982 three point question ?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

982 three point question ?

Post by jpackard56 »

So what is required to add three-point to a 982 other than the arms and such that are several hundred dollars everywhere I looked. Extreme's looked nice, pricey but nice. ( Everything I've gotten from them has been top drawer so I can swallow the price when I need something.) I'm asking about the hydraulic stuff, is it all there on a 982 just not hooked up? or what?
Thanks,
Jim
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 982 three point question ?

Post by Tom Scott »

Jim - It's all there. If you buy the entire Xtreme kit (not just the arms) you will have an entire working Cat 0 three point hitch. The Xtreme kit is a SGT version of what was put on the standard GT so it doesn't have the rear pto provision. While mine is factory, I would not hesitate to buy the Xtreme if I knew that I had no interest in the rear pto.

I say go for it! I have found the three point very useful and use it more often than I suspected I would. I have the rear pto, but they only ever made two attachments (rear mower and tiller) so unless you know you will be chasing one of those down (hard to find) then the Xtreme hitch is an excellent choice. There is also a gentleman named Bill Ruegg http://www.rueggmfg.com/index.php that makes a replica of the true SGT three point that does have the rear pto capability. They aren't shown on his website, but he does make them.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Jim, I've had both the Xtreme hitch and the Ruegg hitch. While both are very nice, the Ruegg is a much heavier built hitch like the original. It is very well made and if I'm not mistaken, powder coated and the Xtreme hitch comes bare metal. In addition, the lift arms are the proper type that actually "step out" for lack of a better term, and are wider at the lift point than at the pivot point mounted to the tractor. See the attached pic of the Ruegg hitch. If I'm not mistaken, cost wise it was almost identical and maybe even a touch cheaper than the Xtreme. As Tom said, the Xtreme hitch is basically a GT hitch with an extended lift bar to the hydraulic cylinder, the Ruegg is an actual Super hitch. The Ruegg does also come with all of the hardware required to install, including the toplink. This also made it nice having everything already there to install....
1772-2-1.jpg
1772-2-1.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 5327 times
1772-2-2.jpg
1772-2-2.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 5327 times

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

+1 on the Ruegg. Xtreme makes awesome stuff but hands down the Ruegg hitch is better, heavier built, the correct hitch for a SGT and cheaper.
Here is what you get out of the box.
Picture 046.jpg
Picture 046.jpg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 5312 times

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

This is good to know! I was able to get a factory hitch, but if I end up in the market again, I will be leaning towards the Ruegg.

I would love to have multiple three points, but it is hard to justify the money for another one. If I got motivated enough for a separate rear cylinder, it would be good to have a back blade whilst snowblowing...
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

+1 more on the Ruegg. My cousin put one of the Ruegg hitches on his 1782 and he is very happy with it. I looked at it and I couldn't tell it from a factory one.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

jpackard56
First and Last Name: Jim Woodworth

Post by jpackard56 »

Wow ! Thanks for all the info. Admittedly I didn't know about the Ruegg at all, guess my search was weak. I'm still waffling quite a bit on purchasing the 982 in question. It is a fair price (I think, its just a little out of my comfort range currently)I don't need a 982 I just have wanted one ever since being at a plow day couple years back where Jess and another young fella had some and they don't seem to come up that often, or they are WAY out of my pocket-book range.
Again thanks guys,
Jim

PS: Going to try to get to AW's plow-day today.
"Hard work denotes the character of a man. Some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all !"

Bsmith
First and Last Name: Brandon Smith

Post by Bsmith »

Where can the Ruegg hitches be purchased at?

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

(330)418-5617

I have had one, and they are top quality.