steering wheel puller

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

steering wheel puller

Post by MattS »

Anybody see that "5 in 1 steering wheel removal tool" for cubs on ebay? It looks real nice.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Re: steering wheel puller

Post by Dave C »

IT Works MINT! i met the guy on saturday he is a local to engine mike and joe. Me joe and mike were the R and D team!

We had the display at the Kent, ct show this past weekend... and man did it draw attention!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

Great design and build but, for $90.00 it'd take an awful lot of stuck steering wheels to justify it. JMHO
Official Member SCCG

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Those look nice and I'd love to have one in the tool box with all the steering wheels I remove. However, until my 2 methods of pushing on it with my knees a bit and on old style ones lifting the tractor an inch off the ground with my loader around the steering wheel fails me, I can't justify buying it. I will say this though, if you destroy one steering wheel and steering column on a removal gone wrong, you've about paid for this tool. It took 50 years, but it looks like someone finally came up with the ideal tool for this :)
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

That's really cool, but I can't afford it either, so I'll stick with my harmonic balancer puller and oak block steering wheel puller:
100_3557 (Custom).JPG
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Post by mlamar »

I'm still behind the times using a good shot of PB Blaster the day before and my foot on the frame with my knee under the steering wheel as I let loose on the stubborn thing with my trusty air chisel. I have removed a bunch and only lost one. I loosen the nut about half way and use a flat washer on the pointed chisel so I don't split the shaft. Gotta love these old Cubs.

EngineMike
First and Last Name: Michael Miner

Post by EngineMike »

Just so you guy know, he's going to offer the puller by itself. That will save some money and it also won't be polished. He figures some guys will have a harmonic balancer puller in the drawer like Matt.

This is just one of those tools that has been along time coming for alot of collectors. Jim's got a ton of time into making this and Joe, Dave and I testing it and giving or opionions and feedback. He'll get the tool price down to where everyones is happy and it won't break the bank. Maybe some feedback on where you think the price should be for you to want to purchase it would be helpful for him? Thanks

MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

Post by MattS »

I would love to get that tool for around $60, but when you compare it to what the prices of tools are now, $90 with the shipping included isn't too far off. If Snap-on made it, it would be $200. I noticed that there were no SGT model numbers listed on the auction, so will it work on a super?

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

If it becomes available without the puller kit and non-polished someone let me know what they go for. That is a slick setup, but I have a good balancer puller.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Mike and Joe, in regards to our talk today I started surfing around once we came home.
Here is what I picked of the McMaster-Carr site-
91247A492L.GIF
This has two drawbacks though, it needs additional threading and at nearly seven bucks it becomes cost restrictive.
Lots of folks (myself included) have a harmonic balance puller already on hand and the built in adaption for one would generate a lot more sale interest
I really like the concept of it being able to remove any of the series of wheels too!

dmcdowell
First and Last Name: Dan McDowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Gee wiz, I did some work to my 123 this summer replacing the column (thanks Jess Laws) so I was getting ready to wage war to get my wheel off. I un bolted the wheel and pulled lightly. Go figure

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Once in a while you find one that someone put anti-seize on it and just put the nut back on a little over finger tight?

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Geezer,
Ha Ha, That is what I do with all of mine. Most of my tractors if you grab the steering wheel you can wiggle it a little.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

jimmyz
First and Last Name: Jimmy Zucca

Post by jimmyz »

Todd and Geezer, Your comments could be in my info-mercial. Knowing what I do now, I would never put a wheel back on without never-seize! As to not tightening the nut all the way, would you ever recommend doing that on any other fastener, anywhere else on the tractor, just because I don't have the right size wrench to remove it? I could do a funny you-tube video of some guy (maybe engine mike?) blasting across a field, hits a bump, steering wheel comes off in his hands! Of course brakes fail at the same time(also finger-tightened), fiery crash. Cut to spokes-model (gotta be Joe M) somber voice, "friends don't let friends drive with loose nuts, get a http://www.jzfab.com steering wheel puller, save lives" ;) As far as using a piece of fire-wood under the wheel, on one of our test tractors, a 127, there is maybe 1/2" between the steering wheel and the hydro lever, good luck getting that log in there!

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

That isn't a piece of 'firewood'...that's a scrap of what was probably a very expensive piece of Oak lumber at some point. I only own 82 series tractors and an Original, so there is no hydro lever for it to interfere with ;)
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

jimmyz

Post by jimmyz »

The point I was trying to make is that on some tractors you have room to lay on the dash, and push up on the wheel. That won't work on 3's, 5's, 7's, or 9's. Just because I could maybe remove a bolt with vise grips, doesn't mean I wouldn't rather use a socket and ratchet. A block of wood, no matter what species or how expensive won't work on many tractors.

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Jeez...And the point I was trying to make is that my puller works on MY tractors...

jimmyz

Post by jimmyz »

You're right brother. Truce?

dmcdowell
First and Last Name: Dan McDowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Regardless of the incidentals of removing a steering wheel that is most likely been rusting on for upwards of 45 years, it is nice to see such colorful banter from everyone. Piont being, we all want the cheapest, fastest, and least destructive way to have our wheels off in under 3seconds, in under 3 pieces, for under 3 pennies. So everyones feedback is good. My favorite is Geezer. If somebody can notice a loose nut on the wheel at 3.5mph. They are loose nut behind the wheel. Always safety check the gear your about to use, regarless of ownership.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Dan , your welcome , always glad to help out a fellow cubber .
Todd and William , I agree with the antiseize , after I usually fighting to get that old rusted 45 year old steering wheel off , they all go back on with antiseize on them .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

jimmyz wrote:Todd and Geezer, Your comments could be in my info-mercial. Knowing what I do now, I would never put a wheel back on without never-seize! As to not tightening the nut all the way, would you ever recommend doing that on any other fastener, anywhere else on the tractor, just because I don't have the right size wrench to remove it? I could do a funny you-tube video of some guy (maybe engine mike?) blasting across a field, hits a bump, steering wheel comes off in his hands! Of course brakes fail at the same time(also finger-tightened), fiery crash. Cut to spokes-model (gotta be Joe M) somber voice, "friends don't let friends drive with loose nuts, get a http://www.jzfab.com steering wheel puller, save lives" ;) As far as using a piece of fire-wood under the wheel, on one of our test tractors, a 127, there is maybe 1/2" between the steering wheel and the hydro lever, good luck getting that log in there!
If you people are worried about a steering wheel popping off a morse taper you should stand way back when you turn your drill press on as that don't have a nut on it finger tight. A morse taper dosen't turn or you couldn't use a large drill chuck in the tail stock of a lathe. I think the only reason they use the spline is to make it easier to get the steering on straight. they could use a key for the safety factor but some times the steering geometry gets out of whack and you can get the steering wheel straight.

jimmyz

Wheel off in under 4 minutes!

Post by jimmyz »

It seems that this part of this thread was lost! :o I believe that Mr. Ray Weaver, of Ray's IH Parts, Stevens, Pa. had just remarked that he had recieved his puller, thought it was comparable to the Snap-On tools he owned, and was planning on trying it out next week. We are all looking forward to hearing his opinion, as he probably has more experience dealing with stuck steering wheels than most of us! If you want to see it in action, check out the videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQJlvbw8 ... P4p5RTuM0Y

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

we have tested this steering wheel puller for a little while now and it works great if you need to pull a steering wheel its cheaper to own this tool then buy a column and or a steering wheel we have found if you start with another way some times it makes it so you cant use the puller we lost both because we thought we did not need it wish we had done the puller right away I give it a high 5s for being a good tool to have there is one improvement to make thought so call me 717 587 3727

EngineMike

Post by EngineMike »

This probaly isn't the place, but Joe, Dave and I will be bringing along a few of these steering wheel kits to Fort Allen next week. Any of you guys that thought about grabbing one, now is a great time. Just trying to pass on a great tool you "almost" can't live without!

You can get just the puck or the whole kit. Will have a few kits with us. Just come up and ask one of us.
!B6nmS3wB2k~$(KGrHqJ,!ksEy+jCvweJBMy!IDpO0g~~_12.jpg
!B6nmS3wB2k~$(KGrHqJ,!ksEy+jCvweJBMy!IDpO0g~~_12.jpg (21.26 KiB) Viewed 11832 times

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Bryan
The on-line pricing is 90 and 60, Jim Said to do $10 off at the show! I'll take plow day orders if Anyone wants one be sure to e-mail me by Wednesday mid-day As we are leaving first thing Thursday.....

Ray
Updates?
I'll have Jim Call you.....

albie
First and Last Name: Albie Breidenbaugh

Post by albie »

Tried mine out tonight worked great, pulled a rusted wheel off a parts "O" at Steve T's after the kids 4-H meeting. Turned the puller down tight and smacked it with a hammer and off it came,less than 5 minutes, Thanks again Mike
105 147 1650 382 782D

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Never trust a guy walking around plow day with one of those and a battery impact driver........
Question it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

EngineMike

Post by EngineMike »

Albie, it was great to finally meet you and your daughter! I hope the MD. crew can make it up to Colchester in the fall. The farms website is http://www.qvea.org and the address and dates for the next three years are on the site. It's a great place to get lost for a weekend at.

Scott, as always it was nice seeing you and it was nice to meet your better half.

Ken L. I hope to see you at Colchester this weekend with your boy. There's going to be quit a few forum members their that I know of.

Frank C. I haven't heard from you in a while, but I hope to see you their!

Here's a YouTube video Jim made up. I think it's different then the one above. I can't say those acting classes he took so he could shot this video helped him at all.

I have to give a big thanks to Dave C. for his amazing work on making this site better everyday! And for the rest of the guys that keep this running! Thank You!

albie
First and Last Name: Albie Breidenbaugh

Post by albie »

Thanks Mike and I probably can't make it this year but will try to make May or July next year :beer:
105 147 1650 382 782D