451 surprise and possible warning to others.

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

451 surprise and possible warning to others.

Post by SWilliams »

So I decided to strip one of my old 451 blowers down for parts as it is seriously rusty and I now have a few blowers on hand. Found out a couple of things that might be something to check if you are running a 450 or 451 blower on a Cyclops tractor. Cub cadet issued a bulletin about how some of the garden tractors with these mounted had a problem with the blower going all the way to the ground because the lift arms would bind on the blower housing. The fix was to stack two washers between the lower bracket and the blower housing. (see attached) When I was taking mine apart I noticed that the bolts in question were very slightly loose. Not enough to cause a lot of motion but enough to notice. When I removed them and could see the actual blower housing, not only were the holes worn a bit over-sized but both were cracked through between the hole and both the edge of the housing and partly back to the main blower shell as well. The other item I found was that the seal on the lower bearing on the drive gearbox had failed. You can't see that seal very well without removing the gearbox or the impeller. It doesn't appear to have hurt anything but the area between the impeller and shell had a nice coating of grease!
SBCC-268.PDF
(45.67 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 451 surprise and possible warning to others.

Post by Tom Scott »

Steve, good catch, thanks for sharing.

I'm going to end up moving this to the sticky that has 450/451 notes. Good info. Thanks!

Just curious, where are you finding the service bulletins? We used to have them on the old site, but I think they got lost.
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: 451 surprise and possible warning to others.

Post by SWilliams »

I have a few of the service bulletins stored on my computer here. I don't recall where I found them but it was online but not the old group. May have been MTD before they altered their site.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."