Added another cub! But not like the others!

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Cyclops1862
First and Last Name: Jay Fetters

Added another cub! But not like the others!

Post by Cyclops1862 »

I've been looking at this wood chipper at my dealer since November. I didn't really have a use for it, till now! I live in an old growth white pine forest, and this week we had an ice storm on Tuesday, followed by 5 inches of snow, with 20mph winds. So yesterday I made the hour and a half trek to my dealer and bought this chipper to clean up the 48 million branches that fell all over my property. Do any of you guys have one of these, or used it? How'd you like it? I'm hoping it's just the ticket I need, due to the 3 inch capacity, anything bigger can be cut for camp fires, or if it's hardwood, thrown into the fireplace.
Attachments
20220325_163056.jpg
20220325_163056.jpg (4.72 MiB) Viewed 1683 times

Cyclops1862

Re: Added another cub! But not like the others!

Post by Cyclops1862 »

Turns out, it's pretty awesome!
20220328_180211.jpg
20220328_180211.jpg (7.82 MiB) Viewed 1643 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Yes..I know about white pines! My parents have a stand of them 100 feet long, and man are they brittle. I was just over last week cutting up some of the winter casualties. Chipper looks great and I would consider one if it was a few years ago, but their years..or months are numbered there. It will be interesting to see how the sap affects your chipper inter workings. I can't even go back and look at those trees without having sap on me somewhere.
Keep the updates coming on this unit!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Clank
First and Last Name: Mike Schmit

Post by Clank »

Congratulations! That is sweet!
I'm looking for a shredder for my 123.
Not that I really need it, but making coleslaw will be WAY faster! ;)

Cyclops1862

Post by Cyclops1862 »

dag1450 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:36 pm
Yes..I know about white pines! My parents have a stand of them 100 feet long, and man are they brittle. I was just over last week cutting up some of the winter casualties. Chipper looks great and I would consider one if it was a few years ago, but their years..or months are numbered there. It will be interesting to see how the sap affects your chipper inter workings. I can't even go back and look at those trees without having sap on me somewhere.
Keep the updates coming on this unit!
I asked my dealer last night about sap build up, what he said to do is kinda odd, and you'll never find it in a manual. But he said to fire up the chipper, pour a little simple green or purple power down the chute, wait a few moments then, run some dry hardwood through it, like dead maple branches or the like. He knows me personally, and reminded me that it's not a table saw blade and doesn't need to be completely free of pine pitch, just free enough to keep chewing through it! I have filled the mulch bag it came with six times now with pine mulch, and the blades are still pretty free of pitch build up! But it's just a matter of time...