Ag tire question

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
JoeK
First and Last Name: Joey Koenen

Ag tire question

Post by JoeK »

Hi again guys, just have a simple question to ask. I am thinking of putting some ag tires on my 2086 for the winter, any thoughts on what brands would have ag tires in a 26-12-12 and 18-8.50-8

i would like some sort of ag bar tire for the back and a 3 rib for the front. i checked with the local coop and they cant get any 3 rib fronts but said they can get 2 types of bar tire
they can get Carlisle tru power ag lugs for $130 a tire or BKT trencher tires for $112.

yes my snowblower did come with chains but im not sure they will fit my super size tires :lol: just throwing this out there hope this hasn't been asked before and answered
im asking this on company time so i dident look very close. thats all for now back to work :beer:
1772 - my new toy
2086- main mower at home
Super LT 1554- has it easy mowing the lake lot

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Ag tire question

Post by Farmallgray »

The Firestone floatation 23 from ME Miller tire are the best looking ag bar tire in my opinion.

The only 3 rib you will find are 16-6.50x8 but they are very tall and look pretty good on a super. My dad has them on his 2072. But they won't fit your rims. You could also go with the Vredestein 5 ribs in 18-8.5x8.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

JoeK

Post by JoeK »

can i order them from any tire place or do i have to order them online? what would look the best and handle snow good is what im after and of course the dirt too at some point. i have been thinking about getting another set of rims anyway to install the FUN tires on so i dont screw with my mower settings, with that being said if the rear tires are26-12-12 what size rim would that be :?:
1772 - my new toy
2086- main mower at home

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

I prefer the Carlisle Tru Powers. They look very beefy when mounted. I have had Goodyears, and an older set of Firestones, and I hated the narrow look on the Firestones. The ones that Todd mentioned look great, but at 3x what a Tru Power costs, I can't justify them. I can't say on any other brand, but the Carlisle ag tires always seem to have a shorter overall height than the same size turf tires.

Carlisle Super Lug or S Lug are a good option too, but have been discontinued. There are still some sitting in tire warehouses, I'm sure. They are a little more round over the tread area into the sidewall. I have a pair of these on an old Bolens QT17, and I am very happy with their performance.

Just a quick check online shows that the Firestones are well over $350.00 each tire, and the tru powers are around $110-$125.00

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Joey - You mentioned winter use, so I have to mention that Ags will never perform like good two link chains on turfs. I love having Ags on my loader tractor, but for snow duty you just can't beat chains on turf tires. If you don't have hills, maybe you will get away with just Ags, but they are nowhere near close to chains on turfs. When I have had occasion to venture the loader tractor (2182-1) out into the snow with just Ags at first they seem pretty good, but anything that gets packed down and slightly icy, forget it. Ironically, this is where chains on turfs shine. I was moving some berms back with the loader and almost couldn't get out of my situation on flat ground. When I finally got that machine put away I went back with the 1872 with turf/chains and drove around the same area with impunity.

Notice I am not just saying chains; chains need to be on turfs for best performance because a chain on Ags will likely fall between the Ag bars in many places.

For fronts, I highly recommend the Vredestein 18x8.5-8 five rib tires. I have them on both my 2182's. The 6-ply made a huge difference on the loader with the heavy load from a loaded bucket. The other 2182 is mainly used for mowing and snow blower duty. I was pleasantly surprised at how little they mark the turf for mowing. They are the right size tire for the Super and perform and look fabulous. If I had know how much I would like them the 1872 would have them as well, but I had already bought new turf tires for that one. Also, for snow the five rib will give you as much steering as anything can.

The 6-ply are only $10 more than the 4-ply, so I put them on the mower/blower 2182 as well. No negatives with the heavier tire, and good to have when I raise the heavy blower.

Just my 2 cents...
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

JoeK

Post by JoeK »

thank you for the information guys i will definitely take everything you say in to consideration, so from what i see no store has the 5 rib tires there only available online is that correct? Tom Scott- you answered my next question about the front tires holding there own in the snow and taking the weight of the snowblower any thing other then a turf tire has to be better in snow :lol: so my next question is where would a guy find rims and this may sound kinda dumb but what size are my rims if my tires are 26/12-12 and 18-8.50-8 ? the rubber on my tractor is still very good and i hate to just throw them in the shed and not use them, i figure i would get a set and throw them on during the winter and use my turf tires for mowing but like i say im open to any suggestions , also just throwing this out there can you not use chains on ag tires ? but one thing at a time snow aint here yet anyway so ill keep looking and thinking

thanks again guys
1772 - my new toy
2086- main mower at home

PGHsteelworker
First and Last Name: Tim Knapp

Post by PGHsteelworker »

You can run chains with your ags and the traction is better than without chains but turfs with chains will give the best traction in my experience with my supers. The chains on my firestones that came with my 2182 don't fall between the treads too bad if you keep them tight. The rear wheel size is 12x8.5 with 1.5 backspacing. These wheels came on the supers only and are a bit hard to find but a 10.5 inch wide version can be purchased new from Extreme motor works for $95 dollars each.
Attachments
DSCN0557resize.jpg
DSCN0557resize.jpg (449.44 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
DSCN0567resize.jpg
DSCN0567resize.jpg (397.91 KiB) Viewed 4092 times