Cyclops front hydraulics

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Cyclops front hydraulics

Post by JMotuzick »

I’m working on my 1882, it has around 1200 hours and is losing power, and has begun to be a rear bear to start. I’m in the middle of pulling the engine for a starter cleaning new hard gaskets and a general cleaning/service. I believe this is the first time the engine has been out in 30 years.

I’m looking at the valves and know they can be stacked, I have vavles from a couple parted out tractors 1641 1864 etc. I’m not sure, but the only “custom” part would be a line off the back of valve? Anyone know if the lift lines are long enough to reach the front of the frame? Any other items I’m missing?

Steve Williams where are you hiding!?

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: Cyclops front hydraulics

Post by SWilliams »

There is the short nipple that goes between the valves, I made one using the end off an old line and dressed up the opposite end to match the factory fitting. The factory lift lines are too short to reach the front, but you can use the upper sections to make new lines if you have a hydraulics shop around, they can crimp on new lines to reach the front ports. For the ports you may want to do like I did and use a common one like a Pioneer or ones that fit plows. Easier and cheaper than the CC parts. If you really want fun you can actually stack 3 valves on them. I'm doing that on one of the supers, it will let me add a second lift cylinder to handle the rear 3 point. I also added T's to the front port lines and have a set of ports on the rear.
One thing I have been thinking about trying is to take the valve block and tap the ports on the sides to take an O-ring sealed fitting and see if that would be easier than dealing with the factory parts.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Steve
Thanks for the quick reply!
After I posted I pulled some lines off the shelf and noted the same as you, to short! What did you do for the line that goes from the “bottom” of the valve to the power steering? Where you able to “tweek” this line? If not what did you do? I’m not even sure I’m doing this, just thinking out loud!

Also now with the engine out both head gaskets seam good. It’s always felt under powered to me, at least compared to my 1872. Plus now it’s gotten to the point that I need to dump raw fuel down into the carb about 5 times to get it to stay running. Once I clean everything back up and reinstall, I’m thinking fuel pump? I might go electric as I have a 1864 that’s here for a flip that a dealer added this and it startes easy every time.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I had a complete kit on the shelf and used the line from it. I did that on a 1641 and didn't use that line. I'll look and see if I have the power version still off, I plan on using it on the other super but I could measure it up if that would help. Also have a couple other pieces, I'd need to look at the book though because I've got 3 different tractors torn down at the moment.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."