Trailers

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Trailers

Post by Farmallgray »

I'm thinking I am about to the point of needing a different trailer. The one I have now is only big enough for one garden tractor.
If all goes well, I should be running two pullers sometime next year. I can haul one in the truck bed but that is a pain. My Dad has a 6x12 enclosed trailer that is good for long trips and we can just fit two in it. But it is so tight inside to strap things down that it's a pain for short trips. So I'm thinking I want an open trailer too. I'd like to stay under 3000# so it doesn't need inspected here in PA. I'm thinking somewhere in the 6X12 to 6.5 or 7X14 size range. I would like to have one without the side rails but you don't see many without them. I'm almost wondering if they need to be there for strength. I'm also not sure about a side loading gate. I'm pretty sure I want a wood floor rather than mesh. I'm looking for thoughts and opinions of various types, sizes, and features. I have plenty of time to shop and decide and save up the money before I actually need it. I'm also looking for suggestions of good places to buy (preferably in or near central PA) and brands. And if anyone has a used one they want to sell let me know.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Re: Trailers

Post by chzuck »

The sides of the landscape type trailer is what makes the trailer strong. The sides act like the trusses used in the roof portion of buildings with a flat roof. A trailer without those sides would need a heavy frame underneath and would get rather heavy and for a 3000# capacity rating, you would not be able to haul much.
I think you will need to go over the 3000# class for what you want.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Todd,I have a single axle 6-1/2 x 12 and it has served me well.It is constructed of angle iron and does flex some but I have had 4 Cubs on it and it hauled it just fine.My next trailer would be a 6-1/2 x 14 dual axle and would be tube or channel frame contruction.

redbull1
First and Last Name: Andrew Mann

Post by redbull1 »

Todd,
The trailer tongue on most trailers is welded to the first frame cross member. These you want to avoid. Over time the corrosion from bad weather and weight from whatever you haul will cause the tongue to break off at that attachment spot. If possible buy a trailer where the tongue is an intergral part of the trailer frame. Also check to see that the wiring is shielded and has groumets going throught the frame. The wiring should be weather tight. Some trailer wiring is spliced connected together with no weather connectors. Over time corrosion will set in and ruin wiring.
Andrew

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Todd
I bought a Pequea 6x12 trailer (it really is 6 1/2x12) new in March of 2008. I bought it through Ray weaver and picked it up when I went to the winter convention that year. Dave C. also bought a bigger 16 foot trailer at the same time the factory double stacked them for us and we saved big time compared to buying something here. I paid $1500 Dave was over 2K but he also saved. Combined we where over 1000 less then buying here. Mine has brakes witch is something I think all trailers should have, the axle is good for 3500 but is marketed at 2999 to save on the PA inspection. I have had mine all over and I'd guess i have over 5k miles on it. The longest trip was to western NY to the winter auction in the fall of 2008. I came home with 2 Cub Cadets on board although they where nested quite well. It towed and still tows perfectly straight and has been a great trailer. I opted for no ramp for the added fuel savings when empty always using the aluminum rams got old after 2 years and last fall I stopped and Lowes and bought 2 2x10's and a ramp kit for the ends. I bought 2 3/8" bolts 4 inches long I removed the lights and drilled a few holes then welded nuts behind the lights in the tube steel, I now carry my cordless impact gun behind the seat but much easier and safer as things will sometimes fall off and roll around the bed of the trailer....Don't ask. The electrical is second to none all ends are factory sealed and any custom parts are added using the heat shrink butt connectors. I had an issues and called to PA I had a new harness in the mall a few days later. All it ended up being a plug half way that came lose!
Attachments
DSCF1838 (Small).JPG

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Im in the prosses of buying another trailer. Or should I say hunting one. Im looking for 7 x 16. Mine is 6.5 x 12 single axle.

Its a bit too small :shock:
Attachments
0703091607.jpg
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

This is what Id like to buy but its all the way in Macon Ga.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/grd/1955320631.html
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

Todd pequea will custom build what ever you want daves trailer was not a stock unit I have owned 3 pequea trailers what really sold me on them was in 2004 my dad was towing my 1999 10,000 deckover when he was hit headon hauling a 7 tooth chisel plow and rolled the trailer for what happened to the trailer it was in pretty good cond I sold the trailer to a guy and he fixed it and its still hauling today I wont buy just any brand plus I have a guy who lets me sell them for him his prices are very hard to beat

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Todd,
This looks like a good deal.I has brakes. Never heard of the company though,but what do I know...
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/grd/1931012761.html

Don T
First and Last Name: Donald Tanner

Post by Don T »

My trailer has a wood deck that is 14' long with 2 3,500 axles. The frame is built from 4" channel iron and the tongue extends and is welded to the frame.I have installed brakes on the front axle. It has a drop down tail gate to load my tractors.I can turn the cubs side ways and load 4 if nec but I usually just haul two. If I could I would post a picture. The sides are 1" square stock with 3/4 re-bar welded 1" up for tye downs and works great. The trailer tows great ,but is a heavy trailer and most want light trailers. I have a diesel 4x4 truck and I want well built and don`t care if its heavy. It has trailer tires and all other safety equipment.Water proof lights and led`s. and its for sale now lol. I will be getting a 16' v-nose enclosed so I will have more storage area. Later Don T

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

I build my own trailers now. Current trailer is a 14,000 unit. Getting ready to build a three axle trailer so I can increase load limit to 18,000#. If I were going to buy one, it would be an IMPERIAL from Olney, Il. I owned several and never had a single problem plus they tow great. My choice is the Lo boy model so you can load sans ramps.

My primary single/double cub trailer is a single axle that when loaded with two cubs would easily be under your 3000# max.
It also tilts for loading.
TRAILER_1322 [640x480].JPG
TRAILER_1317 [640x480].JPG

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Todd,
I have owned several trailers from 8' to 22', and with angle iron frame's to various sizes of channel iron frames. Buy a bigger trailer than what you think you need, or after the first time or two you use it you will wish it was bigger. As the saying goes, trailers and garages are alway 2' too short. Buy one with brakes (electric, not surge brakes). The low cost angle iron trailers are just that, low cost trailers built with light weight materials (1/8") and wider spaced cross-members. That is not to say that there are not some good trailers built with angle iron, but the good ones use thicker material (3/16"- 1/4" or so), so you get what you pay for. There is usually more twist and flex from an angle iron trailer than one of the same size with a channel frame and cross- members. I prefer channel frames and channel cross-members on 16" centers. I like tiedown "D" rings secured to those cross-members rather than trying to tiedown tractors to the side rails. I use an average weight of 700lbs per Cub Cadet, and yes the actual weight will depend on how it is equiped and the model but on average that figure will be pretty close. Add the weight of "weight's" and other equipment for your pulling tractors, plus the weight of the trailer, and you start getting close (or over) the capacity of a single axle trailer with a 3500Lb (or less) axle. I would stay away from tilt bed trailers that have the axle centered under the length of the bed. It is hard to get any tongue weight with them ( should be 10% -15% of the total weight of the trailer and load), and they don't tow that good, at highway speeds they will "wig-wag" or sway side to side. Some people will say they have one and it doesn't do that, but I believe they would change their mind if the ever followed it. For the best towing and handling, the axle(s) should be aft of the center of the bed length, how far aft depends on the trailer length and number of axles. There is a recommended distance but I don't remember what it is. It is best to have trailer rated tires, specially with two or more axles, because the sidewalls are stiffer, although the trailer I have now came with light truck tires on it (good trailer tires are getting harder to find as fewer tire manufactures offer them).

So, bottom line, shop around, do your homework, and buy bigger (both size and payload) than you think you need.........the 22' I have should have been at least 24'........or I could leave some of the load at home
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

What Paul said.
I've seen his trailer loads, he's done this for a while.

I went from a single axle (that I bought from Paul) that I over loaded occasionally. To a tandem, that I still over load occasionally.
My trailer is 18' and I forget the exact width but it's not wide enough to put my stuff side by side.
Every tractor I have is wide. Seems to be a trend with me.....
Loader with duals, Super 2072, "IT" with super rims (which are offset to make a wider stance) and 10.5 ags, and my 148HE which has 26x12x12's.
I can load those four but nothing else on my 18'.

I only have brakes on one axle which, by the way, are a must on any trailer worth it's salt.
I have been thinking of selling the one I have and getting one a little heavier.

My fab four......
IMG00367.jpg
Maybe a little heavy. There's about 1500#'s of tools and parts in the bed.
DSCN9096.JPG
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

I forgot to mention that I don't need a big trailer (16' or longer) because I have a C-60 with an 18' flatbed for hauling big stuff.
I can haul 6 cubs or 2 Farmalls on it if need be.

I am looking at the Pequea trailers. The dealer where my Dad retired from sells them so I'm getting a price.

Tmo
First and Last Name: Terry Reed

Post by Tmo »

Frank,
That's a neat looking little trailer. And you made that? Nice.

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Terry...
Thanks...
Made it from stuff lying around the farm about 7 years ago. Is used constantly and is beginning to show some wear. Had a lady back into it and damaged her car far more than the trailer...
Definitely needs repainting...Rustoleum has not fared too well.

I made it to fit behind my Conversion Van and built a drop hitch adaptor for my F-350...

Matt can tell you how much you can stuff on it....LOL...

Its been to Missouri, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky, Iowa and Nebraska as well as all over Illinois. I would guess it has over 50,000 miles on it.

sblunier
First and Last Name: Steve Blunier (Mr. Plow)

Post by sblunier »

I absolutely LOVE my current trailer, a PJ 83”x18’ Utility with some nice options. The best part is that they make this trailer in a single axle 14’ long model with many of the same options.

For your circumstances, an 83U x 14’ with a 2’ beaver tail, side ramps (side rails that double as ramps for the side or rear), electric brakes, removable rail option???, and spare tire rack would be a nice combo.

They come with Bulldog couplers and nice automotive style sealed wiring harnesses. LED lighting is also an option.

BTW, 6’-4” isn’t wide enough for a short trailer, especially with SGT’s, the 83” trailers are a God-send for the SGT’s and likely for your pullers. Also, built in side ramps/rails is a HUGE deal…very easy to use, very functional, built in ramp storage with no “sail”gate.

cbingaman
First and Last Name: Chad Bingaman

Post by cbingaman »

Todd in my opinion if you just want something that you can haul two cubs around to a pull I would consider something like the driveover four wheeler trailers Worthington makes. I know worthingtons are made of aluminum and that would make them more expensive, but I think some of their designs would fit the bill for what you would want to haul. I am not sure where they might be sold up your way but if you did a search on them I know they are made in Muncy.

The best bang for the buck I have found to date though is PJ's. When we looked for a trailer to haul straw to auction we looked long and hard into many brands. Moritz I didnt like as the fit and finish on the trailers we looked at was AWEFUL. Places the frame rails didnt come together properly and they put filler metal in to fill the gaps before they welded. Pequa and Belmont are both good trailers, in fact the same gentleman that started Pequa is the one now making Belmonts. If you look at them they are almost identical. My only problem is they are a bit too pricey, which is what led us to the PJ. It had the best quality and features for a reasonable price. In fact since we bought the first one which ended up being a 25 foot gooseneck, we have added a second PJ that is more of a car hauler stlye but without the side rails. We bought ours from Fayette trailer sales just south of Mcalisterville.

I think any of the above brands would be good choices with the exception of the Moritz. Just not a fan after what I have seen in the past unless they have changed. Belmont, Pequa and Worthington are all made in Pa.
Cub's of the farm currently: 4-Originals, 2-70's, 100, 122, 123, 124, 73, 106, 107, 126, 800, 782IH built, 982IHbuilt, 782D, 1572. Farmall Cub and Cub Lo-Boy and too many attatchments to think about.

blawhorn
First and Last Name: Bob Lawhorn

Post by blawhorn »

I have been looking at tandem small tire deckover and i think that will be perfect for what i want to do. Kinda like the aluminum worthington

sblunier

Post by sblunier »

http://www.pjtrailers.com/brochures/web_utilities.pdf

I have attached a link/address for downloading PJ Trailers info on the heavy utility line of products.

This is a NICE trailer with any/every option you can think of....and as stated above...very well made for the $$$$

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

I got a quote on a PJ from Fayette and they seem pretty reasonable. I got a quote on a Pequea also and they are in the ballpark.
If I buy new I'll probably go with one of them. There is a place just up the road from my house selling trailers and I'll check them out too.

I'll check out the worthingtons also.

I haven't looked at Moritz but my cousin has a big goosneck that he is happy with.

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

Here is an example of what I mean when I say a trailer is always 2' to short. This one is 22' with two Lo-Boys, an Original and the stretched "O" with the Teledyne engine, and all are tied down, but there sure isn't much "wiggle room" between them. I would rather have more room between them because straps will loosen up in the first few miles or so, and let them move around a bit, one reason you should always stop and check the load security after a few miles.
Attachments
MVC-663S.JPG
MVC-664S.JPG
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

sblunier

Post by sblunier »

Todd,

Note, the PJ U83 x 14 has a 4" channel frame back to the axles and can be had with 16" spacing on the cross members......this makes for a very stiff trailer, without overly excessive weight.

Ernest
First and Last Name: Ernest Auman

Post by Ernest »

Todd,

You probably already know Bieler Machine shop up the road from you makes trailers too? I forget where the amish man sells his trailers at (to what company I mean)

I see you posted about retail guy there by you.

There is also http://www.dkhostetler.com/ in milroy if you haven't checked them out already?

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Ernest,
I didn't check with Bieler's yet. The other place I was talking about is Fast Track trailers in the old ambulance garage. I stopped and looked at theirs one day
and wasn't real impressed. They seemed pretty light.

I did stop at Hostettlers one day but they weren't open.

Ernest
First and Last Name: Ernest Auman

Post by Ernest »

Not sure of the name now but the old Williamson Honda dealership over outside Mill Hall has trailers. According to my uncle who bought a larger trailer a couple years ago the quality is not there like fast track.

Stoners small engine in Pleasant Gap had some. What I seen a while back is 1' metal sides with metal floors. Were talking a couple months ago. So inventory may have changed?

McAlisterville http://www.fayettetrailersales.com/

Myerstown http://www.wengers.com/trailer-sales.asp

Fisher trailer sales (717) 242-0941
223 Middle Road
Mc Veytown, PA 17051-8117

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Post by mlamar »

I just had a red Cub Cadet dropped off and the guy used an old U-haul trailer with high bars around the side. I wish I had taken a picture. It looked real sturdy and could haul 3 GT's. He purchased it from them as used. I have a box store brand trailer (to ashamed to show a photo :roll:) that I can fit a 1650 with deck and room for a dirt/snow blade. I'm really glad that my truck has the 8ft bed. I can haul any of the IH built Cub Cadets and have done so. My good friend Wally has one of those enclosed trailers that looks like you could transport a half dozen Harleys in at one time. You could put a bed in that thing and still have room for 6 Cub Cadets :lol:

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Todd, just curious, what was your final trailer decision? I looked at a Gator Made trailer yesterday that was really nice. It was wider between the wheel wells than my current 6x12 and they make that size in a tandem axle. The one I looked at was 16' long, which is more than I really want, not to mention the extra trailer weight. Instead of having the angle iron rail around it, there is no rail but stake pockets all the way around, which I really like. It also comes with a pair of 5' metal ramps that store underneath the trailer. I was pretty impressed overall with the construcion quality, and it's rated at 7000 lbs. I'm still looking, but that was a pretty nice trailer.

Jeff in Pa
First and Last Name: Jeff Derstine

Post by Jeff in Pa »

I just put a deposit down on this trailer at the local cycle shop, it's a 2007 model but brand new.
http://www.tritontrailers.com/products/ ... o=features

(minus the bar on the front)

The bed is 4' x 8' and it also tilts. Capacity is 1290 lbs. That should do fine for one cub or my motorcycles.

Not too bad for $299 :D

Jeff
125 & 125 with hydraulic lift

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Steve,
I haven't done anything yet. Unless I find an incredible deal on a used one, I probably won't get one till next summer or later. I'm even looking into the possibility of a deckover ATV trailer.