Continuous Thread for all the Posts That Don't Rate a Topic

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Re: Continuous Thread for all the Posts That Don't Rate a To

Post by J Hayes »

OK guys .. be lenient on me I need a Briggs expert .. I gave my book away now I need the info on how to adjust valves on an 18 hp V twin vanguard so the ARC works correctly I cant remember if the drop in the piston to be 1/4 "BTDC or ATDC and the settings for sure I think .004 Exhaust and .006 for intake ?? Just checking.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

EdWells
First and Last Name: Ed Wells

Post by EdWells »

Jim you can go to bs web site using engine numbers and find specs. I think 1/4 past tdc

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

I got this in today to work on. Its a home made stump grinder made from a gold corse mower. The guys day has built them for years. He showed me some pics of one he built on a Drott under carraige. This is the smaller one of the two he has. Hes giving me a motor to rebuild for a back up. they are 32 hp commands. The one in the box he said says expermantal, where Kohler called his dad to test the eng out. I think its cool, if it truly dose say it Ill snap some pics. Theres something etched into the block, but cant read it for the oil dirt mixture on it.

Te stump grinder eng wont run all the time. I pulled the air filter out to see that the inner filter had failed. Its a very well known 3 lettered aftermarket filter, so I was surprised. Ive been useing them for many many years. Also its using oil like a qt a day, all in one cylinder. The plug foules out every few days. I fogot to upload a pic of t.
Attachments
STUMP GRINDER 001.jpg
STUMP GRINDER 002.jpg
STUMP GRINDER 003.jpg
STUMP GRINDER 004.jpg
Box of parts, FUN!
Box of parts, FUN!
STUMP GRINDER 006.jpg
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Vince, I sure wish I had that stump grinder to play with for a couple days !!

Weather made it to 52° today (Jan 1 st) so I got my snow crew together Got the little walk behind snow blower running and the Big "B" olens steering column welded it got my 52" blade on it, and found a backup snow shovel ready for the 5-6 " expected through tomorrow night to Tues afternoon. Gonna leave the 782 rest till spring maybe exchange the18 Vanguard into the cub as I only use the B**lens for snow , and throw the oil burning K 17 into it

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

We are learning the hard way that while pretty photo shoots of your dog or cat hanging out underneath the Christmas tree is cute it can turn into dangerous or fatal results.
While Tommy here got his jollies every year playing with the stuff hanging from the tree we had no idea he had been chewing on the light wires.
DSCN0515.JPG
We found him hiding under a bed on the evening of the 28th with saliva running out of his mouth and sped him off to the vets the next Morning where he has been for the last five days, most of that under intensive care. Today it would seem that he has turned the corner but he will be there for a couple more days for possible additional IV fluids and antibiotics to help him recover from the major burns to his gums and tongue. One very lucky pussycat-
I'll feel better after he's home :D
And the vet bill is paid :cry:
All you cat nostics out there feel free to jump in with the cooked kitty jokes now :lol:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Ken - Although I am a dog guy, I don't like to see any animal get hurt. I hope the best for your kitty, and the least for your vet bill! (Don't feel bad, I too have been made fun of by my friends for extensive dog surgeries. I just can't put them down when they can be saved.)
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Ken,
We have to keep all our shoes in the closets because our cat chews them off. We have had company over and they may have only had their shoes off for a half hour. He manages to find them and chew them in that short time. In our old apartment we had phone cords running everywhere because there were no jacks. He made short work of them too.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Well the kids said good by to their diesel today. Its going to a new home, cant belive it didnt even last a year. In place of it will be a 2072, with a bad rear.
Attachments
000_0664.jpg
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

This Morning I went looking for a rubber back sanding block.
I know it's here somewhere :?
Sometimes, it amazes me what I think I don't know. I wound up with this instead.
There is well more than enough here to make up another entire set-
DSCN1465.JPG
Breaker ONE NINE, this here's the Rubber Duck- I'm pullin over on the side to chain up :lol:

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Ok so much for the common Ford Chevy Dodge debating .. I'm gonna get me Toyota ! A fellow tried to kill an old junker ....
can he do it here ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

Or Here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPnIpjo ... ure=relmfu]
Mabe Here ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnVZXQD ... ure=relmfu

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Huff ,Puff wheeze, cough, cough, Puff, Puff, Wheeew !! Two days now the forum had me locked out I don't have any Idea why ?
Google Chrome kept me logged in for a week without never having to log in .. Firefox on the other hand , I would have to log in every day.
I didn't do or change anything and just now I tried it again and here I am....Was I being punished ?

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Ok got rid of my big Cub Hauler , but the replacement needs a ride home.. trouble is GPS will not work when I get within 10 mile of the place it's at.
When I went to look at it Ol Tom Tom made be turn rt when I should have turned left and down 119 through Greensburgh to the pike and back then when I got close enough it didn't take the shortcut the PO told me to take on Dahl rd it took me to the other end of it and WOW what a trip.. two houses on that end and between two telephone poles was a path even had a homemade sign said you must have 4WD......No problem I went down over as I had me wife's Grand Cherokee, but it didn't tell me road was washed out and someone had tried to tailgate some gravel in the washed out areas but rather than spread out it was just dumped in big humps here and there. so we went 4 wheelin over those ..very steep and only one spot to possibly turn around so I continued...then GPS just gave up and
wouldn't tell me anything well I found it and bought it now I need to find it again, I need to beg borrow or steal a car hauler or find
someone from the Greensburg or Latrobe area that knows something of the area around Champion Pa I do know better ways now.
Attachments
Old
Old
New ( Needs a head gasket )
New ( Needs a head gasket )

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Jim,

I can get a Ranger on my trailer and I just put a hitch on my new cub hauler.

Champion's not too far from me, let me know if you need it hauled!
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Thanks Scott ! I did find a guy to haul it got it to the shop this afternoon Boy is that area where it was a mess for GPS and or trying to find the little signs like rt number 200003?? We left at 10:00 AM got back home 3:30 PM google map said 1 hour and 26 min from my house.. it was at 120 dahl rd in champion my Gps lost track and kept re grouping.. It took me this time down to 22 via 981 from mmy house turned left and eventually went to ligonier ... on the way back I waved at your place on my way through youngwood , gtreensburg and apolllo ???? go figgure..... all the fault of Tom Tom :x :x

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

At last my love I have finally found you. Well, not exactly. But I have been looking for a Gravely model L walk behind snow blade for untold years now.
Yesterday at the Colchester, CT. swap meet I struck pay dirt :D
DSCN1875.JPG

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

I have not been on the site much lately, real busy with the job.
They've had me in Texas and Tennessee for training with more to come...
Can't complain though, our mechanics are working out in this weather, generally inside a steel building with a few other engines running making heat.
Not to mention FR clothing (long sleeves to boot).
IMG_0482.JPG
One of the engines took on some liquid (fuel) and had a little detonation. Hard on pistons and rods, washes the cylinder walls and knocks the carbon loose and can actually melt the piston on places.
IMG_0475.JPG
That's a glove laying in front of the piston for reference.
IMG_0474.JPG

Marlin
First and Last Name: Marlin Homrighausen

Post by Marlin »

I think that I'm figuring out how to post pictures on here. Two weekends ago, I went to LeClaire, iowa to visit with a great gentleman and pick up the Pow'r Pup at his place. Dave Kamp was able to get the Pup back to Iowa for me. I wish to give everyone a BIG THANK YOU for all the offers and the assitance that I was blessed to be given. I'll need to figure out how to post multiple pictures on here and become more acquainted with posting. Right now this awful heatwave and other prjects are keeping me busy from some getting some serious tractor work done.
dave and ppup  resize.jpg

Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Thank You, Bryan. I had it running only the carburetor was full of slime and rust so I changed out carburetors before it got way to hot to work outside. Something happened and now I don't have spark. The pulley on the engine is the wrong size and the engine is a ten horse Kohler that I'll get better pictures of once it is running. It almost appears to be a Gravely engine. I know its dimensions are too tall and wide to make an original style hood from the blueprints for. If the picture shows up then you can see it fairly close to Ryan McShane's 169. He'll need some TLC to get him back into original condition. Overall appearances are that whoever built him in some areas actually overbuilt the little fella. Once running then I'll get some pictures of it alongside the other Cub Cadets. If I can be of assitance to anyone at anytime in transporting anything from one area to another please feel free to e:mail or I'll try my dangdest to catch it on the Transportation Site.
Attachments
Pow'r pup is HOME.jpg

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

Marlin,

I'd like to see some more pics from various viewpoints. That's a cool little machine.

Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Howdy Scott!!! It was a busy morning and then hot afternoon today. I had to go to Des Moines and get four "new to us" tires for Ol' Blue's replacment Dakota. They were very reasonable and I should have looked at them harder only due to the heat and wanting to get home ASAP (missed a parade with two boys in it that we are helping them start their own lawn mowing service) and trying to cover a lot of territory. Hopefully they will be good and last at least a year. Here are some pictures of the little fella. The rear axle is from a 1932-38 Ford rearend as with the driveshaft/transmission. Steering components are from a 1951-53 Studebaker. That funny looking thing on the hitch was a very poorly welded wheelie bar. The hitch itself is just what I needed for the 4x4 replacing 'Blue. A four inch drop trailer hitch. As the weather cools and time allows for me to work on the little guy I'll try to get us some close up shots of everything. It's going to be a slow refurbishing proccess however well worth the outcome. Whoever built the tractor truly used some scrap steel in places and over built some things. The double drive pulley should be only one belt and the engine pulley should be 2 1/2 inches instead of around four inches. The gas tank should actually be on the engine (most of these used Briggs engines). I'm going to try for a 10 hp Cub Cadet Kohler and mount the tank if necessary where the battery is now. It won't be in the way in that location. Right now the SEARS CAT O three point is supposed to be mounted on the right side of the rear axle and the tank will interfere with the lift arm. I'll have to install an electric fuel pump. The battery should be under the engine in a compartment bult for it. AND it has hydrualic brakes. I'm kinda afraid to even think of trying them. I'll have to make footrests due to there isn't really much room for gusy with big feet. I want to keep it as OEM as possible.

Tomorrow morning I have a ten o'clock appointment top have our "new" tires mounted on the 4x4 so that will kill the morning. Hopefully in the afternoon ther will be some time to get the Pow'r Pup running. One thing Angel and I agreed upon is when the tractor is truly all completed I'm taking it to A.J.'s Plow Day and meetin gall you great guys. Below are a couple of pictures of Ol' Blue's replacement.
Attachments
Pow'r Pup Transmission view  big pic.jpg
Pow'r Pup Steering setup  big pic.jpg
Pow;r Pup Rear Axle   big pic.jpg
Pow' Pup At Melody's.jpg
1994 Dodge Dakota.jpg

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Here's something pretty interesting that I stumbled upon on Craigslist today
5Gc5E15Hf3Ga3Me3N3c680746ce5ce6281c05.jpg

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Looks like it has a 154 cub Lo-boy motor in it.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

It's Crosley powered. 26.5HP@ 5400RPM.
5Gb5Z45Jc3M83L83Hec68a8bcb80827e41100.jpg
The distributor magneto conversion, flat bottom oil pan, and tag affixed on the water jacket cover directly above the starter motor would probably indicate a factory build for stationary engine use rather than a passenger car application. There were many variants of the stationary type engine built such as military, water transfer, generator, V belt drive, and so forth. I'm a bit surprised the builder used the Cub Cadet clutch as there should be a Farmall Cub style clutch within the bell housing- perhaps it's a direct drive setup and there is not one inside. Here's a shot of the engine in mine-
DSCN2049.JPG
For anyone interested in wishing to take a closer look the Craigslist # is 3064898254. I'm not- I find the one on hand quite sufficient ;)
DSCN2039.JPG
I closed out the matter with the weeping rear end a couple of weeks ago thanks to help from folks here :D
DSCN2051.JPG

Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Ken L. I've missed out on your creation so some pictures of it please. I'm getting to like the one of a kind machines like yours appears to be. Thank You In Advance!!!

I had the four bargain truck tires installed on the 4x4 today. The store in Marshalltown employees said that I definintely got a bargain. Four take off truck tires for the Dakota at $120.00 for all four and then another $100.00 to mount, new valve stems, balance and old tire disposal. Total investment was $220.00 for four tires with less than five hundred miles on them. Not bad for a craigslist find. (Of course I got on the computer really early yesterday morning and saw the post minutes after it was posted.)

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Uh, OK- I sure would not want anyone thinking that I'm jacking the thread :?
Since this is a no topic thread I suppose it's OK.
Actually, it's something of a family heirloom for well over 40 years now.
I suppose that someday it will belong to my Son.
If he ever stops trying to see how fast it will go. That ain't your wheeler, boy.
He already knows that. When the throttle cable jammed. Those engines can do seven grand when they are a runaway :roll:
At any rate, in the middle 90's I was forced to place it in storage under less than perfect conditions where it sat until Sept. 11, 2009.
Here's what she looked like on that day-
015.JPG
After nearly 3 years of searching I finally obtained a replacement front blade finishing the overhaul. Strange the way things vanish with time.
Left side
DSCN2043.JPG
Operators view
DSCN2044.JPG
Engine right side
DSCN2047.JPG

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Sigh- :?
It all started a couple months ago when the inmates at the print shop found themselves getting bored.
Orders were handed down to make up a fresh batch of state seal decals for new police cruisers.
Some joker got his hands on photoshop software and altered the markings on the cow, and then the inmates got to work and printed off a batch. If one looks closely at the shadow below the cow it's clear that got altered too- just use your imagination. Something like 28 new cruisers got the reworked graphic wraps installed on the car doors before anyone noticed.
ap_police_pig_plates_nt_120202_wg.jpg
And today it would seem that some farmer up North who had a bone to pick with the local authorities got in his big red 4WD tractor and went for a drive to the municipal building parking lot-
19180748_BG12.jpg

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Teds pics 010.jpg
Ken here ya go! recognize these?? saw them on a trailer close to my house .
Attachments
Teds pics 011.jpg
Teds pics 012.jpg

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I certainty do Jim. Both models are rather rare although there are quite a few of those little buggers still running around in PA. :lol:
The blue one is a 1951 or 52 Super panel delivery (roll up windows, stainless trim, and bird on hood make it a Super)
The other is a Farm-O-Road made from 1950 to 52. Open gearing or 4 to 1 speed reduction. Less than 600 were ever made. They could be fitted with a variety of factory implements but probably the most common choice was the 10" plow. After purchasing the tooling, Croften continued manufacture of it with their name well into the early 60s' but I don't know how many were produced.
Here's a factory action photo since we all like plows-
moore-crosley-05_resized600X400.jpg

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

can't find the actual pic , but one like this sold on Epay for $5900.00 with the mower.
Attachments
moore-crosley-02_resized600X400.jpg
moore-crosley-02_resized600X400.jpg (24.56 KiB) Viewed 11070 times
This is what owner wants it to look like when finished
This is what owner wants it to look like when finished
moore-crosley-06_resized600X400.jpg (46.42 KiB) Viewed 11070 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

The Wife and I went over to the IHC Chapter 18 Power of the Red meet at Dublin, NH. today.
The turnout was pretty meager because of all the rain we are having here lately but this was there and I thought that it was pretty cool-
DSCN2124.JPG
Walking over to the other side I was totally not expecting to see this common shared intake system :o
DSCN2126.JPG