Cub Cadet 2284 wont stay running and running out of options.

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
ISHMAN2284
First and Last Name: Ethan Ishman

Cub Cadet 2284 wont stay running and running out of options.

Post by ISHMAN2284 »

Hello, I’m running out of roads on my CC2284 other then a new motor. It will run maybe 2 mins maybe 45 min then it will almost act like its not getting fuel. Pull the choke and it keeps running for awhile but will eventually quit all together. Might be able to repeat that 2 times to maybe 15, then you’ll have to let it cool down. This has been going on for over a year now so it is really hard to remember the only thing left that we and or other ppl could think of that was something obvious we missed was a vapor locking gas tank that is gonna be checked shortly. its had a rebuild that now has great compression. eliminated that selenoid below the carb cuz it now has a fuel pump on a toggle. carb has been replaced/gone over multiple times now. starting to wonder if it is not something electrical or with the ignition or timing or something. has new coil and what not. the list goes on. Im sorry if this is not the best info in return. I couldn’t figure it out now my Small engine guy cannot either. Any help would be much appreciated. All the obvious options as well as some major factors have been done and or eliminated. Anything helps at this point haha.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: Cub Cadet 2284 wont stay running and running out of options.

Post by Tom Scott »

Hi Ethan, and welcome to the forum!

Guessing will make you crazy, better to do some real troubleshooting.  You can't easily troubleshoot something that is currently running, so you'll have to be prepared when it acts up again.  Remember, assuming good compression, all engines want to run, they just need air, fuel and spark at the right time.  A list below to get you started:
  1. Air:  Symptoms are not indicative of a clogged air filter, that wouldn't be a transient condition.  That said, a stuck valve could be an issue.  A vacuum gauge can help with this, but hard to describe here all the ways to read that.  Perhaps simpler, a stuck intake valve would blow back through the carb on every compression stroke, whereas a stuck exhaust valve will suck back in on every intake stroke.  The exhaust valve can be checked with a piece of paper held up to the exhaust outlet and see if it gets sucked back in whilst acting up.  Valves sticking are something that can happen as the engine warms.
  2. Fuel:  When it acts up are you getting fuel?  Choke it heavily and check for wet spark plugs.  The tank is vented through the fuel cap, loosen the fuel cap while it's acting up and see if that clears it up.  Finally, the shut off valves at the bottom of each side of the tank have a propensity to get clogged.  If they still have the fuel inlet screen on them I would cut that off.  That said, fuel screens clogging would be more random, not only when hot.  But I bring it up because I had this very issue with a Cyclops tractor, randomly not getting fuel and it was the inlet screens.  The valves are just a press fit, pull straight down to remove, one on each side.  Also make sure the valves are clean and fully open.
  3. Spark:  You say new coil, but coils can be bad right out of the box.  Test for spark while it's acting up, assume nothing.
Back to the valves... With air cooled engines it's well worth running Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in the fuel.  Some top end lubrication can make the difference between a sticking valve and not.  The MMO also can keep the carbon cleaned out which can be the culprit of sticking valves or not.

Obviously a frustrating problem, but take the emotion out of it and diagnose it.  It's just a machine, don't let it beat you!  Work through the above and report back, hopefully we'll get this solved quickly!  
   :beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

ISHMAN2284
First and Last Name: Ethan Ishman

Post by ISHMAN2284 »

Thank You! I will take this list to my guys garage tomorrow. it has him for a loop as well. I very much appreciate the help. Its gonna be mowing season soon and I have 4 acres to mow. We have a little 80s yard machine 38 inch cut like new condition but just for around the house haha

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Another thing i would look at is the connections at the key switch. this series tractor was prone to having problems there with melted corroded connections. A problem there could cause loss of power to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carburetor. Not sure if the symptoms follow this path or not. but something to check 
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave C. makes an excellent point.  Every Cyclops needs all the electrical gone over.  These troubles can be difficult to trace, and they can change with heat.  If a connection is suspect, disconnect, clean and be sure to coat with dielectric grease before putting back together.  Dielectric "Tune Up" Grease is available at any auto parts store, Amazon, etc.  In addition to troubles with the connections at the key switch, the switch can get burned up internally.  In addition, this series of tractor introduced more safety switches, each one a potential point of trouble.  You have to work through them methodically.  Stick with it, it can be conquered!
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

"I'll take all things fuel related for $400 Alex"
"Question..when an engine dies, what small spray can will help check for a fuel related problems?"
It rhymes with your name.
The pulling of the choke has got me wondering
Oh yeah..... welcome!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

dag1450 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:49 pm
"Question..when an engine dies, what small spray can will help check for a fuel related problems?"
Oh yeah..... welcome!

Uh, Tom, I think Dags helmet fell off......he's muttering again. :lol:

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

BigMike wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:33 am
dag1450 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:49 pm
Oh yeah..... welcome!

Uh, Tom, I think Dags helmet fell off......he's muttering again. :lol:
I'll take, "Off his Meds" for $1,000,Alex!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Ah, D2, thanks for reminding me of Mike's healthy slap at dag there, I'd forgot to acknowledge!  Mike, the helmet or the straightjacket, one of them is missing!

D2, there's some things that meds just can't fix! :lol:
<><

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Oh boy!
It’s definitely spring when we dog pile Dag!
:D

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Tom Scott wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:26 pm
Ah, D2, thanks for reminding me of Mike's healthy slap at dag there, I'd forgot to acknowledge!  Mike, the helmet or the straightjacket, one of them is missing!

D2, there's some things that meds just can't fix! :lol:
Trust me, I know that!  But most of us are a couple bricks short of a load anyway...