FYI: Todd Markle's Cub Cadet Diesel Modifications

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
rgausman
First and Last Name: Bob Gausman

FYI: Todd Markle's Cub Cadet Diesel Modifications

Post by rgausman »

FYI,

For the diesel cubs, I posted two of Todd Markle's modifications which I had archived from poor old IH Registry website to this website 'How To' section. The following is the links...

Todd Markle's 'Diesel Glow Plug Upgrade'
http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/forum ... f=23&t=787

Todd Markle's 'Cub Cadet Diesel Starter Upgrade'
http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/forum ... f=23&t=788

Bob G.
Anything diesel: Cubs, Onan generators, etc
782D #1 w/ 55C mower, 782D #2, IH #2B Tiller, QA-42 SnowThrower + John Deere 435, Farmall BN, Koering 1350 Skid, Bobcat x320

wdeturck

Re: FYI: Tom Markle's Cub Cadet Diesel Modifications

Post by wdeturck »

Thanks. I saw that and that is whee those should be.. Every little bit helps.

rwonder
First and Last Name: Roger Wonder

Re: FYI: Todd Markle's Cub Cadet Diesel Modifications

Post by rwonder »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the glow plugs for the modification are the same on the 15 hp engine . I have a 1572.

Thanks

rgausman
First and Last Name: Bob Gausman

Post by rgausman »

rwonder,
Can anyone tell me if the glow plugs for the modification are the same on the 15 hp engine . I have a 1572.
Probably. I measured a voltage drop of 7.8 volts at the starter solenoid while trying to crank. I had 30A for the glow plugs plus 10 Amps for the starter solenoid pull-in winding going through the ignition switch. After the GP relay modification only pulling 10A through the igition switch. I bought an igition relay from Tractor Supply and used the two cooling fan hub bracket bolts to attach the relay. Also used 10AWG primary wire with insulated crimp connectors. It costed less than $20 and took about 15 minutes to do.

I would check the 1572 electrical schematic to see if all the glow plug current travels through the ignition switch or if there is already a glow plug relay installed.

Does any one know what the original starter draw was during cranking? I did not measure this before installing the new gear reduction starter. The new starter is only pulling 180-190 amps while cranking. I measured this a Fluke meter with a clamp amp meter.

Take care...

Bob G.
Anything diesel: Cubs, Onan generators, etc
782D #1 w/ 55C mower, 782D #2, IH #2B Tiller, QA-42 SnowThrower + John Deere 435, Farmall BN, Koering 1350 Skid, Bobcat x320

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Roger,
I did it on an 882 which is the same D-600 15hp engine as your 1572. These mods should work on all the diesels, but I'm not familiar enough with the 1782 to say for sure about it. The 782D, 882, 1512, 1572, and 1772 should all be the same.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

I didn't realize how easy that mod is I'll have to try that when I get the chance.
Adrian

rwonder
First and Last Name: Roger Wonder

Post by rwonder »

Thanks to Todd Markle for the original mod. Thanks to Bob for pulling this from the old IH Registry plus your reply, also Todd for your reply.
I also looked at how simple this mod is and am going to give it a try also. I thought I had a bad glow plug, but after testing all of them, they were ok. If I can create a little more heat in the cyl head, it is worth a try.
Thanks again

Rog

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

I went to start the diesel today and didn't have it plugged in and it just barely started after two trys. I need to run power to the cub shed this week. I nearly ran the battery dead so I'll definitely have to do this mod. It'll be pretty cheap for me since I already have the updated glow plugs from napa.
Adrian