks for the input guys. I have all the different components to do this conversion. I will tackle this job in the spring as my 1641 is my snow blower tractor. Although we have no snow at the moment, if I get this tore apart now we would end up with a ft and a half of lake affect. Typical central NY
I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it.
Jonathan Winters

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Kelly - Brand new cyclops side panels are still available for about $160 each. The nose (grill) and hood are still available too if you need them. Ray Weaver and others can probably supply decent used for quite a bit less money.

I am just giving another point of view... You could sell your 82 series panels to offset some of the cost, and save yourself a bunch of work. I am not being critical, just suggesting another option that would avoid lots of work.

I have had my 1861 for nine years now and the original panels are still in pretty good shape, just like when I got it. The plastic holds up ok if you remove and install carefully, and don't hit anything.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><