2084 hydro leak

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
woodworker4421
First and Last Name: troy cromley

2084 hydro leak

Post by woodworker4421 »

hello i have a cub cadet 2084 that was leaking hydro fluid.i just replaced the gasket between the pump and transmission still leaking .it appears to be leaking about half way around that gasket.what is the best way too stop it from leaking ? i just put the gasket no sealant . that is what the dealer told me

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 2084 hydro leak

Post by Tom Scott »

Troy - Yeah, I view this area as a bit of a "fail" by Cub. They persist in selling the "peel and stick" gasket and they continue to punch the three holes that aren't needed that just make the gasket more vulnerable to leaking.

I position the gasket so that the three holes through it are up, not down, as they don't do anything but compromise the gasket. The holes were put there to facilitate drain-back, but later decided the fluid could just drain through the bearing right there and help lubricate it. I make sure the side you are using the sticky on is surgically clean using alcohol, then I use a thin coating of #2 Permatex on the plain side, filling in the unnecessary holes of the gasket. I would put the self stick side towards whichever has the flattest and smoothest machined surface. (I think I normally stick it to the hydro unit, not the adapter section.) Make sure you use a torque wrench and torque to the proper specified torque.

Good luck. Sucks to have to disassemble and do it again, but that's how it goes sometimes. I feel your pain!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

woodworker4421
First and Last Name: troy cromley

Re: 2084 hydro leak

Post by woodworker4421 »

upon farther looking the seal above the gasket is leaking so i will replace that seal and try again