1872 stator up-grade

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

1872 stator up-grade

Post by JMotuzick »

The charging circuit on my 1872 loader tractor is not working. I’ve done the work and one leg of the 2-wire stator is not putting out. I’d like to order a new stator before I open things up. Has anyone up-graded from the 15 amp factory system to the 25 amp system? Or is it not worth messing with? I have a few used factory parts engines... looking for advice on upgrading or not.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: 1872 stator up-grade

Post by dag1450 »

Why are you considering 25 amp? Lighting demand? Tom and I were discussing this last winter. I bought some cheap incandescent light from blazer I think the name was....but man they suck down the power. Look at LEDs. That's really the way to go these days.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Dag
Yes, I’m a fan of led too!
I’m more worried about the pto being on all the time from start up to shut down. The loader has a pto driven hydro pump. Maybe I should look into a 15 stator and a pulley to replace the PTO and let the pump always run? Ive had this 1872 about 10 years other then a hydro leak where the rear has a set of stripped threads on a axle tube mounting bolt this is the first issue I’ve had! It’s been a mower, a snow plow, and a Plow day tractor before I found the loader for it.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

I need to ask myself what is wrong with more horsepower or amperage, nothing right?
I do believe that there were at least 3 types, a 15, a 18, and a 25, and that it is determined by the number of poles on the stator.
A higher power stator would offer much faster charging cycles and additional accessory support.
My take on this is go for the upgrade while your in there ;)
There also was a stator upgrade kit for the Delco 10-SI alternator that would take an anemic 41 amp alternator and punch that up to 80 amps, I had one on my 79 Scout. Boy, did that thing ever punch the amp gauge over right after start up.

Yes, lighting tech has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 5 years or so. I'd like to hear more input from the group about the 4411 LED lights. From what I review on line some swear by them and others claim they have short life span as they are intended as stationary patio and walkway lighting.
Back in the day I worked at North American Phillips lighting (previously Westinghouse.). They were still upgrading the rotary assembly stations for light bulbs that were built in the 1920's. So much did not change for around 60 years. Talk about a return on an investment, wow.

My Wife never cared for the backup lights on her truck, they did little so far as illumination, more of a warning than anything else. I just changed them over to 2600 lumen LED's. Those things light up half the driveway now. Time will tell as far how long they last. I recently upgraded the high beam bulbs on my car as well since I do a lot of night driving wow, those things make the old high beams look like candles!

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Not exactly on topic here however I was so pleased with those high beam bulbs that today I changed out the low beams as well. Going home last night I could make out road signs a third of a mile away with the high beams on. Here's what I went with, $123. for the four of them but damn what a difference they do make.
DSCN8250.JPG
DSCN8250.JPG (567.47 KiB) Viewed 12912 times
So that makes for $214. that I dropped on three sets of light bulbs and back up LED's this week, ouch 8-)

Getting back on track again I'm pretty sure that the 25 amp stator has 12 poles. So there are fewer poles rather than more as one might suspect. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Just thinking out loud. Im not sure of how hard your current setup is on the PTO or stator? But starting your rig with an always engaged pump could be tough. My 18 magnum is pretty tempramental in the cold. That extra load could be really hard. How are other loaders powered?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

DAG
They are all different, my 125/danco was/is always on and mounts in the same place as the n/f hydro pump. The loader on the 1872 is a quick way the pump hangs down in front of the tractor and runs off the pto much like a n/f snow blower. I’d imagine the load is no different then the deck or any other attachments. I’m leaning to a used stator I still haven’t gotten into it. One of these weeeknds I’ll just do it all in a day.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Joe, I started getting curious about this and began investigating on line regarding the stators. Amazon had plenty of the 15 amp units. But it was eBay where some of the 25's started turning up. Those are pricy, while the 15 amp units average at about $60. new, the 25 amp units came in at the 105 to 115 price range.
Some were genuine Kohler units, others aftermarket. I'm sorry that I did not jot down some Kohler part numbers along the way for you but it's easy enough to navigate through.
Also, these 25 amp units shown were 18 pole so my previous statement is inaccurate unless there was a basic design change along the way- my ongoing impression was there were fewer poles using a much thicker wire.
Seems to me somewhere along the way someone told me to veer off from the ones with the wiring painted light blue- that these were early design and prone to failure? IDK :?