Honda Repower Problem for 1882

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
B Rogers
First and Last Name: Barry Rogers

Honda Repower Problem for 1882

Post by B Rogers »

Would appreciate some ideas- working on a Honda gx610 that was put into an 1882 by PO - almost but not quite done. Problem is not starting when cold - starts instantly with ether when cold, but will not start without ether. Starts warm using lots of choke. Replaced all fuel lines and fuel pump. Tried a spare electric fuel pump - started hard and "extra" fuel came out the vent on the side of the carb. Once started, runs like a champ, smooth, idles down, and will restart when warm. Guessing I'm not getting enough fuel to the carb after it sits - I'd put an electric pump on if I could find a very low pressure unit. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance-

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Re: Honda Repower Problem for 1882

Post by ReicheP »

Is your choke adjusted correctly? Is your battery charged correctly? I run the same set up in my 682.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Can you put your hand over the carb to manually choke it? I'm not familiar with Hondas but a lot of the Kohlers had huge holes in the choke plate so people don't flood them in cold weather. If it has big holes maybe you can plug them somehow. Are you sure the carb is in good shape? Maybe there is a circuit plugged or something.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Todd the GX610 has a somewhat oddball choke adjustment. Also the choke cable needs to be shortened from the CC set up, it may be too long.

B Rogers

Post by B Rogers »

Thanks guys- back in from trying again. Battery good; fuel pump good, fuel cut off good; carb looks clean. Beginning to think electrical - (air, fuel, spark). Possibly the ether will fire before the gas, so could be as dumb as dirty plug, etc. That will be tomorrow's challenge. Appreciate all your help, and I will let you know what I find next.

Barry

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

I'm putting my money on the Carb....

Bet a good cleaning.rebuild/adjustment will do wonders.

If it has spark and compression that is the only other thing it can be, especially when you say it starts when it is warm...

One of the circuits in the carb is plugged.

I once had a M20 that stopped dead in its tracks and ould not start.

Culprit was a tiny piece of fuzz stuck in the end of one of th eneedle valve tubes...

B Rogers

Post by B Rogers »

Thanks for all the suggestions - got it running today. For information, I replaced the carb with a complete new carb, without success. Replaced fuel pump - no success. Finally found the problem- the honda carb has a shut-off cylinder that is electrically triggered. I had checked and double checked that it was working, and that the line was properly connected to a line from the ignition switch. The problem was the source of power that I was using was hot when the ignition was on, but was not hot when the ignition was in start. Added an independent toggle switch to make certain of power at start and run, and it started instantly. Now it's time to mount the snowblower for the upcoming white season.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

If you run the wire from the hot side of the solenoid to the carb you won't need the toggle switch. I only use either to start my diesel truck(I try not to use not except in emergencies) and I use Gasoline(if I have mixed gas I put that in the squirt bottle then you can squirt it into two cycle engines with out harming them) in plastic squirt bottles to shoot in carbs. A lot of the squirt bottles are affected by the gas so it takes a while to find one that will work for a period of time.

ReicheP

Post by ReicheP »

Any chance you have a wiring diagram of this fuel shut off on the GX610?