Steering tube question

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
Lance
First and Last Name: Lance Trgina

Steering tube question

Post by Lance »

The steering tube separated from the box that I'm working on. What are you using or doing to reunite the two? It is a pretty loose fit. I thought about JB. Any suggestions. Thanks. Lance

cjrolke
First and Last Name: Chris Rolke

Re: Steering tube question

Post by cjrolke »

on a couple of mine I have opened the tube back wide enough so it is a tight fit back in to the box

an exhaust pipe stretcher works good or just some round stock and a hammer

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Some guys use JB Weld or you could use 2 part epoxy . The key is to get the steering tube and box grease free and clean to make a solid bond .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Lance

Post by Lance »

I cleaned all the grease off both parts and roughed them up with some sandpaper. I've got some JB. I think I'll try to get the fit tighter before I join them. When I removed it there was some silicone around the joint. I don't know, but it may have been apart before as one of the ball bearings was missing. Just waiting for the new parts to reassemble. Thanks much. Lance

Lance

Post by Lance »

Got my new steering parts installed and used some JB to reattach the tube to the box. Pretty happy with results when I installed it on my 108. The stud was worn some so I got about a third of a turn in which put the not so worn sides in touch with the grooves on shaft. Got to test it pulling the kiddie train at the town family day on Saturday. the kids didn't want ride the carts they wanted to drive the tractor, imagine that. Lance

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

Hi all,

So I found myself having to rebuild one steering column from parts from three columns. Turns out I have three different lengths, and only one length was appropriate. OK, that means I have to use that steering shaft and tube. Fortunately, shaft was salvageable, with good splines and minor thread damage at the top.

Unfortunately, the housing was in bad shape internally; some bearings got loose and did some serious rubbing on the aluminium housing... (Could only see that after a fair amount of time cleaning the part, of course!) No problem, I have two other housings; one happens to be loose from its tube. Now to remove the tube of the appropriate length from its bad housing. Err; not going to happen!! (Without wrecking it.) So, search this forum and and auto parts stores with caliper in hand...

Turns out that the best option for me was to get 1.5" EMT tube (galvanised metal ridged electrical conduit) at Home Depot. Only had to shave the OD slightly at one end to fit it into the housing, and, a 3/4" ID flanged wheel bearing presses in perfectly for the top of the steering shaft! :-) Since I don't have a lathe, I used the bench grinder to shave the OD of the tube until I got a tight fit into the housing.

I decided to make the steering tube removable, even though I have no plans to do so. I did that by putting anti-seize in the bottom half of the housing and RTV clear silicone on the top half of the tube. Hence, when I press tube into housing, the anti-seize should help with galvanic corrosion, and the RTV at the top should keep moisture out. Won't know if it's a good idea until the day that I hafta disassemble...

As you'll see in the attached pics, the steering column mounts a bit at an angle in the tractor... Not overly surprised; this tractor is being built from two different models; not worried about it at this point.

The 'Super Steer' bearing is not available in my province, and I felt ordering from USA was too expensive. So, the local bearing house suggested a 'needle thrust washer bearing', which I used, but forgot to take a pic of the part. Pretty inexpensive part. It's roughly the thickness of a thick washer. In one of the included pics, you can count three washers; the middle one is actually a bearing. Put one on the other side as well. Very happy with the end result; I can steer with finger. :D

Cheers,

wheel bearing for top of the shaft
wheel bearing for top of the shaft
IMGP5132.JPG (632 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
'needle thrust washer bearing'
'needle thrust washer bearing'
IMGP5134.JPG (643.6 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
Installed (angled)
Installed (angled)
IMGP5133.JPG (686.82 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
PTWannaHave

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Nice job Ben!
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Good work, Ben! :beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

Thanks; I hope my findings will help somebody else in the future with a steering tube replacement, and wanting a bearing at the top of the steering shaft...
PTWannaHave

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I clean them up really good then rough them up with 80 grit sandpaper. I use red (high strength) thread locker to hold them in.
If I need to replace the tube, 1-1/2" exhaust pipe works great.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray