982 Onan spark issues

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

982 Onan spark issues

Post by ksanders »

Before I mess anything up is anyone familiar with an Onan performer engine, or electronic ignition in general? My long-time flawless 982 suddenly started sputtering a bit when hot like a fuel issue but carb cleaning and adjustments didn't help. Using it yesterday it suddenly just died after 45 minutes of finish mowing. No sputtering or loss of power, just sudden stop! Still have compression so good there but no spark. I assumed coil but know they have an ignition module under the flywheel that can cause issues as well as low oil pressure shutoffs I think. I went to jump the coil positive side and just touching the wire makes the spark tester bulb light up when it's hooked to a plug. Points ignition I'm fluent with but trying the test light to either side of the coil posts while turning engine produces no power to the test light and I have no spark.
Is it just a coil or something not allowing power to it? I've never messed much or had issues with electronic ignition engines.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Re: 982 Onan spark issues

Post by Rmowl »

I can't offer any help, I have an onan performer 20 in my 982 that's finicky to say the least. I have spark, but under load no power. I'm personally ready to replace it with a magnum 18 I have sitting on the bench. Everyone I've talked to that's has Onans on their welding rigs loves them until they need service. I haven't ran my 982 since last summer because of this issue, I'm ditching my onan, hopefully you resolve your issue. Also I have found if you need parts casegardentractorparts.com has great deals on onan parts such as coils.
too many IH cub cadets

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

Thanks for the link. I remember all the issues you've been having. I love the motor and use the tractor more than any of them the last few years so certainly not hoping to ditch it.
I was going to order a coil and condenser but trying to rule out wiring first. I just don't know if I should have power to either side of the coil on an electronic ignition. With points obviously you have constant power to the + side and on/off to the - side. Right now I have nothing to either side and don't know if that's right or not on electronic ignition. Seems like I'm not getting power to coil
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

I messed with it further and there's a red wire from ignition module under flywheel to positive coil post and black to negative post. With everything unhooked the red wire is grounded (which doesn't seem right).
Since you have one getting spark with electronic ignition, how much trouble would it be to take a test light and see if the positive side of the coil is hot or grounded? If it isn't supposed to be grounded mine has a module grounding under the flywheel

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Yeah sorry I can't help! I was looking online this morning for something to help you but came up with nothing. Saw some general stuff on u tube but nothing exact. This is not my area of expertise. I did see some people saying that the small wire off the magneto is your kill wire? Maybe you can clarify (with pics) for me or others. When u say coil are u talking old school coil like a soup can thing.....or a magneto coil that runs off the magnet on the flywheel? Just wondering.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

NEVERMIND MY LAST POST. DON'T NEED ANYTHING CHECKED FOR GROUND OR POWER!

First to answer your question Dag,its an old style coil with an ignition module under the flywheel instead of points. I attached a pic with my multimeter leads on it. It's not an old round one but external nonetheless.

Now, the reason I don't need any power checked for reference. It's driving me nuts so I keep going back out and trying to trace it. I checked every wire that plugs into the motor wiring harness. One runs all the way back and ties into the pto Fuses. I checked both and one was blown (don't know if front or rear pto but assuming rear). This seems odd to me that pto functionality would wire into coil power but the harness isn't cobbled and customized except to add an oil pressure light for the Newer engine. Replaced the fuse AND IT FIRED RIGHT UP! Try to turn on rear pto and it tries to die. Don't know if something back there is bad (sure hope not) or something just shorting out but I certainly don't understand the two being inter-related. I have to stop for work in the morning but I have a lot of studying and testing on that wiring harness to get to the bottom of this. Regardless, it started and ran so that's a good start. New one on me.
Attachments
IMG_20180610_143045.jpg
IMG_20180610_143045.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 4177 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Hey that's great! Huge step forward.....now just to find the culprit
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

ksanders

Post by ksanders »

That was hours of work and research to be way off base. Good learning experience though.

Turns out it was a wire that escaped it's clip under the battery box in the rear. Worked down to the rear pto pulleys and rubbed it almost in two. Guess the missing in the motor was something grounding out... I'm thinking the bypassed seat switch wires. Repaired the wire, readjusted carb, and it runs without missing. Have to cut with it this weekend and be sure

Rick,
I remember your thread but not quite everything you tried. I read during all this that the flywheel key can actually break and throw timing off on these motors and cause poor or no running issues. Could this be possible on yours?

Rmowl
First and Last Name: Rick Mowl Jr

Post by Rmowl »

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be pulling the engine out again anyhow for the starter, I'll check that for sure, may be my problem
too many IH cub cadets