M18 freshen up

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
cwcub
First and Last Name: Corey Wilder

M18 freshen up

Post by cwcub »

The 1872 has been sitting for two years while standing on one foot and the other trying to figure out what to do with it🤔
I looked at repower kits but couldn’t pull the trigger for the $ they cost. Looked for donar engines no luck. Considered sending it in for rebuild even advertised it for sale but couldn’t part with it that cheap so with nothing to lose I pulled the jugs off expecting a worn out engine with 1200hrs on it. It looked pretty decent rods are tight end play is good so I took it to a local old school Machine shop honed and measured in spec for original bore! So ordered up pistons/rings, had him do a complete valve job plained the heads. Machine work was only $120
Meanwhile I pinned the gov shaft replaced the ignition. Removed/ plated fuel pump and replaced with facet elc pump. I set the engine in last weekend. A couple more hours and I should be up and running again if I haven’t screwed anything up! Said and done around $500 can’t wait to get back on the super with the haban deck
cwcub 1450 1650 1872 782

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: M18 freshen up

Post by dag1450 »

Nice. Yeah I found almost the same on my 2072 with maybe 1600 hrs. Bottom end was tight but I ended up doing mostly everything. Still haven't installed yet a few years later. Get us some pics when you get a chance. Thanks for the update!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.