What doofus thought a plastic belt cover was a good idea?

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

What doofus thought a plastic belt cover was a good idea?

Post by SWilliams »

So many of you know the 450 and 451 came with that dumb plastic belt "cover" on it. Thing is that every one I have seen has either a slot burned through it or it's shredded to the point it's useless. Then they realized that the cover was getting heated by the engine heat and exhaust so they made the exhaust deflector to help with that. Guess they never actually used one and discovered that snow builds up on the upper housing and pushes the cover down onto the belt!

On the 551 they finally got the message a bit, it comes with a steel belt "guard" on it, BUT that part is not really a guard, it is actually required to be on there, unless you like the belt jumping off the pulley every time the thrower gets a good bite of snow and flexes the belt.

So what did I do today, corrected part of the problem and made a nice 10 gauge steel belt cover for my worker 451. At the moment it is waiting for me to form up a rear section with a rounded edge so it looks like the OEM part, but I'll bet I could stand on it and not push it onto the belt...
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: What doofus thought a plastic belt cover was a good idea?

Post by dag1450 »

Lol. Probably an engineer! We all know how they like to cut corners and skimp on things. Pics when you get it done steve.
This was my attempt at trying to drag tom out of hiding... :roll:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.