Belt pulley

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Belt pulley

Post by Farmallgray »

I went to the big automotive swap meet at Carlisle Pa today not looking for, or expecting to find any Cub Cadet stuff. I bought a rear PTO for my 100 at Red Power and I have been looking for a Farmall Cub belt pulley to put on it. I happend to stumble across one at the swap meet for $50. That is about half what I see them bringing on evilbay so I'm pretty happy.

At out local show we have a small wooden threshing machine that is normally powered by a horse powered sweep. Lately we haven't been able to get anyone to bring horses to run it so it sits idle, or doesn't get brought out for display. So my thoughts are to run the thresher with a my 100.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what rpm the pulley will turn, or how many feet per minute the pulley will give. Even if I have these specs for a Farmall Cub I can figure the difference for a CC. I'll have to measure the pulley because I know they offered different sizes.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Re: Belt pulley

Post by J Hayes »

Horse power sweep ? Do you mean like a pole that horse is attached to and walks around i a circle?
A cub at med idle first gear would be as fast as a walking horse I believe
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Todd,
It's going to be slow because of the Cub Cadet's 7 to 1 gear reduction before the transmission. The PTO on a CC turns 514.28 RPM at 3600 RPM engine speed, where as the Cub PTO turns at engine speed. A 1947 Sales brochure for the Farmall Cub list the following based on the early Cub engine max speed of 1600 RPM.
PTO RPM, 1600
Belt Pulley RPM, 1322
Belt Speed, feet per minute (9" pulley), 3114
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Jim,
A sweep is what we use now. There is a belt from the sweep's gearbox that powers the thresher. I am talking about bypassing the sweep and powering the thresher directly by the Cub's belt pulley. I have thought a time or two about doing what you are talking about as wel,l but it would be a lot of work to set it up right.

Paul,
That is what I needed to know. So from that I'm getting a pulley rpm of 425 and belt speed of 1000 feet per minute with the engine at 3600. My pulley is a 9".
I may just try it to see if it works. If worse comes to worse we may be able to change the pulley on the thresher.

I know Geezer and Tony have run other small equipment with theirs so I figured there is a chance it would work.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray