RZTS PTO Clutch won’t budge

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
jon441111
First and Last Name: Jonathan Hebert

RZTS PTO Clutch won’t budge

Post by jon441111 »

Hello all,

I have a Cub Cadet RZT-S and I’m trying to replace the PTO Clutch. I used an impact wrench to get the main bolt off no problem. All of the clutch came off pretty easily except for the very top piece where the electrical plug in. I have tried just about everything to get it off. I soaked it with WD40, tried pulling, using a pry bar, tightening and backing out the main bolt, tapping it with a hammer and nothing. It just won’t break free. I’ve watched a bunch of videos and the only thing I haven’t tried is an air hammer. Also, I saw some people have used a rod slipped through a hole above to hammer it from above but I can’t find an opening to be able to get to it.

Is there something else holding it on there? Any suggestions. I’ve spent two days trying to get it to come loose.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
Jon

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: RZTS PTO Clutch won’t budge

Post by Tom Scott »

Jon - Welcome.  This site has most of us into the older/vintage garden tractors, not much traffic on here for zero turns.  I'm just mentioning this as you'll see a lack of responses as we just don't have familiarity for your machine.  That said, some general advice...
  1. The best case scenario is to have the factory Cub Cadet workshop manuals on hand.  We have them available for the Garden Tractors here in our "Documents and Manuals" section for the Garden Tractors, but I doubt we have them for your RZTS.  There might be other sources they've been uploaded to on the web.
  2. Take a look at the exploded parts diagram for your machine, PartsTree.com is an excellent source.  The parts diagrams are generally the same or similar to what the workshop manual would have for diagrams.
  3. WD-40 is not a penetrating oil and is nearly worthless for something that is corroded/stuck.  I'm a huge fan of Kroil.  Readily available on Amazon.  Stupid expensive but worth every penny.
Good luck!  Stop back and let us know how you did. 
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

jon441111
First and Last Name: Jonathan Hebert

Re: RZTS PTO Clutch won’t budge

Post by jon441111 »

Thank you for the reply - I appreciate it. I was finally able to get the clutch off using a modified pulley puller.