IH-490489-R2 Belt

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Tim DeLooza
First and Last Name: Tim DeLooza

IH-490489-R2 Belt

Post by Tim DeLooza »

Any one else bought a IH-490489-R2 PTO to deck belt lately? I went to my dealer to get one and what he had was about half as wide as the original. A friend of mine had told me he had also tried to get some earlier this year and he was given the thin ones too. He said they all came back within a week because they flew off. :?

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Re: IH-490489-R2 Belt

Post by rweaver »

Tim the deal on those belts take them back to your dealer and tell them to call cub and cub will warranty them what happened is when cub changed belt vendors they got the specs wrong IH went by inside dia and this vendor went by outside using the same spec so its to small my dealer called cub and he warrantied all mine

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Tim

I had the same problem
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

I have seen this belt too, there is no way it could possibly be correct.
It's about the thickness of a clothesline.
And it's clearly marked JH-490489-R2 on the top.

Ray, can you explain what you mean by warranty :?:
Has a new batch been made up?
Has a new part number been issued?
My dealer did not seem to know a thing about this :roll:

bermuda-ken
First and Last Name: Kenneth Updike

Post by bermuda-ken »

I have yet to see ANY of the correct sized belts get shipped from Cub Cadet. IF CC knows they have an issue, why do they keep shipping the small belts.???? :roll:

rweaver

Post by rweaver »

ok sorry I never finished my info the belt they told us to use is a hydro drive belt from a 1420 lawn tractor part number 754 3037 hope that helps your dealer has to call cub to get warranty
Ken I think cub wants to act like nobody knows there is a problem

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Tim

I got a belt for my 106 it was so thin. I burned it up in about 3 months. I got a new one when I worked with Frank and it was the same number and wider. Ill have to see if the number is still on the belt. It looked like the same number you posted.

Oh and they will ship you whats on their shelves, If they can get away with it they will,

THIS IS JUST MY OPION
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Ray, thank you for that part number- I'm sure there are plenty of folks who appreciate that!
Sadly, I see nothing but trouble ahead for hundreds of folks next Spring when it comes time to mow the lawn
I'll play the devil's advocate here by saying maybe they want it that way :oops:
While the CC belt book states that it's 3/8' wide actually that's never been the case- the correct one when new will be 7/16" measured across the top.
This is a shot of one that is well worn, it measures .410 across the top-
DSCN0157.JPG
Napa offers what is supposed to be an exact replacement under their BladeRunner line P/N 6513BR.
305733.jpg
While the width across the top and length is good, it lacks the proper depth at the V sides, and after running a while it will invert itself at the mule drive idlers, then matters turn worse soon after this happens the first time. I went through two of those in one week and wound up putting the IH belt in the top shot back on to finish out the season, this it did so with no problems whatsoever. So I'd stay away from that one too- it was a waste of money for me.

Let's hope they get this issue corrected soon, in the meantime I'm gonna buy every decent used one I can get my hands on-

rweaver

Post by rweaver »

Kenneth L it was not me that came up with this info it was the guys at cub who told my dealer what to do and my dealer bought all of my stock and sent it back to cub [ prolly the ones you guys are getting now] along with theirs

Neal_C
First and Last Name: Neal Cutler

Post by Neal_C »

A bit of quick info on belts, the reason IH listed the belts as 3/8" is because that is the "running" width. Or, where most of the energy/power is applied and transferred through the belt. Not the actual outside dimensions. Good info here: http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm :)

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I have been told that the 754 3037 belt has gone NLA recently not to be restocked again.
Has anyone else heard of this, and is it true?
Does anyone have any reports of the correctly made IH490489 R2 belt making it to the shelves yet?
Thanks in advance!

rweaver

Post by rweaver »

I have not heard nothing that 754-3037 is gone yet I just ordered another today so we shall see

Tim DeLooza
First and Last Name: Tim DeLooza

Post by Tim DeLooza »

I ordered a couple things from Madson’s Service and was talking to him about the belts. He said that he had an aftermarket one that they have had decent luck with. The dimensions look pretty close to a NOS one I have, so we’ll see how it works in the spring.
Attachments
belts.jpg

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Geezer pointed out and interesting thing today about Cub Cadet Original ( Genuine ) ?? belts/ parts,
see blue print at bottom of box for the mower deck for my 782 I just acquired.
Attachments
100_8798.jpg
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Can anyone report if this problem has been corrected by CCC?
I am running out of options and have run down to the last correct one on hand

jdudding
First and Last Name: Joey Dudding

Post by jdudding »

I have all of my belts crossed to Goodyear and I havn't had any trouble with them and I have been running them for 3 or 4 years now I order them from an industrial supply company some of the belts are a 1/4 of the price as a cub cadet belt.Joey.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

The longest run time that I have ever gotten out any of those so called exact replacement cross referenced belts was 20 minutes or so.
At first they skew sideways in the V groove and then they start hopping off. After this happens twice they become worthless.
I have spent silly amounts of money trying different brands all with the same result in the end.
After putting back on my last 30+ year old IH marked belt on hand I can mow the lawn all day long without an incident. But that ain't going to last forever.
The deck is in proper alignment and the mule drive pulleys are turning freely and where they belong too.
All the replacement belts I have seen and tried are lacking in the proper V depth thickness so they are unable to navigate the 90 degree twist about the mule drive pulleys without inverting and failing.
As far as I'm concerned the only belt to use is the factory part. That's if I can find one that's been made to specification, not a bad batch like the ones I get shown at the counter every time.
From what I can see the multiple dealers I have spoken to refuse to accept that there is an issue at hand, it seems to me they seem to like hashing out that dog and pony dance story about what a special angle design it is but show them what one is supposed to look like and their retort is the old deer in the headlights stare.
And that's with the factory part number clearly visible right on the sample.
Judging by my tone one can tell I've become somewhat annoyed by it all :lol:

This is a snap shot of the correct thicker cross section belt versus a standard dimension one.
DSCN0945.JPG
Does anyone know who might have the RIGHT belt :?:

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Kenneth,
I got a few of those n.o.s. ones off ebay a few years ago.I still haven't used a new one cause the old ones still work well,
keep an eye out for them there....

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Ken,
Have any of the belts you tried been an "A" series? That would be an "A" followed by a 2 digit number. The A section belts are an industrial belt that has a deeper v than the 4L series belts. They may be a bit too wide though.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

I have found that my Troybilt Horse Tiller works with a Troybilt belt, the NAPA belts just don't cut it there either. I keep a few of those on hand as well.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Pat,
I am in agreement with your thinking that some particular items are very brand specific. While I do use gates belts for many other applications only the correct factory issue part will give the best service for this particular case in my opinion.
Todd,
The statement you made jarred my thinking from long days past, many years ago I did use an A79 Gates belt for the application and it provided decent service but for how long that was I can't recall.
If memory serves me that belt ran at toward the extreme top of the PTO pulley. Not really a big problem by itself.
A series belts are assigned values of plus two, that is to say an A79 belt will have an outside measure of 81 inches. I realize that you are closely associated with NAPA and I have nothing other than good things to say about 99% of their product line. However their Blade Runner brand belt failed for me in a miserable way twice.
Lewis,
I had not given thought into checking EvilBay but that's a point well taken. For me it's always been a 50/50 proposition with them. I guess the word here is let the buyer beware. The NOS items you mention were from two years back and chances are that stock is depleated by now, still it's an option worth looking at.

Now there may be folks reading this thread and saying to themselves OK, so what's the big deal?
Well I happen to think it's a HUGE deal, one that's big enough for me to toss a Craftsman throw away into the yard. I need to mow my lawn.

I have been scanning around the net and have come up with a couple other numbers that seem to match up-
Rotary has one listed as #10830
Stens has one listed as #265-037
I need also to look again into the 754-3037 CCC belt that Ray W. mentioned, but that could well amount to another half hour long kiss and tell session at the Cub dealer :roll: Mr. negative ain't I :lol:
I know nothing about as to how the first two fit or perform. But I might be finding out, the belt pile in the milk carton is getting larger and larger :x

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Ken,
I'll have to look at some of the old stock belts I have at home. We used to get some from a company called Riverside Tractor Parts and they had some belts that were good substitutes for the IH ones. I have their version of the 5/8"mule drive belt on my 882 right now and it has been working good for two years so far. They have the IH number on the sleeve but probably have a mfr's number on the actual belt. I'm pretty sure I have some of them in that particular number.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Ken,
Another NAPA/Gates number that crosses to is 3V800. They are 3/8" wide and have a 3/8" depth.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Ken
I installed one of those stens belts on my 100 tonight it has a 42" deck like a 125 would have. My father ran it hard for over a hour tonight with no issues. The V seams to be just like the one on the MTD(new) and the IH (Worn out)tagged belts I have here..... will post more in a few mowings....

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Joe,
I'm going to have to give that a try. If I can find somebody around here that carries Stens.
I put this 32 dollar thing on today, this shot before even trying it.
DSCN0947.JPG
Notice how it's too low in to the PTO pulley groove
I measured the thickness before mounting it and that dimension was about .050 thinner than the old genuine IH part.
In about 3 minutes it turned itself sideways :evil: I re set it. Second time around that lasted one minute.
Then I mowed the lawn but that ain't going to last.
I'm positive that if I put the old one back on it would work perfectly.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Update-
There is a cause and reason why all things fail and I think that I might have discovered something-
The CC belt that I bought on Saturday is just only slightly thinner at the top than the old IH branded one. I do have every reason to believe that the rubber band thin belt that I was shown last year at another CC dealership was obviously dead wrong. I bought the new one on the basis of looks in comparison to what I remembered. The new one may in fact work just fine but I've yet to give it another try.
I had been told at the counter that it was a new freshly stocked item.

About three years ago I needed new mule drive idler pulleys and NAPA had four right on hand- I bought them all.
I mounted them on and re used the IH old belt. The setup worked perfectly, I considered the matter closed and forgot about the whole thing.
It was when it came time to replace that belt problems started rearing up beginning with that first batch of miss manufactured belts.
I started taking a closer look at those idler pulleys, and I noticed a difference in them compared to the factory ones.
I had only one good factory pulley on hand so I bought another.
By the first outside look things seem good. A genuine IH pulley is on the left, the replacement is at the right.
DSCN0951.JPG
However,turning them on their sides reveals another story. The pulley from NAPA does not have a sharp V at the bottom and is overall slightly wider as well, I'm betting now that the new belt was tracking on the bottom.
DSCN0958.JPG
The factory IH-61176-C92 pulley-
DSCN0960.JPG
I'm starting to suspect also that the old IH belt was just wider enough that it could not roll over but the new CC one could :geek:
I will know for sure next time when I throw that PTO lever again :roll:

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Post by pattonacres »

I have 4 490489-r2 belts here with the original ih part number on them. two are notched belts and two are reg. V belts. not sure why the dif. but same part number. email if your interested. pattonacres at msn.com
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

those napa pulleys i beleive are designed to accept a 1/2 belt or an "A" series belt...... so running a stock belt which is like 7/16 was probably not gonna work.

For the most part i have changed all my mule drive idler pulleys to the 1/2 inch ones from napa and run all "A" series 1/2 inch belts with no issues.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Dave,
Yes, I was thinking more than less the same thing.
Is this the one that you use? Notice it does say for IH right on the bag, that's why I purchased them.
DSCN0969.JPG
Here it is mocked with a newer 1/2 inch wide 4L section belt and the depth does seem about right.
DSCN0963.JPG
I noticed one other thing that stands out between the two if one compares the side by side view shown above. While not replaceable the CC pulley is tracked by a real ball bearing, the other is a stamped Lazy Susan type construction so there is a valid reason why the factory part costs much more.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

yea that number looks right.... theres another thread around here somewhere that has them listed..... somewhere
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......